Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay explains why he likes having a Thursday game early in the season

October 05, 2021 09:26AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
October 5, 2021 5:57 am PT
Coming out of Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals, the Rams won’t have much time to prepare for their next opponent, the Seahawks. While the condensed schedule is rough on players with just three days to recover before playing another game, the Rams will get a mini bye week after going up to Seattle on Thursday night.

For that reason, Sean McVay is happy the Rams’ Thursday night contest is coming early in the season – far in advance of their Week 11 bye. There are fewer injuries to manage earlier in the year than there might be down the stretch, which makes it easier for players to be ready for a Thursday night game after playing just four days prior.

“That would be my preference. I like having a Thursday game. I think the main reason that I look at that is reflective of, number one for our players, being able to have a short turnaround with what that does to their bodies,” McVay said Monday. “The earlier you can have that in the season, the better where there’s not that accumulation of the wear and tear, but also, you’d like to see some sort of separation because this serves as a mini bye where the players are mandated to get three days off. And that’s the approach that we’ve kind of taken anyways, giving them Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get themselves rejuvenated, refreshed. And then if you have a bye, kind of similar to where we have it, feel like it situates itself nicely for our players, most importantly, and then there’s an element for the coaches to be able to get some time with their families. But the main reason is, just earlier is better because it serves as a mini bye. Especially if it’s a handful of weeks away from when your normal bye is as well.”

After facing the Seahawks this Sunday, the Rams will be back on the road again in Week 6. They’ll travel across the country to face the Giants on Oct. 17, an early 1 p.m. ET kickoff. Those are always rough for West Coast teams, but at least the Rams will be coming off 10 days rest before that matchup, making the travel schedule and preparation a bit easier.

Then they’ll face the Lions, Texans, Titans and 49ers before their Week 11 bye. This upcoming stretch is critical, with very favorable matchups against the Giants, Lions and Texans – and even the Titans, who just lost to the Jets.

Bouncing back with a win over the Seahawks this week will go a long way toward righting the ship after a difficult loss.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam83October 05, 2021 09:26AM