Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It sounds like Robert Rochell will remain a starter after up-and-down debut

October 09, 2021 10:26AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
October 9, 2021 5:59 am PT

The Rams made a big change in the secondary against the Seahawks in Week 5, swapping out David Long Jr. in favor of rookie Robert Rochell at cornerback. It was the first career start for Rochell, who played most of the game in the Rams’ win over Seattle.

Long, on the other hand, played a season-low seven snaps, primarily because Darious Williams suffered an ankle injury in the fourth quarter. The switch at cornerback came after Long was exposed in coverage by the Cardinals in Week 4, hoping that Rochell would be an upgrade despite being so inexperienced.

Rochell had an up-and-down debut as a starter, allowing a touchdown catch by DK Metcalf and committing pass interference to give the Seahawks a big gain in the first half. However, he also broke up a pass to Tyler Lockett in the end zone, an impressive athletic play by Rochell.

Based on Sean McVay’s comments Friday, it sure sounds like Rochell will remain a starter moving forward and McVay expects him to keep getting better with experience.

“I liked the way Rochell handled himself,” McVay said. “And sometimes when you get thrown in the fire like that – he misjudged the one touchdown to Metcalf a little bit, but he made a huge breakup on Lockett on the next drive. He’s a mentally tough kid. He’s unfazed. It’s not too big for him. I like the look in his eye during games too. You can get a really good feel for some of these younger players just by what does it look like? How do they handle the ebbs and flows of a game? And when the stuff really counts – especially in that type of atmosphere and environment, and certainly wasn’t perfect, but his competitiveness, his toughness, his resolve, all those things that I think are really important to be a good football player. I thought that was demonstrated yesterday and I think he’s only going to improve and get more and more comfortable and confident.”

Rochell was a promising prospect in the draft this year because of his combination of size, quickness and sheer athleticism. That’s a big reason why the Rams took him in the fourth round despite knowing he might need time to develop his technique.

But with the leaping ability and ball skills that he has, Rochell is able to provide value in the secondary almost right away.

“He’s a long guy in person and he plays long. There are certain guys that are big that don’t play big, but he plays with great length,” McVay added. “But he also has the short-space quickness and the lateral agilities to be able to play on the perimeter and do the things that are necessary to play the cornerback position at an elite level. He’s got tools. He’s got those traits for a guy that didn’t have a whole lot of experience where everybody wants to use the phrase ‘Oh, he’s green.’ I think he’s got a great football acumen and a good feel, but that repetition is the mother of learning. I think he uses the reps the right way and understands how to apply it.”

The sooner Rochell can get fully up to speed with the Rams, the better off this secondary will be because Long had his share of struggles in the first four games.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam163October 09, 2021 10:26AM