Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Texans ask to interview Rams OC Kevin O'Connell for head coach position

January 19, 2022 02:48PM
BerendsenRam

Because O’Connell would be going from offensive coordinator to head coach if he were to be hired by another team, McVay can’t block the interview. He could if it were a lateral move, going from coordinator to coordinator.

McVay could have prevented Matt LaFleur from leaving his job as Offensive Coordinator after 2017 season since he left to take the same job with the Tennessee Titans. But it's clear why Matt LaFleur left in a June 6, 2018 article on the Tennessee Titans website:

Without a doubt, of course, LaFleur's biggest challenge this season will be taking over the role of play-caller for the first time in his career.

Though he had a big hand in assisting the offense at previous stops, even serving as the Los Angeles Rams' offensive coordinator last season, LaFleur has never been the key decision-maker.

What better way to help learn that role than by simulating game play-calling conditions during practice? That's why Vrabel has made extensive use of unscripted periods during OTAs, forcing coordinators to adjust their plays and personnel on the fly – while the play clock is ticking away.

"They've been very good for me," LaFleur said of the unscripted sessions. "Just having that (play clock) going pretty fast … so you have to think on your feet fast. Anytime we have one of those unscripted periods, I'm going to treat it very much like a game.

"I'm not just going to come out here blindly calling plays. I'm going to do my homework so when we get out here, just like on game days, we're prepared to put these guys in good position."

LaFleur has passed every test on the coaching ladder thus far, guiding Griffin to his best season, mentoring Ryan to an NFL MVP year, and helping to completely transform Goff and the Rams' offense last year.

This latest challenge will be LaFleur's greatest. But if he learns as well as he teaches, expect good things to happen.

It's obvious that LaFleur wanted the play-calling responsibility and he knew he'd never have it if he stayed with the Rams. So, after one season with the Rams he moved on to a team which allowed him to do just that.

I'm just curious if the Rams would fill the Offensive Coordinator position with someone else who's only allowed to do 1/2 the job or if they'll leave the position vacant which is what they did in 2018 & 2019.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Texans ask to interview Rams OC Kevin O'Connell for head coach position

BerendsenRam167January 19, 2022 08:40AM

with the success of the McVay coaching tree....won't be shocked if he is hired

Rampage2K-157January 19, 2022 09:16AM

Re: with the success of the McVay coaching tree....won't be shocked if he is hired

WhiteHorns74January 19, 2022 09:56AM

MamaRAMa46January 19, 2022 02:48PM

303048January 19, 2022 02:57PM