Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Combine Coverage Day 1

March 04, 2022 10:42AM
TE, QB, WR ...

They're going to be talking about the crazy 40 times ... I'm going to focus on the terrible 3 cone #s of the WR group in comparison to the TE group.

Given our needs and lack of draft capital most of my viewing during this day was late round TEs and setting up my dynasty leagues.

First off Im going top mention some snubs ... I wanted to see Aqueel Glass the QB. I get that D'Eriq King has battled to be here, but he's not NFL material. I wanted to See Gerrit Prince the TE, who I believe would have run in the 4.4s at 245. He was a big play guy for UAB and not having him here feels weird. Last Jarreth Sterns was not here, and he led the FBS in receptions.

QB

Jack Coan, Notre Dame Ya know, his ceiling may be "god backup" but he keeps showing up and throwing solid.

Matt Corral, Mississippi Measured bigger than I thought ... my guess is he's in play for Washington, but I have him as a second rounder.

Dustin Crum, Kent State I feel like he's a Canadian or XFL guy, but he'l likely have some success if his running cxan be a factor against less than NFL athletes.

Kaleb Eleby, Western Michigan Camp arm that might stick on a PS.

Sam Howell, North Carolina I have him higher than Corral. I think you can build a team around him. He's a tough runner with a solid frame, doesn't seem to get injured. Throws a good ball. I think he should have run the 40.

Cole Kelley, Southeastern Louisiana WHOA ... anyone seen his tape? Because if I didn't know all these histories I would assume from his poise, arm strength, and accuracy, that he was in the 1st round conversation.

D'Eriq King, Miami Not interested.

EJ Perry, Brown Kid is a gamer and an athlete, never count those guys out. Better 3 cone and short shuttle than 95% of WRs.

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh He's my best in class. I think the Panthers should take him at 6. He threw solid and showed off athleticism ... basically just below Brown in every category and again beating the WRs in short shuttle and 3 cone.

Brock Purdy, Iowa State He had a good day throwing. I like him as a backup.

Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati They're comparing him to Mariota and while physically I guess that's fair, it's just the physical. The kid is tough as nails and a great leader. Has charisma. Mariota for me always seemed reserved. And he won't be taken as high as Mariota so the pressure issue won't be there (as much). I thought he had a good day throwing also ... I really have he and Corral around the same area.

Carson Strong, Nevada Kid has an arm but will need time and work to be a starter. He threw some good passes, but he's a little stiff and not super accurate.

Skylar Thompson, Kansas State I like this kid but he seems to always be injured. that said he had a decent day passing.

Malik Willis, Liberty So ... this QB is not accurate. When he's on target it's nearly perfect but he misses too often. I can't see just throwing him into the NFL game as an early first rounder or first year starter. Their comp is Jalen Hurts, but Hurts had big game and high competition experience, and was more accurate.

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky Looking at a backup that might surprise everyone and be Drew Brees in 3 years.

WR

Calvin Austin III, Memphis Ran well. Knew he would.

Kevin Austin Jr., Notre Dame This guy jumped out of the building ... and unlike the others matched with a great 3 cone and SS.

David Bell, Purdue Draft him in dynasty leagues, that 4.6 means nothing. Some team is going to get a great football player for a late second.

Slade Bolden, Alabama Guys like this make teams and make everyone around them better. Mac Jones' old roommate so likely a 6th round Patriot.

Treylon Burks, Arkansas Actually watched a good bit of film with him recently. I hate to just agree with announcers but the AJ Brown comp is pretty accurate.

Dai'Jean Dixon, Nicholls State I thought he had a good day, hands looked solid and he moved well. I have not seen tape so ...

Jahan Dotson, Penn State Knew he'd run well. Expected a better 3 cone.

Romeo Doubs, Nevada DNP.

Dontario Drummond, Mississippi Slower than I expected. He's continuing to drop for me ... hands were okay.

Erik Ezukanma, Texas Tech Didn't run. Was big in games often and had a solid day I thought.

Ty Fryfogle, Indiana Ran about what I expected. He's a contested catch guy, so there isn't anythng to learn unless some numbers surprised and they didn't.

Danny Gray, SMU Both SMU receivers are 4th WRs IMO. Gray is faster than I expected after watching tape.

Johnny Johnson III, Oregon Should not have been invited. There were other players.

Velus Jones, Tennessee Did not see that speed coming. Gonna have to re evaluate him.

Drake London, USC DNP, but I have him highly rated.

Bo Melton, Rutgers Liked his return skills and was wowed by his speed.

John Metchie, Alabama DNP I'll have him as a first rounder even with the injury.

Skyy Moore, Western Michigan I didn't think he was that fast. Have to re evaluate.

Jalen Nailor, Michigan State I thought he really helped himself. I had him as late round or UDFA and he had a really solid day.

Chris Olave, Ohio State So ... he was the best WR in the house today. Smooth, confident, fast. He and Drake London will battle it out for best in class. His hands and route running are ridiculous ... did he even do a 3 cone? How could he not have beaten a 7.5?

Kyle Philips, UCLA You have to take guys like this earlier in the draft now. If Im the Cowboys I draft him in the 3rd. Can't be covered in the middle of the field.

George Pickens, Georgia This guy is a story and a half. Maturity issues and injury issues with literal AJ Green talent. Except he runs faster.

Alec Pierce, Cincinnati I wanted to not like him during the year but his play in games was nuts and then he had one of the best performances today of anyone (Christian Watson was the best overall climber IMO)

Makai Polk, Mississippi State Kid bounced around in multiple offense , but I think he';s a good possession receiver with upside.

Charleston Rambo, Miami Just watched one of his better games ... tough contested catches. Again a guy who may go late who can contribute early.

Reggie Roberson Jr., SMU I thought he had a good day, but didn't do anything to stand out in a crowded field.

Wan'Dale Robinson, Kentucky Yep, thought he was fast. Can we like, trade Tutu for him?

Justyn Ross, Clemson DNP

Braylon Sanders, Mississippi Ya know, he made an impression on me today after not doing so during the season.

Khalil Shakir, Boise State This kid made money. Great Senior Bowl but you figure he runs a 4.55 and plays slot only. Then he runs a 4.4 flat. He's a high second round talent that might last till the 4th.

Tyquan Thornton, Baylor DNP in catching .. think he pulled up ... but yeah, he's fast.

Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama Had a below average day on the field I thought. I don't know why evaluators have him as high as they do.

Tré Turner, Virginia Tech meh ...

Christian Watson, North Dakota State So, this kid had himself a day. 4.36 at that size? Showcased, if Im not mistaken a nearly perfect day on the field? He rose quite a bit ...

Isaiah Weston, Northern Iowa Again fast at that size ... have no other tape on him and don't remember him in the drills.

Devon Williams, Oregon neither Oregon ducks should have had invites.

Jameson Williams, Alabama DNP

Garrett Wilson, Ohio State I thought he had a really iffy day. Looked like he was jittery or nervous. His hands were stiff. May not hurt him for most but I dropped him a bit. I wanted to see he and Olave on the same field and Olave was the better WR today by a quite a bit.

Mike Woods, Oklahoma Decent route runner with good hands, mid speed. As expected. 4th WR type.

TE Basically every TE is a target. It's a great class.

Austin Allen, Nebraska Great 3 cone for a big man.

Chase Allen, Iowa State Played behind Kolar so didn't get as many opportunities to be a receiver because he was the blocker. Had great #s and could be a real value in the 6th.

Daniel Bellinger, San Diego State This would be my first choice for a late rounder. Thought he might run well ... great catching the ball as well.

Grant Calcattera, SMU I was never really a fan, he had a below average day I thought.

Greg Dulcich, UCLA He was bigger than I thought.

Jake Ferguson, Wisconsin Good day catching the ball.

Jeremiah Hall, Oklahoma FB is not a lost position, they just have to be able to threaten as pass catchers.

Peyton Hendershot, Indiana 4.8 40, but a really good 3 cone puts him in the conversation for round 6 for us.

Connor Heyward, Michigan State I am a huge fan of this kid. Amazing hands and feet. I'd honestly let him play RB, FB, or TE.

Curtis Hodges, Arizona State Tall drink of water moved pretty well. Showed decent hands.

Charlie Kolar, Iowa State One of my 3rd round targets. Likely does not get there but he'd be my guy if he lasted.

Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina Really a WR in a huge smooth body. Caught the ball effortlessly.

Trey McBride, Colorado State Best in class for me. Tough, natural hands, natural boxing guys out. Tough as nails.

James Mitchell, Virginia Tech DNP

Chig Okonkwo, Maryland Showed good hands I thought ... Have almost no tape on him ...

Cade Otton, Washington DNP

Teagan Quitoriano, Oregon State He had kind of a rough day but I like him a TON as a blocker and he's got better hands than he showcased today.

Jeremy Ruckert, Ohio State DNP

Cole Turner, Nevada Had a rough day and didn't run that fast. May go undrafted in this class, but he can play.

Jelani Woods, Virginia Really climbing this whole year and through the process. Ran really well for a huge man.

Jalen Wydermyer, Texas A&M I thought he regressed. I don't see him playing tough. Has some drops, and that's how he looked today.

Okay ... questions and comments welcome ... I'll try to get every day but not making any promises.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine Coverage Day 1

alyoshamucci841March 04, 2022 10:42AM

Much appreciated Alyo... and...

JamesJM184March 04, 2022 10:44AM

Re: ditto that

leafnose131March 05, 2022 08:29AM

The other days will be separate threads

alyoshamucci137March 05, 2022 06:50PM

yeah, to the point....

leafnose110March 06, 2022 04:29AM

Anyone comparable to this guy?

NewMexicoRam179March 04, 2022 11:35AM

Question - why draft a WR?

Coy Bacon205March 04, 2022 11:45AM

Draft in dynasty fantasy leagues.

alyoshamucci163March 04, 2022 12:31PM

thanks for this, Snead and Mcvay seem to hold low regard for pajama olympics

promomasterj164March 04, 2022 03:55PM

Re: thanks for this, Snead and Mcvay seem to hold low regard for pajama olympics

alyoshamucci196March 05, 2022 06:20AM

Re:Medicals, and yeah that shuttle

leafnose229March 05, 2022 08:29AM

Note regarding the 3 cone ...

alyoshamucci145March 06, 2022 06:19AM

Re: Note regarding the 3 cone ...

leafnose153April 15, 2022 10:53AM

Re: Note regarding the 3 cone ...

Killrazor108April 16, 2022 12:34AM

every thing I am hearing......is this is a weak draft

ferragamo79182March 04, 2022 04:15PM

Other possible TEs 3rd or 4th?