Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford is letting defenses dictate which WR he targets

October 14, 2021 10:59AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
October 14, 2021 6:46 am PT

In the first four weeks of the season, it seemed to some like Matthew Stafford was forcing the ball to Cooper Kupp a bit too much. Kupp had 46 targets compared to just 25 for Robert Woods, which led to a healthy conversation between Sean McVay and Woods about how to get him involved more.

In Week 5, Woods caught 12 passes for 150 yards, seeing 14 targets against the Seahawks – more than he had in his previous two games combined. It was good to see both Woods and Kupp heavily involved in the game plan, helping Stafford rack up a season-high 365 yards passing.

Stafford isn’t purposely looking one receiver’s way more than another, and is instead letting the defense dictate where the ball goes. He says the Rams are at their best when he’s spreading the ball around to different receivers, getting it into the hands of whoever is open.

“That’s just the game. Certain defenses are going to allow you to throw the ball into certain places. Robert was in those places and he did a great job of making the most of the opportunities,” Stafford said Wednesday. “He had some great catches going down and getting the ball a couple of times, catching and running on some balls. In other weeks there’s going to be other players that get opportunities based on that coverage. First third down in the game, if you told me that ball was going to Van Jefferson’s backside, I’d probably tell you you’re crazy. I didn’t think that was going to be the place that’s going to go, but the defense dictated that it went there. I’m just trying to make sure that I get the ball to the appropriate receiver. I’m not a hundred percent when it goes to that. I’m trying to do my best and spread the ball around because I do think when we’re spreading the ball around and the defense has to cover and honor everybody that we’re sending vertical, that’s when we’re at our best.”

Woods and Kupp are still the most-targeted receivers on offense for Stafford, seeing 39 and 56 passes thrown their way, respectively. Van Jefferson (22) and Tyler Higbee (20) have been the third and fourth options, while DeSean Jackson and Darrell Henderson Jr. have each been targeted 13 times.

Stafford shouldn’t intentionally be throwing to different receivers for the sake of spreading it around and keeping everyone happy. It doesn’t seem like that’s the case, either. But he’s doing a great job of getting different receivers involved and keeping the defense honest so they can’t key on one player.

If teams do begin to double Kupp, Woods and Jefferson will be open. If they shift coverage deep to account for Jackson, underneath routes will be open. That’s why Stafford says the Rams are best when they’re spreading around the touches. It becomes a tough offense to stop.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam158October 14, 2021 10:59AM