Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Larry Fitzgerald breaks down what makes Cooper Kupp so great

November 04, 2021 09:33AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
November 4, 2021 10:01 am PT
Cooper Kupp has flat-out erupted this season with Matthew Stafford as his quarterback, leading the NFL in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns through eight games. Though he was never really in the conversation as the best wide receiver in football prior to this season, he’s certainly earning that recognition halfway through the 2021 campaign.

Legendary wideout Larry Fitzgerald knows a great receiver when he sees one and there’s nothing that makes him believe Kupp couldn’t thrive in any offense. He broke down what makes Kupp so productive, pointing to his size, separation ability and hands.

“He’s having a phenomenal year leading the league in touchdown receptions at this point right now, I believe, and has been Matt Stafford’s safety blanket,” Fitzgerald said on his podcast with Tom Brady and Jim Gray. “He’s beat guys on the outside, he’s beat them inside with choice routes, up the seam, over the top. I mean, he’s just been able to do it in every single fashion. I think Cooper Kupp’s game could work anywhere. He’s got that type of ability. He’s big, he’s fast, he separates, he’s got tremendous hands. He’s really good in the run game. I mean, you see his effort, the way he blocks in the run game. The guy’s a complete player and you can tell he just does things the right way.”

What’s taken Kupp’s game to another level this season is his downfield route running. Previously, he was more of an underneath receiver who worked the middle of the field out of the slot, but he’s evolved into a more dynamic player who catches passes at every level.

Fitzgerald is destined for the Hall of Fame and there are few players in NFL history like him, but Kupp does share some similarities to Fitzgerald’s game when he was in the second half of his career.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam499November 04, 2021 09:33AM

Re: Larry Fitzgerald breaks down what makes Cooper Kupp so great

JYB220November 04, 2021 09:49AM

it was announcers who mentioned it (nm)

ferragamo79125November 04, 2021 03:43PM

21Dog145November 04, 2021 04:37PM

waterfield298November 04, 2021 06:28PM

Finally - the comparison I called out early in Kupps career