Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peter King on Bobby Wagner FMIA

April 11, 2022 10:24AM
Late in Jerome Bettis’ career in Pittsburgh, I remember him telling me that no matter what happened to him in football, he always wanted Pittsburgh to be a part of his life. He was going to have a business of some kind there, and he loved the place. If he got less playing time than he thought was fair, or the team drafted his replacement and pushed him out, so be it. That’s short-term. Bettis was thinking about three decades into the future, not three months.

Bobby Wagner reminded me of that last week. We recorded a podcast interview and he was eloquent about his time in Seattle. It didn’t end the way he wanted, but the way he saw it, he’s not going to let that affect the 10 years he spent there, or the future he has there. Let Wagner explain it:

“I think lashing out, that’s the norm. I try to be different. Being older, you can kind of understand some things. I’ve been a part of that organization long enough to see certain guys lash out but then as time heals, they start to come back around the building. So, for me, it was centered around business. It had nothing to do with me personally. It’s more just something they felt that they had to do from a business perspective. No matter how they handled the business, I just kept it at that.

“What they did doesn’t change my perspective on Pete [Carroll, the coach]. What they did doesn’t change my perspective on John [Schneider, the GM]. I was just growing the relationship with Jodi [Allen, the owner], and I hope that relationship continues no matter where I’m at. Definitely I want to make sure when I play them, I’m at my best. I’m definitely motivated to be at my best when I play them. But I think I’m old enough to know that relationships are important and life is short. To hold grudges and have that type of hate in your heart just doesn’t sit with me.

“I’m grateful. I’m humble. I think even after these few weeks, maybe even more grateful … I was honored to be a part of the fan base that embraced me and welcomed me regardless of what jersey I put on.

“I did go to a Kraken game recently, and the fans were amazing. I think we just want to turn into a celebration of 10 years and not have any animosity. My time there was great. I love the fans there. How it ended, I’m not going to let it take away from my time there.”

Just so smart.

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

RFS69
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Peter King on Bobby Wagner FMIA

RamsFanSince69752April 11, 2022 10:24AM

Re: Peter King on Bobby Wagner FMIA

BerendsenRam248April 11, 2022 10:54AM

Re: Peter King on Bobby Wagner FMIA

Ramstien118April 13, 2022 04:45AM