Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford: 'It's on me' to get Odell Beckham Jr. involved

November 12, 2021 09:11AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Matthew Stafford: 'It's on me' to get Odell Beckham Jr. involved

Skyler Carlin
November 12, 2021 9:01 am PT
The sports world was taken aback on Thursday upon hearing the news of Odell Beckham Jr. signing with the Los Angeles Rams following his release from the Cleveland Browns. When a player of Beckham’s stature joins a contending team, it’s only expected that everyone on the team will be asked about his arrival.

Seeing that Matthew Stafford is the captain of the offense, and the one who will be tasked with getting Beckham the ball, he spoke about how the newly acquired wideout alters the dynamic of the current wide receiver room for the Rams.

“What he’s done in the past, what he’s been able to do in his career is well-documented. He’s a very talented player, a Pro Bowl receiver and it’s on me to give him the ball when he has the opportunities, our guys to scheme him up and get chances for him. I’m just excited that he’s part of our team,” Stafford said. “As far as what defenses do, I haven’t played a whole lot of defense in my life, but I imagine the more number of receivers we can get out on the field and run down the field, the scarier it’s going to be.”

The addition of Beckham definitely changes the outlook of the wide receiver room for the Rams. Cooper Kupp is having a historic campaign, while Robert Woods has been steadily finding his groove with Stafford, and Van Jefferson is amidst a career year. But Stafford understands the talent that Beckham possesses, even after his stint with the Browns didn’t pan out.

“I have a lot of respect for who he is as a player. Been watching him do his thing for a long time. Got a chance to play with him in a Pro Bowl. Watched the way he worked, the way we went about his business. Have a lot of respect for him,” Stafford said. “So, it’s an opportunity for us as a team. It’s an opportunity for him to come in here and prove himself to us. The receiver room is pretty special. I know he’ll fit right in and just continue to get better and hopefully to help us as a team.”

After having a disappointing tenure in Cleveland, it’s likely music to Beckham’s ears to hear his new quarterback speak about ways for the Rams to “scheme him up” plays moving forward. At the same time, Stafford does not envy defenses that have to gameplan for all of the firepower that Los Angeles now has on offense.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Matthew Stafford: 'It's on me' to get Odell Beckham Jr. involved

BerendsenRam120November 12, 2021 09:11AM