Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay confident in Coleman Shelton if needed again in Week 14

December 07, 2021 09:17AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay confident in Coleman Shelton if needed again in Week 14

Skyler Carlin
December 7, 2021 9:58 am PT

It was an early first-quarter exit for Brian Allen in the Rams’ 30-point win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Allen left the game with a knee injury after just one offensive play and was unable to return. Coleman Shelton would replace Allen for the rest of the game and Sean McVay seems confident that Shelton could fill in at the center position if Allen misses time.

“I thought he did a really good job. Coleman’s been a guy that he’s been really steady. He’s been a great communicator, has great command of what we’re trying to get done. I thought he physically played tough and steady – in really both the run and the past phases. Really pleased with him and not in the least bit surprised, but you are certainly proud of the way that he came in,” McVay said. “There was a lot of different things that they can present defensively. I thought he and Matthew (Stafford) did an outstanding job of kind of commanding that. Really proud of him. I thought he did a really, really nice job to come in there and do what he did. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get Brian back, but I certainly have a whole lot of confidence in Coleman if he’s got to go this week.”

The Rams have diagnosed Allen with a sprained MCL and they are saying he’s day-to-day, giving him a chance to suit up in Week 14 versus the Arizona Cardinals.

The good news is that the Rams don’t play until Monday night, giving Allen an extra day to recover. But if Allen is deemed unable to go, Shelton would draw his first start of the season at center.

Shelton recorded a season-high 99% of the offensive snaps in Week 13 against the Jaguars. There were times where Shelton struggled, but for the most part, he held his own against a middling defensive front of the Jaguars.

Pro Football Focus gave him a pass-blocking grade of 74.1 and a run-blocking grade of 63.6, both solid numbers given the circumstances.

McVay made it clear that he’d love to see Allen available for the Rams whenever they play on Monday Night Football in a highly anticipated NFC West matchup against the Cardinals. However, McVay is confident that Shelton can perform well in the event that he’s asked to start in place of Allen this week.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay confident in Coleman Shelton if needed again in Week 14

BerendsenRam84December 07, 2021 09:17AM

IMO I thought Shelton was Solid.

den-the-coach101December 07, 2021 09:45AM

Re: IMO I thought Shelton was Solid.

BerendsenRam54December 07, 2021 09:53AM