Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baldy’ Niner Run Offense Analysis

January 24, 2022 07:45PM
[youtu.be]

Baldy's Niner Run Offense Analysis

Niners want to create huge run lanes preferably in the middle of the field. To do this they intend to get defensive linemen on skates and then sweep them to the sidelines in a nice straight line parallel to goal line.

How they get the defensive linemen on skates is by causing them to read presnap motion and adjust to it. The adjustments typically move the defensive linemen in the direction that the offensive linemen want to move them. But not always.

This is why the Cowboys were flagged twice for defensive holding. Odigizuwa and Gregory were trying to hold Niner offensive linemen in place to keep them from creating lanes.

Now, also listen for Baldy to mention many times the inside linebacker is never blocked. The Niners also get him out of position by presnap motion and counter backfield motion away from quarterback exchanges. That counter threat keeps the inside backer from reading where the actual play is being run and is usually enough to get him off his spot to miss the tackle.

Clearly this presents difficulties. It’s tempting to bring hard pressure and try to tackle Jimmy for a loss while he is running Run/Pass/Option (RPO).

But when pressure isn’t fast enough or when it’s out of place due to presnap adjustments, then the pocket pressure gets swept aside.

The main thing from what I can tell is the Niners manipulate the front seven—mostly presnap—so that the defensive line is readied for the leverage the play was drawn up to exploit.

So, they may fake presnap motion one way and go the other. But sometimes they throw in a little complexity to fake it back.

I thought our often berated Joe Barry did a decent job of game planning the Packer front seven against the Niner run offense.

I don’t see everything, so I hope you all can add more insights as I may have oversimplified this.

We Not Me
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Baldy’ Niner Run Offense Analysis

Ekern55387January 24, 2022 07:45PM

Re: Baldy’ Niner Run Offense Analysis

napoli233January 24, 2022 09:22PM

Might explain some of the 19 missed tkls..(nm)

Ramsfsninmd118January 25, 2022 02:58AM

Re: Baldy’ Niner Run Offense Analysis

Ekern5598January 25, 2022 07:47AM

I've always maintained their run offense........

21Dog160January 25, 2022 04:07AM

Re: I've always maintained their run offense........

Ekern55191January 25, 2022 07:52AM

Niners must love seeing Reeder in there (nm)

BigGame8194January 25, 2022 07:48AM

Re: Good Xs and Os from. 9er fan

Ekern55178January 25, 2022 10:26AM