Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lots of players have exceeded expectations, huh?

February 01, 2022 06:31AM
Some are big names, others were lightly regarded reserves.

Let’s see…

Offense

Matthew Stafford. Yes, we all expected much from him but I think he’s exceeded even those high hopes, especially in these playoffs. No hero ball, just been lethal.

Cam Akers. I included Cam because nobody expected to see him until ‘22. Yet here he is making significant contributions in the playoffs. Amazing.

Brian Allen. Not an All Pro but he’s exceeded expectations from the spring without question.

Kendall Blanton. Yes, it was only one game but he stepped up and stood tall when Higbee was injured and really impressed his teammates in the process. He really exceeded my expectations and at a critical moment.

OBJ. Another big name but let’s be honest. His career had kinda plateaued and yet he was forced to learn a new system with a new QB on the fly after Woods’ injury. That ain’t easy. But now he has become a virtually uncoverable weapon teaming with Kupp for Stafford.

Cooper Kupp. Of course we expected a big year from Kupp, but the Triple Crown? A Cinderella season that nobody saw coming, I’m sure.

Joe Noteboom. Rams O never missed a beat when Boom had to fill in. Didn’t surprise me much but I suspect Boom exceeded the expectations of many.

Alaric Jackson. Gonna give AJ an honorable mention for that one game during the Covid restrictions where he played LOT like a 5 year vet. That was huge.

Defense

Greg Gaines. Everybody’s new BFF. He’s become a stud alongside AD right before our eyes. What a feel-good story.

ARob. Don’t look now, but ARob has morphed into a run stopping beast, especially vs Bucs and 49ers.

Von Miller. A very big name player and he cost us a 2nd and a 3rd. Heck, I was lukewarm about this trade, at best. But man, has he ever solidified that edge opposite Floyd. Been superb on contain even against very mobile QB’s and RB’s while putting good pressure on some dangerous QB’s. We’re not in the SB without him, imo. How do you put a value on all that?

Travin Howard. Such a pleasant surprise when he finally got his chance. This kid is all over the place making plays. Has hugely exceeded my expectations.

Ernest Jones. Exceeded my modest expectations for him this year before injury. I think our D got noticeably better after Jones became starter inside. Hope he can play in SB.

Nick Scott. One of the biggest surprises of all. Was drafted to be a ST stud in 7th round and now he’s playing like a Pro Bowler in these playoffs. I don’t see how Morris could possibly sit Scott now. Let Rapp sit except in special packages.

Eric Weddle. I literally rolled my eyes at this late ‘desperation’ signing. Seriously. But Dang! Weddle is not merely bringing the intangibles to this D, but is also bringing the wood. Leading tackler in 49ers game, I believe? This is kinda getting into Kurt Warner type Cinderella story territory if you ask me.

Special Teams

Generally speaking, after a very sputtering start, DeCamillis has molded the return and coverage units into among the league’s best. Kudos to one and all. Special mention for Brandon Powell as returner. I’d never heard of him and certainly didn’t expect much when he was signed. He was about the 14th candidate as returner, wasn’t he? But Wow! Has he ever been a breath of fresh air.

Well, that’s my list. Probably missed a favorite or two of yours, but it’s a helluva list, nonetheless.

Two things.

There are a lot of unsung quality assistants behind these listed players greatly involved with their respective development. I’m not gonna name names but I guarantee that McVay knows about each and every one of them. Some will likely be poached by smart teams this offseason.

The other thing is that without many of these listed players who’ve exceeded expectations the Rams don’t sniff the SB.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Lots of players have exceeded expectations, huh?

Rams43195February 01, 2022 06:31AM

Blanton really has my attention...

JamesJM94February 01, 2022 06:38AM

Re: Blanton really has my attention...

Rams4363February 01, 2022 06:54AM

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram153February 01, 2022 06:57AM

JamesJM51February 01, 2022 07:00AM

Rams43125February 01, 2022 07:07AM

I'll be interested to the PFF grades......

21Dog67February 01, 2022 07:18AM

That could be...

JamesJM36February 01, 2022 07:25AM

JYB152February 01, 2022 07:04AM