Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead has some thoughts on Rams OL…

April 24, 2022 08:14AM
Here’s oldnotdead…

They extended Shelton on a prove-it type 2 year deal. That means something. Right now I believe he's penciled in as a starter. If they draft a OG I doubt they would start a rookie at LG. If Edwards was a FA I have my doubts about his being extended. Both Edwards and Corbett graded out as basically average IMO. Edwards was probably at the low end of average and Corbett at probably a solid middle grade. The fact that Corbett was signed away by the Panthers at what is basically an average market value contract tells me that the Rams didn't make much of an effort to sign him if they made one at all. The Rams had a softer schedule in 2020 so IMO it covered the warts at OG. But those warts were exposed this year when they played higher competition. This year the competition is even better.

IMO actions speak louder than words. IMO Shelton needs to play above average to keep his job. I would expect Anchrum or Evans to be coached up as a backup center. I also expect the Rams to sign a vet OG/C for a look at OG. They might even trade for one as they did with Corbett. Of all their backups Evans IMO has the highest ceiling at OG. This is a make-it or break-it year for him and Edwards. Both Edwards and Evans were OTs converted to OG so that normally extends their development by a year. But Edwards was starting and he struggled two consecutive years with marginal if any improvement. His technique remains inconsistent.

They could very well leave Edwards at LG this year. That said he would have to make an Allen-like jump in his performance to be on the team next year. He like Havenstein might be considered future comp picks. But if the Rams truly want to upgrade their OL then this is the year they make a move to do so either by trade, or draft as it would give them the redshirt year they like for their OL prospects.

Demby, Kolone and Brewer have stuck around because the Rams have seen something in all three. But that doesn't mean they will make the cut this year. UDFAs have to compete each year for roster spots. Coleman Shelton was a UDFA himself. They might very well mine the waiver wire in September after the last cutdown or PS of other teams This is where they found Shelton.

A lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see if they make a trade after the draft, which is what they did in October, 2019 for Corbett who was a backup in Cleveland. The Rams need to rebuild the OG part of their OL and signing Shelton to a prove-it deal was just the start.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead has some thoughts on Rams OL…

Rams43572April 24, 2022 08:14AM

Thanks for posting as always

OzRam148April 24, 2022 08:37AM

Re: Thanks for posting as always

Rams43144April 24, 2022 09:27AM

Re: Oldnotdead has some thoughts on Rams OL…

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram145April 24, 2022 11:57AM

Seriously...

Ridgewood Ram189April 24, 2022 05:19PM

plus 1 watch the Superbowl

ferragamo79239April 24, 2022 06:16PM

Re: plus 1 watch the Superbowl

Classicalwit139April 25, 2022 03:53AM

Re: Seriously...

GroundPounder137April 25, 2022 04:06AM

Re: Seriously...

AlbaNY_Ram117April 25, 2022 04:37AM

I think key words being Shelton "penciled in as a starter"