Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford hasn't lost to the Cardinals since 2015

October 01, 2021 10:17AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
October 1, 2021 5:30 am PT

There’s been a lot of talk about the Rams’ dominance against the Cardinals in the last four years, with Los Angeles winning eight straight. It’s been almost five years since the Rams lost to Arizona, owning their division rival since Sean McVay took over.

What shouldn’t get overlooked is how well Matthew Stafford has played in his last four games against the Cardinals. In fact, it’s been six years since he lost to Arizona.

That game was in Week 5 of the 2015 season, a 42-17 loss by the Lions. Stafford threw one touchdown pass and three picks in the loss, sinking Detroit’s record to 0-5. It wasn’t all on him, especially considering the defense allowed 35 unanswered points after the Lions grabbed a 7-0 lead, but his three turnovers didn’t help and led to him being benched for Dan Orlovsky.

Since that game, however, Stafford has played exceptionally well against the Cardinals. In his last four starts against Arizona, he has 1,048 yards and nine touchdowns, only throwing one interception in his 140 pass attempts. He’s 3-0-1 in his last four games when facing the Cardinals after starting his career 0-5 against them.

The last time he lost to Arizona way back in 2015, the Rams were still playing in St. Louis, Jeff Fisher was the head coach and Jared Goff hadn’t even been drafted yet. The Rams went 7-9 that year, their ninth straight losing season.

A lot has changed since then and Stafford is better equipped to beat the Cardinals now than ever before, given his supporting cast in L.A. But he’s not taking them lightly, knowing the talent they have on both sides of the ball.

“I feel like I’ve played them a bunch in my career and always a big challenge — whether we were going to their place or coming to Detroit,” he said Wednesday. “Always a big challenge led by an extremely high-powered offense. Kyler (Murray) is playing out of this world. Those guys on the outside are making great catches and getting open. So, it’s a tough task I know for our defense to go up against that offense and it’s a big task for us on offense to go up against.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam51October 01, 2021 10:17AM