Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: An excerpt from a Brett Stuter article about halftime adjustments…

October 06, 2021 10:12AM
Rams43
Here’s Brett Stuter…

Where are those halftime adjustments?

In 2020, the one thing that stood out about the Rams defense was the miraculous ways that the team was able to go into the locker room at halftime and emerge as a completely different defense. Yards were tougher to come by, and points were almost unheard of. In the first five games of 2020, the defense surrendered just 23 points in the second half of all five games combined. In 2021? The defense has given up 55 points in the second half of just the first four games.

There is your bogey. There is the trouble. The LA Rams are not adjusting whatsoever to what offenses are doing to them. It’s already cost them one game. It will likely cost them more.

This may be the same basic scheme. It may be a defense that has many of the same rotating coverage concepts. But we know that offensive coordinators were able to decipher the cryptic disguises and score points on the Rams in the first half. But after halftime? The Rams re-encrypted the defense, and offenses were left in confusion.

That is not happening this year. Right now, I’m not even certain that the Rams are failing miserably at that one area where they excelled a year ago.

Halftime adjustments. It’s both an exercise in humility (they are beating us here and there), as well as an opportunity to shine (we can do this and do that to stop them). It’s one of the key missing ingredients from the 2021 NFL defense. The disappointing part to all of that? That one is on the coaching staff, folks.

I said this in another thread. If Morris is making any adjustments, I am not seeing them. Maybe he is trying to adjust but just doesn't have the talent to be able to do it well.

Staley didn't have experience either and he excelled at adjustments so I am thinking this is a "talent" thing. Either you got "it" or you don't. So far, it's looking like Morris just doesn't have "it".

The scheme might be the same and the players are similar but let's be honest. Morris couldn't carry Staley's jock strap right now. This hire could be a BIG mistake by McVay because I am not sure how he can fix it. He won't fire Morris in season. It's not McVay's M.O.. He might get more involved in the D but I am not sure how much he would be able to change anything. I could see McVay moving on from him next season if this continues though albeit at the expense of THIS season which is a shame.

IMO, the failed adjustments by our DC are more of an issue than the "scheme" or the players not playing well enough. IMO, this is Morris's biggest flaw and I am not sure how long we can wait while Morris "learns on the job".

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An excerpt from a Brett Stuter article about halftime adjustments…

Rams43223October 06, 2021 09:57AM

Ramsdude119October 06, 2021 10:12AM

BerendsenRam160October 06, 2021 10:29AM

joram100October 06, 2021 02:22PM