Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raheem Morris focused on Rams but would welcome head-coaching opportunities

October 23, 2021 09:30AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Skyler Carlin
October 23, 2021 4:59 am PT

Raheem Morris is in his first year as the defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams and he may not hold that position for long. In what has been a long line of Sean McVay assistants that have earned promotions in the coaching ranks, Morris could be the next to be given a chance to become a head coach (again).

Ahead of Sunday’s game with the Detroit Lions, Morris discussed his level of interest in accepting a head-coaching position if the opportunity would present itself.

“That’s a great compliment you’re giving me right here with a question form. You’re absolutely right, I am focused on the Rams and like winning football games in the next week. I think the best coaches in our profession, they do that, but you can’t deny those opportunities that will arise and you’ve got to be ready for those opportunities to come up, to be able to present yourself in front of people,” Morris said. “I certainly will welcome those when they come, and if they come and if you’re fortunate enough for them to come. I think sometimes people get kind of blown away by that the thought that you should be in that position or you should get an opportunity as opposed to going out there and earning the opportunity and taking advantage and when they do come. I’m a moment guy. Right now, I’m focused completely on the Detroit Lions and going out there and trying to get a win.”

Morris isn’t a stranger to being a head coach in the NFL. He was the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2009-2011, producing a 10-6 record in 2010 with Josh Freeman as his quarterback. He also was the interim head coach of the Atlanta Falcons in 2020 after Dan Quinn was fired.

Since Morris’ lone chance to be a head coach, he inexplicably didn’t get another interview for a head-coaching vacancy until this past offseason. But after failing to secure one of the open jobs, Morris accepted the defensive coordinator role on the Rams, replacing Brandon Staley.

There could be a few coaching vacancies created during the season in the NFL, and at the end of the year, there will be coaches that are ousted by their current teams. Also, there are college programs *cough* USC *cough* that are seeking head coaches right now.

While Morris is laser-focused on preparing for the Lions in Week 7, he realizes that getting a head-coaching gig is the ultimate goal when you’re coaching at any level. If the Rams continue to perform well on the defensive side of the ball, it’s safe to say that Morris will deservedly drum up interest from various teams as the season progresses.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam536October 23, 2021 09:30AM

Sounds GREAT to me!

Ramsdude264November 30, 2021 06:52AM

Re: Sounds GREAT to me!

Ramstien211November 30, 2021 07:02AM

Seems laughable, doesn’t it?

Rams4382November 30, 2021 07:04AM

The mind..what a terrible thing to waste....

roman1868November 30, 2021 10:26AM

Re: Seems laughable, doesn’t it?

Ramsdude82November 30, 2021 12:12PM

April fools!

Speedball8956November 30, 2021 10:36AM

Re: April fools!

SB34RAMS165November 30, 2021 10:48AM

Please GO!!!!!

ferragamo7949November 30, 2021 12:06PM