Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Johnny Hekker opens up about battle with Corey Bojorquez, COVID-19 and his 'conflicted feelings'

September 02, 2021 12:43PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Johnny Hekker opens up about battle with Corey Bojorquez, COVID-19 and his 'conflicted feelings'

Cameron DaSilva
September 2, 2021 1:35 pm PT
In a matter of a few days, Johnny Hekker went from potentially being cut or traded by the Rams to being one of the eight team captains. It was a rollercoaster stretch for the punter, who was forced to miss two preseason games and more than a week of practice while on the COVID-19 reserve list.

But he wasn’t voted a captain for no reason. He’s a true leader in Los Angeles and has been for years. So despite Corey Bojorquez dominating against the Broncos and potentially pushing Hekker out of a job, the four-time All-Pro was still happy to see his competition performing at a high level.

“I had some conflicting feelings,” he said of how he felt watching Bojorquez’s performance against the Broncos. “On one hand, this whole offseason with the competition with Corey and everything, I’m a guy with faith in God and I was just praying that Corey and I would have good preseasons and both position ourselves in a way that could help this team and help ourselves moving forward. Corey’s a well-established, dominant punter in this league and I was really happy to have the opportunity to work with him for the few months that we did. I think it did nothing but make us better as a team and individually, working with each other and picking each other’s brains. So when I saw his success, I was very happy for him but on the other hand, I saw a little bit of writing on the wall that the team might go with this guy and I could be having to find a new home here pretty soon.”

Hekker said he watched the Broncos game with his wife, who he was talking through things with. He also called a mentor of his to get his mind right, knowing what could be on the horizon for him if the Rams kept Bojorquez over him.

And to get his emotions back in check, he turned the game off early and flipped on “Ted Lasso,” which he accurately called a feel-good show.

The Rams obviously kept Hekker over Bojorquez after restructuring his contract, which he appreciated the team being open to. And fortunately for the team, it was able to trade Bojorquez to the Packers, swapping late-round picks in 2023.

“It meant a lot. It’s something that I’m definitely very thankful for. And looking back, I’m humble for the opportunity to come back,” he said. “To feel appreciated and wanted back here means a lot, especially with a talented guy like Corey, being able to get him traded to a place where he’s going to have a great impact in Green Bay. I wish him nothing but the best, but to be able to come back and be in this locker room with all the guys I’ve cultivated those friendships with, relationships, it means so much and it’s something that I’m not going to take for granted every time I come to the practice field – just come out here with a renewed sense of purpose to be a good leader, be a good punter and just have a ton of fun doing it.”

In addition to battling Bojorquez, Hekker was dealing with COVID-19. He contracted it and was placed on the reserve list on Aug. 21, forcing him to miss 12 days with the team; he was activated and returned on Wednesday.

Knowing he couldn’t be on the field proving himself made the competition with Bojorquez even tougher because he felt isolated away from practice. But fortunately, his symptoms were mild and he’s healthy now, preparing for the upcoming season.

“It was tough sitting at home in such a competitive part of the season with the preseason wrapping up and the competitive environment Corey and I were in,” he said. “There were no symptoms that got out of hand. Nothing felt like we were in real danger. Just had some body aches, little coughs and no taste and smell, but other than that, we’re really thankful and just glad to be on the other side now and looking forward to having a great season.”

As one would expect, Hekker handled this situation with complete class despite being in a tough spot for multiple reasons. Now that he’s not only healthy but also established as the team’s punter again, he’s locked in for Week 1 and wants to do everything he can to help the Rams win.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam320September 02, 2021 12:43PM