December 04, 2021 09:28AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Is Sony Michel poised to unseat Darrell Henderson Jr. as Rams' starting RB?

Cameron DaSilva
December 4, 2021 4:01 am PT

The Rams’ running game has not been very productive this season, and not strictly because Sean McVay has abandoned it too early at times. They’re averaging just 4.0 yards per carry as a team and have rushed for 1,047 yards and seven touchdowns – which rank 24th and 27th, respectively.

Darrell Henderson Jr. has been the lead back all season with the exception of Week 3 when he was sidelined by an injury, which was Sony Michel’s lone opportunity to start. He could get another chance to take over as the No. 1 running back this week against the Jaguars because Henderson is listed as questionable.

But even if Henderson plays, it sounds like Michel could get more carries and playing time against Jacksonville. Sean McVay said Friday that although Michel and Henderson are good complementary backs, he likes the way Michel runs and sees him as a complete back.

“I think they’re really good complements of one another, but Sony, he’s a pro. He’s tough, he’s physical. I love the way that he levels runs off. He’s got great run instincts,” he said. “All the things that have made him such a successful back, whether you go back to his career at Georgia, all the success he had in his career at New England. I think he’s really brought a big boost to our football team. He’s a complete back, he can do a lot of different things for you, but the physicality, the toughness, the ability to level runs off and the ability to compete in protection are some of the things that I think really stand out about his game.”

What’s most notable about McVay’s comments is that he said Michel keeps the Rams on track offensively. Too often, they find themselves behind the chains, facing second- and third-and-long situations that force Matthew Stafford to put the ball in the air.

Michel’s toughness and hard-nosed running could help the Rams stay in third-and-manageable, which would keep the playbook open for runs and passes rather than constantly having to drop back with 7-plus yards to the sticks.

“He keeps you on track. That’s really important,” McVay said. “Being able to fall forward, if a run is blocked for three, being able to fall forward for five or six, that’s huge and I think that’s what he does. Different styles, but kind of in a similar sense, when we had C.J. Anderson a couple years ago, you’re able to stay on track, you’re able to establish a rhythm, be able to have some drive continuity. You’re in third-and-manageable much more frequently. All those things go hand in hand. So much of what we talk about – and really what I know other teams talk about around this league – being efficient on the early downs. He gives you an opportunity to stay efficient and stay on track and that’s so vital for the success of really any offense because of how difficult defenses make it snap in and snap out.”

Henderson could be a game-time decision but even if he does play, he may not be 100% healthy. It could be Michel’s time to shine and if he impresses against the Jaguars, he may not let go of the RB1 role.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Is Sony Michel poised to unseat Darrell Henderson Jr. as Rams' starting RB?

BerendsenRam426December 04, 2021 09:28AM

No. Nm

Speedball89228December 04, 2021 12:55PM

Re: If Sony Michel is CJ Anderson

RamsFanSince69357December 04, 2021 02:48PM

Re: If Sony Michel is CJ Anderson

SoCalRAMatic142December 04, 2021 04:19PM

Miss Malcolm Brown as a short-yardage/power guy

JimYoungblood53164December 04, 2021 07:44PM

Re: Miss Malcolm Brown as a short-yardage/power guy

SoCalRAMatic74December 05, 2021 04:36AM

quality role players like Brown.....