Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More to the story

March 27, 2022 02:54AM
While it's probably true (I didn't check) that the contracts the Rams signed so far this year contain nearly $200M in guaranteed money they have spent a lot more cap dollars than that over the next several years.

Just looking at these three contracts:

Stafford: 4 years, $160M, $64M guaranteed
Robinson: 3 years, $46.5M, $30.75M guaranteed
Havenstein: 4 years, $32.5M, $9M guaranteed

Right there that's $239M in new contracts, but 'only' $103.75M of it is guaranteed. Assuming the ratio of guaranteed money applies to the other contracts the Rams signed this year (and yes, I am too lazy to check), the Rams handed out contracts worth around $454M, of which 'only' $197.5M is guaranteed.

Of note: all $454M counts against the cap when the deals are signed, not just the guaranteed money.

Also of note: the cap hits - even for the guaranteed money - occur over the next 5 season, not just this year.

What is significant about that $197.5M in my mind is that Kroenke had to hand that amount over to the NFL so the league can hold it in escrow for the players. It's an arcane arrangement left over from the days when the players were concerned about the league folding and can probably be done away with. But as long as it's on the books this is one area where Kroenke's billions help with signing players: not every owner can come up with $197.5M in cash to deposit into the NFL's escrow account!!

AlbaNY_Ram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Surprising numbers on team offseason cap dollars spent…

Rams43364March 26, 2022 09:39AM

More to the story

AlbaNY_Ram154March 27, 2022 02:54AM