Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams v Colts-In-person overview

September 20, 2021 06:55AM
Good morning,

As communicated the other day when the question was asked, my buddy and I traveled to Indianapolis to witness the game. Wow, what a rollercoaster! The RAMS are now 2-0 and on to the most important game, the Bucs.

First, let me say, I knew it was going to be a great weekend when on our flight from Minneapolis to Indianapolis there were about half a dozen Ram fans on the plane. Provided there were only about 50 people in all, I thought this was pretty impressive.

We were unable to secure a downtown hotel, so we stayed about 11 miles SW of downtown. Spent Saturday taking in some of the sights and sounds of the city, but mainly watching college football. Over the two days we saw about a dozen Ram fans staying at our hotel.

Not knowing what to expect from a crowd standpoint, we took an uber to the stadium and arrived about 10:45 local time. Being a Midwest boy, I had to keep reminding myself the game starts at 1pm.

As with most downtown stadiums, the Colt fans were scattered amongst several smaller parking lots. We spend the next 45 minutes or so simply watching the fans. This really confirmed what I had been seeing all alon. There were thousands of Rams fans! And all colors were represented.

Plenty of old school blue/yellow jerseys with Dickerson leading the way. A lot of STL Ram jerseys, with the dark blue and gold, with Warner, Bruce and Faulk being the most prominent. And several new ones, primarily bone, with Donald and Kupp being by far the most popular. Even seen a few Ramsey jerseys' both #20 and #5. Not too mention, dozens of personal jerseys with a random number and the person's last name.

During the time before the game, I fully expected to have some Colt fans attempt some smack. I was absolutely shocked. Not one person said one single word to us! I have a few theories on this. They simply may have been quiet as they were fully expecting a beat down. Maybe they were excited about the Peyton Manning halftime HOF ceremony. Possibly they were bitter they received the short end of the stick on three trades with us; the franchise trade, Dickerson and Faulk. Who knows.

About 30 minutes before kickoff. We have great seats. Section 113, Row 9, seats 19 and 20. We are right on the 45 yard line on the Rams side.

The usual stuff of position groups getting prepped for the game.

A few minutes before kickoff, most of the Colt season ticket holders arrive in our section. But at least in the first 9 rows, I would estimate about 20% of the crowd was Ram fans!

The National anthem included a flag that took up the length of the field, which just looks awesome, and a wonderful performance by a local jazz artist.

Another pretty cool thing is the Ram injured and PS players all had matching jackets that stated We Not Me on the back. A bit of a collegial feel, but they were blue and white and almost looked like Colt jackets.

Game starts and the first drive. Looks familiar. But we have the awesome stop on 4th down. At this point, the Colt fan in front of me was beside himself. "We have to score against this team", "What a bad play call". I am holding in my laughter, but thinking, man we have been there before.

Great 90 yard drive to start the game. Stafford made some great throws. But, I must say, I saw at least four times were he missed his receiver or they were simply out of snyc.

Fast forward to the beautiful pick by Reeder on the shuffle pass and I thought the Colt fans were going to lose it. The collective booing was high.
The first quarter flies by, but all in all I am confident as the Rams are up 7-0 after 1.

Still feeling good with the Rams leading 10-6 at half. Even with the miscues, I am thinking let's take this first drive of the 2nd half and knock them out.

Onto the 3rd quarter, and the Rams put together another nice drive with passes to Kupp and Woods and some nice running by Henderson. Up 17-6 and feeling good.

Now the fun starts...

They put together a drive and score. They were so close to getting Wenz and I know this has been conveyed hundred of times, but call a holding against Donald at least a few times! This is insane, he is held on 90% of plays. Unreal!

The Colts score a TD and go for 2. We get good pressure and Doyle gets the tipped pass for 2 and we have a 3 point game. The first time I sensed the Colt fans believed they could win and the vibe in the stands defiantly shifted.

Moving on to the punt or lack thereof. What the bleep? Seems to be an issue with Scott and the late move. In all my years, I have never ever seen this. Now, the Colt fans are besides themselves and are extremely loud. Much easier when you have the lead.

A great, great response by the Rams to retake the lead. At this point, Michel is in and running strong. Truly a north-south runner and moving the pile.

Fast forward to Jalen's pick. What a thing a beauty to get his feet down. Happened right in front of us and Jalen and team were ecstatic for a good five minutes.

All and all, a great exciting game and our RAMS are now 2-0 and on to our tough three game stretch.

On a final note, at the Indianapolis airport I am standing in the TSA precheck securing line. I see a guy behind me who I am about 99% sure it is Maurice Jones-Drew.

I politely ask him, excuse me are you Maurice Jones-Drew. "I am."

I am a big Rams fan and love your work, what a game today. "It was."

Disappointed DH got hurt, but Michel was really moving the pile. "He was outstanding."

Man, the punt was crazy. What was the deal? "Miscommunication".

MJD was friendly, but I did not want to push too much. so I said take care, say what's up to JB and DeMarco. He laughed and said "you got it". Fist bump.

On to the Bucs!

Sean
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams v Colts-In-person overview

sean484September 20, 2021 06:55AM

Re: Rams v Colts-In-person overview

Rams43190September 20, 2021 07:08AM

Re: Rams v Colts-In-person overview

chico n da rams117September 20, 2021 07:09AM

Sorry I missed you

Ram Fan Teacher201September 20, 2021 07:23AM

Re: Sorry I missed you