Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Texans coach David Culley likens Ramsey to Deion Sanders…

October 27, 2021 07:29AM
Texans coach David Culley likens Jalen Ramsey to Deion Sanders

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Skyler Carlin

David Culley, the head coach of the Houston Texans, knows that his team is going to have their hands full with Jalen Ramsey on the opposite side of the field when his team faces the Los Angeles Rams in Week 8.

When speaking about the All-Pro cornerback, Culley likened Ramsey’s ability to shut down areas of the field to the way Hall of Famer Deion Sanders did.

Though Culley isn’t saying Ramsey is Sanders, the comparison is warranted because of the way Ramsey has played in the early part of his career, especially now in Los Angeles.

Here’s what Culley told Rams reporters, via The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue.

“The thing about it, he’s one of the guys in this league who people consider ‘shutdown players,'” Culley said of Ramsey. “Obviously, when you do that – I go way back in my career, when I was in Philadelphia and we were playing the Cowboys. They had a guy named Deion Sanders. And it was almost like it was unfair, sometimes, because it was like you were playing 11 on 10, because the guy he covered got taken completely out of the game. So it kind of made it unfair. I’m not saying Jalen is Deion Sanders, but he is a very, very good player. I can remember when he was in Jacksonville, I had some dealings with him there also. He’s just one of those guys that, when you’ve got him on defense it makes you better. You can play things a little differently when you’ve got a guy like that on your team, and they’re very fortunate to have a guy like that.”

Ever since last season under Brandon Staley, Ramsey has been operating in the ‘star’ role for the Rams, which means he’s used in a variety of ways. Raheem Morris has elected to deploy Ramsey in a similar manner this season with fruitful results.

While Ramsey is flying sideline-to-sideline making plays, he has seen less time shadowing an opposing team’s best wide receiver. That doesn’t mean Ramsey isn’t finding ways to limit what opposing teams can do whenever he’s on the field.

In Sunday’s win over the Lions, Ramsey allowed only two receptions for 10 yards and he captured a game-sealing interception in the fourth quarter. He also made his presence felt earlier in the game when he delivered a massive hit on Jared Goff in the pocket to force an incomplete pass.

It’s always tough trying to compare current players to all-time greats, especially someone that was as dominant as Sanders. But at 27 years old, if Ramsey can maintain his current trajectory, there’s a good chance he is remembered as one of the best cornerbacks to ever play in the NFL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2021 07:29AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Texans coach David Culley likens Ramsey to Deion Sanders…

Rams43264October 27, 2021 07:29AM

I’d take Ramsey over Sanders in his prime straight up…

Rams43230October 27, 2021 07:31AM

Re: I’d take Ramsey over Sanders in his prime straight up…

21Dog161October 27, 2021 07:42AM

Islander Ram141October 27, 2021 07:45AM

oldschoolramfan88October 27, 2021 09:03AM

SoCalRAMatic200October 27, 2021 07:48AM

Close but Sanders' many house calls gives him the edge for me

stlramz114October 27, 2021 08:10AM

i'd take Revis in his prime over both - Take a look at these numbers (2009)

NJRam71579October 27, 2021 01:39PM

They're only similar in terms of greatness tbh

merlin97October 27, 2021 09:58AM

I agree and glad to see some acknowledgment for JR

Atlantic Ram193October 27, 2021 02:22PM