Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jalen Ramsey says Cooper Kupp has helped him become a better DB

January 05, 2022 08:27AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Jalen Ramsey says Cooper Kupp has helped him become a better DB

Cameron DaSilva
January 5, 2022 5:43 am PT
Jalen Ramsey has been the best defensive back in the league for a couple of years now, earning Pro Bowl selections in all three seasons that he’s been with the Rams. Yet, he’s still found ways to improve as a defender, putting together what might be his best season in the NFL this year.

He’s taken on a new role as the “star,” or the defender who lines up over the slot, which has led to frequent matchups with Cooper Kupp in practice and training camp. It’s a battle between the league’s best DB and the best slot receiver, which only helps each player get better over time.

Ramsey spoke with Rams Wire via phone Tuesday and heaped praise on Kupp for being a great player and the ultimate teammate. He also said Kupp has helped him get better as a DB, elevating his game since joining the Rams in 2019.

“I joked about this last week when I talked to the local media and I said, ‘Man, I lock up Cooper Kupp all the time in practice and during camp,” Ramsey said. “I was half-serious and half-joking because honestly, me and Cooper have had some great battles – especially with me playing the ‘star’ role, he’s helped me elevate my game and try to perfect my short-area quickness. Just playing in the slot because he is dominant in that slot. He is the best in the league doing it. He’s so savvy. He knows how to work off leverages. He knows how to read coverages pre-snap, during the middle of the play. And he knows how to use his strengths to be a strength and he knows how to limit his weaknesses so they’re not taken advantage of in the game. He’s just the ultimate professional and the ultimate teammate. I could go on and on about how good of a teammate he is, how good of a player he is.”

Kupp is on the verge of potentially breaking single-season records for the most receptions and receiving yards, needing 12 catches and 136 yards in Week 18 to finish first in both categories. He’s put together a historic season with 15 games of 90-plus yards, consistently producing for the Rams and Matthew Stafford.

Ramsey has been equally good, setting career-highs in tackles and tackles for a loss, while also sitting one interception and two pass breakups shy of career marks in those departments. With Ramsey and Kupp both under contract long-term, it’s not crazy to think they’ll only keep making each other better in the coming years.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jalen Ramsey says Cooper Kupp has helped him become a better DB

BerendsenRam109January 05, 2022 08:27AM