Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 31, 2021

August 31, 2021 02:30PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - August 31, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford

Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“Starting off the fifth year here, I think this was as competitive of a roster and as tough of decisions to get down to however you look at it, 53 or there's a lot of moving parts with COVID IR (Injury Reserve) and things like that. But there was a lot of really good football players that had to have some tough discussions with myself and (General Manager) Les (Snead) this morning. But I also think it's a reflection of what great men we have in that locker room. The way they handled it is with class and hopefully we'll get a lot of those players back on our practice squad, but if they move on or if other teams claim them, then that's a positive thing for them. Very appreciative of the contributions that those guys had and excited about moving forward, we've got a long way to go and kind of excited about getting ready to attack this season with the group of guys that we do have, but there's always moving parts as you guys know as well as I do.”
(On if he is expecting to put DL A’Shawn Robinson and OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo on short-term injury reserve this week)
“Yeah, Ogbonnia is more likely. Don’t expect doing that with A’Shawn, but Ogbonnia is a probable, yes.”

(On what position group provided the most challenges as far as cuts)
“I think that I could really go through a lot of different mechanics, but you look at the DB’s. I think the outside linebackers was very difficult. We have a lot of depth that you guys will see illustrated with our offensive line. But really, I think there was a competitive roster all around. It's hard to single out, and like you guys talked about the other day, if you told me a few weeks ago, ‘Did you envision keeping three quarterbacks?’ I would have told you no. And I think that's a real credit to (Qcool smiley Bryce Perkins earning a spot on the roster, but I think every situation and every position was really competitive. I think if you said, ‘All right, where do we have a lot of really good depth?’ I think the interior D-line is a spot that really stands out to me.”

(On how difficult it is separating the business side of football with his personal feelings)
“I hope it never gets easier because there's a human element that, part of how we operate is based on building and developing relationships with these guys and you care about them, and I think it's important for them to understand that it doesn't mean that that exempts you from having to make those tough decisions. But I think all these players can appreciate just clear, open and honest communication. It's not the easiest thing to hear if you do have to have those discussions that go in the direction that's not favorable for them, but you want to do it with empathy and consideration. Again, I think those conversations just give you a greater appreciation for what special men we have in this building. Hopefully we get a lot of those guys back, but it never gets easier.”

(On what went into the decision to trade P Corey Bojorquez to the Packers and if P Johnny Hekker reworked his deal)
“He did. We were able to do that. Like I said, I think we had two starting punters on our roster, and clearly Corey did an amazing job of maximizing the upside and the interest from teams out there. Knowing that, I think everybody would agree that both he and Johnny are two of the best guys doing what they're doing. It's a very specific position and so less than a great job of really exploring some options. And I think what Johnny's done here, as I've mentioned long before I got here, is something that doesn't go lost on me, doesn't go lost on us. And I am confident that he's going to be the productive player that he's been throughout the course of his career. I know he's motivated in the right way. And we're excited about him leading the way for us.”

(On if there are any concerns with Johnny Hekker not coming back as strong from being on the COVID-19 list)
“I don't think so. He feels good so we expect him to return from the COVID IR fairly shortly and in the near future. We’ve kept in good contact, he's kind of pretty, for the most part, remained asymptomatic. So, we'll get him back sooner than later, and I know he's more motivated than ever to have a great season and do a great job leading the way.”

(On releasing ILB Micah Kiser)
“So, what a stud of a human being, an incredible person. You talk about a guy that's consistently overcome adversity, respond to the right way. Really what it came down to was we kept four, made it a really tough decision for us. There’s a lot of layers that go into it, but Micah Kiser is the guy that’s shown that he can be a starting caliber player in this league. He is somebody that I think I wouldn't be surprised if somebody claims him, and if they do, they're going to get a great man, they're going to get a great, competitive, tough football player. Really more than anything, it came down to we kept those four and I could go into a lot of depth, but part of it is defense. There's a special teams element that definitely contributes to some of those decisions. But Micah was one of the more difficult decisions that we had to make organizationally and he continued to epitomize all the things that make him a stud of a human being because of the way that he handled that. You’re not betting against him figuring it out, whether it ends up being with us or whether it's somewhere else, you're going to bet on him to be successful.”

(On how he made decisions on depth players, particularly OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr.)
“So, Tremayne, he made the active roster. So, we kept ten offensive lineman and a large part of that is the fact that, for you to be able to get 48 up, you're having eight guys active on the roster. You’re having eight guys up on gameday, and so I think when you look at it, Tremayne did a great job of being able to play both the guard and the tackle spot. He's only gotten better. We've invested some time in him and then a guy that we were able to acquire in college free agency that (Offensive Line Coach) Kevin Carberry did a great job along with the Scouts of identifying as (OL) AJ Jackson. He ended up making the active roster as well, but I think the depth that you have when you can go two deep upfront is something that is really important. But we've got our starting five, and then got (OL) Joe Noteboom, who you feel like, is as good as situation in your swing tackle that has starting caliber resume. I think he's healthier than he's ever been. I really expect big things from him. (G) Coleman Shelton is a guy that will place him on COVID IR, but he's going to be on that active roster. Then you look at (OL) Bobby Evans, Tremayne Anchrum and AJ Jackson kind of rounding out that group.”

(On the status of Anchrum Jr.)
“So, he's a guy (Tremayne Anchrum) that might fall under that category with Ogbonnia. He got a knee the other day in the game. It happened fairly early in the game. He kind of pushed through it, did a great job of gutting it out, but it might be something that he's potentially another one of those guys that fits in that category of possible short-term IR. You get him back after three weeks.”

(On the status of WR Ben Skowronek)
“He's a guy that is on the active roster right now, and he's a guy that I think he's shown some bright spots. We had a vision for him when we ended up drafting him, it's kind of a freak accident the way he broke his forearm, but he was a guy that is on the active roster right now and we're looking forward to get him back. He can be out here, he had a red Jersey on today. We’ll look forward to him being able to contribute in a contact setting in the next couple of weeks.”

(On if he envisions trading Perkins sometime during the season)
“You never know. We might go with a three-quarterback system (laughs). We’re working through that. I think more than anything, as of right now, I think what we all know is that the volatility of the end of the roster, whether it be through injuries or just changes that are inevitable, there's still the element of, ‘Alright, some of these guys that hit the claims that it might make it a difficult decision. Do we want to put in a claim for that guy?’ It adjusts things, but I think for the initial parts of it, (I’m) really proud of what Bryce did. I think he can be proud of his body of work, the improvement. And that was what was reflected in that decision. But how that moves forward, it’s hard for me to kind of anticipate and make a prediction on that.”

(On how he plans on using the extra time with just the 53-man roster and particularly how it can benefit QB Matthew Stafford)
“The interesting thing is, is we've got the next couple of days to try to get out here and keep the guys fresh, but make sure that we're getting their legs back underneath them, keeping them mentally and physically sharp. This is the first time for me that they're mandated to have Friday and Saturday and Sunday off. So that's three days where normally you could kind of put a day in between those and kind of strategically set it up that way. The interesting thing is, we want to maximize the next couple of days, do a good job of that with really all three phases of our football team. We'll get the practice squad guys back for the walkthrough and for the practice. Where today was just reflective of those guys on the 53 were able to participate, so it was more of a modified shortened practice. So, we’ll use the next two days and then I know that our guys will be smart over the weekend and then we'll get into a normal weekly game rhythm next week with Monday being a bonus day for us.”

(On if he’s comfortable with the depth at running backs and outside linebackers)
“I think you understand. There's some hope that we get some guys back on the practice squad that with some of the things that carry over from last year's COVID (protocols), you do have the ability to potentially flex guys up. So, that gives you a little bit of peace of mind. The outside linebacker position was one that there was a lot of decisions, tough decisions, to be made. With the running back spot, I think when you look at it, you always thought it would be three. I thought (Rcool smiley Jake Funk did a really good job of making a case that I think you can really trust him to play a role on (special) teams and on offense for us in that September 12th game. We’ll be interested to see how quickly (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) gets up to speed. And then, you guys know the confidence that I have in (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.). Definitely things that you talk about, but I did always envision three guys going into the game, being up and active for us, no more than that.”

(On if RB Xavier Jones is a guy that they plan on brining back and putting on the IR)
“I think he's going to actually unfortunately require surgery on that thing. Which is a shame because he did a great job of putting together a really good camp. (I) thought he played really well and had some good, tough, hard earned yards against Denver. Those are the things that are just really hard, but he's going to come back. He's a guy that we definitely want to continue to work with. Some of the semantics, as far as how that's structured with the settlements and things like that, I don't want to get too far in the weeds on that, but really pleased. It's unfortunate that he is going to have to get surgery (on) that Achilles.”

(On if all of the 53-man roster is fully vaccinated)
“Only one that isn't. I don't want to say who it is just out of respect, but 52 out of 53 is not bad.”

(On if not having all 53 men fully vaccinated is a concern)
“No, because that person has done an incredible job of demonstrating all the precautionary measures that you would ask and that you would require. And I'll tell you what I'm very legitimately concerned about, is the fact that now you're seeing guys come up with positives that are fully vaccinated, that I do trust are making smart decisions off the field. And like, I'm sure we all feel, you just want to know, ‘Alright, what can we do to implement smart, strategic procedures and processes that limit this being a factor for us?’ Because whether it's Joe DeCamillis, (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber, now you talk about (OL) Coleman Shelton, (P) Johnny Hekker’s missed time, you're talking about all guys that have been fully vaccinated and now it's like, ‘Okay, how do we make sure that we're understanding exactly what those things are that we can do and implement so that it doesn't become a distraction for a football team.’ I think that's going to be the case for the other 31 teams as well. So that's the thing that (we are) trying to work through and it's something that we've got to get figured out and I need to do a good job of getting a handle on so that you don't have it as any sort of crutch. It won't be an excuse for us. I can promise you that.”

(On if there were any decisions made about the 53-man roster based off vaccination status)
“No. Definitely not. That was a zero factor in terms of our decision-making.”

(On if there are any concerns with Johnny Hekker not coming back as strong from being on the COVID-19 list)
“I don't think so. He feels good so we expect him to return from the COVID IR fairly shortly and in the near future. We’ve kept in good contact, he's kind of pretty, for the most part, remained asymptomatic. So, we'll get him back sooner than later, and I know he's more motivated than ever to have a great season and do a great job leading the way.”

(On releasing ILB Micah Kiser)
“So, what a stud of a human being, an incredible person. You talk about a guy that's consistently overcome adversity, respond to the right way. Really what it came down to was we kept four, made it a really tough decision for us. There’s a lot of layers that go into it, but Micah Kiser is the guy that’s shown that he can be a starting caliber player in this league. He is somebody that I think I wouldn't be surprised if somebody claims him, and if they do, they're going to get a great man, they're going to get a great, competitive, tough football player. Really more than anything, it came down to we kept those four and I could go into a lot of depth, but part of it is defense. There's a special teams element that definitely contributes to some of those decisions. But Micah was one of the more difficult decisions that we had to make organizationally and he continued to epitomize all the things that make him a stud of a human being because of the way that he handled that. You’re not betting against him figuring it out, whether it ends up being with us or whether it's somewhere else, you're going to bet on him to be successful.”

(On how he made decisions on depth players, particularly OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr.)
“So, Tremayne, he made the active roster. So, we kept ten offensive lineman and a large part of that is the fact that, for you to be able to get 48 up, you're having eight guys active on the roster. You’re having eight guys up on gameday, and so I think when you look at it, Tremayne did a great job of being able to play both the guard and the tackle spot. He's only gotten better. We've invested some time in him and then a guy that we were able to acquire in college free agency that (Offensive Line Coach) Kevin Carberry did a great job along with the Scouts of identifying as (OL) AJ Jackson. He ended up making the active roster as well, but I think the depth that you have when you can go two deep upfront is something that is really important. But we've got our starting five, and then got (OL) Joe Noteboom, who you feel like, is as good as situation in your swing tackle that has starting caliber resume. I think he's healthier than he's ever been. I really expect big things from him. (G) Coleman Shelton is a guy that will place him on COVID IR, but he's going to be on that active roster. Then you look at (OL) Bobby Evans, Tremayne Anchrum and AJ Jackson kind of rounding out that group.”

(On the status of Anchrum Jr.)
“So, he's a guy (Tremayne Anchrum) that might fall under that category with Ogbonnia. He got a knee the other day in the game. It happened fairly early in the game. He kind of pushed through it, did a great job of gutting it out, but it might be something that he's potentially another one of those guys that fits in that category of possible short-term IR. You get him back after three weeks.”

(On the status of WR Ben Skowronek)
“He's a guy that is on the active roster right now, and he's a guy that I think he's shown some bright spots. We had a vision for him when we ended up drafting him, it's kind of a freak accident the way he broke his forearm, but he was a guy that is on the active roster right now and we're looking forward to get him back. He can be out here, he had a red Jersey on today. We’ll look forward to him being able to contribute in a contact setting in the next couple of weeks.”

(On if he envisions trading Perkins sometime during the season)
“You never know. We might go with a three-quarterback system (laughs). We’re working through that. I think more than anything, as of right now, I think what we all know is that the volatility of the end of the roster, whether it be through injuries or just changes that are inevitable, there's still the element of, ‘Alright, some of these guys that hit the claims that it might make it a difficult decision. Do we want to put in a claim for that guy?’ It adjusts things, but I think for the initial parts of it, (I’m) really proud of what Bryce did. I think he can be proud of his body of work, the improvement. And that was what was reflected in that decision. But how that moves forward, it’s hard for me to kind of anticipate and make a prediction on that.”

(On how he plans on using the extra time with just the 53-man roster and particularly how it can benefit QB Matthew Stafford)
“The interesting thing is, is we've got the next couple of days to try to get out here and keep the guys fresh, but make sure that we're getting their legs back underneath them, keeping them mentally and physically sharp. This is the first time for me that they're mandated to have Friday and Saturday and Sunday off. So that's three days where normally you could kind of put a day in between those and kind of strategically set it up that way. The interesting thing is, we want to maximize the next couple of days, do a good job of that with really all three phases of our football team. We'll get the practice squad guys back for the walkthrough and for the practice. Where today was just reflective of those guys on the 53 were able to participate, so it was more of a modified shortened practice. So, we’ll use the next two days and then I know that our guys will be smart over the weekend and then we'll get into a normal weekly game rhythm next week with Monday being a bonus day for us.”

(On if he’s comfortable with the depth at running backs and outside linebackers)
“I think you understand. There's some hope that we get some guys back on the practice squad that with some of the things that carry over from last year's COVID (protocols), you do have the ability to potentially flex guys up. So, that gives you a little bit of peace of mind. The outside linebacker position was one that there was a lot of decisions, tough decisions, to be made. With the running back spot, I think when you look at it, you always thought it would be three. I thought (Rcool smiley Jake Funk did a really good job of making a case that I think you can really trust him to play a role on (special) teams and on offense for us in that September 12th game. We’ll be interested to see how quickly (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) gets up to speed. And then, you guys know the confidence that I have in (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.). Definitely things that you talk about, but I did always envision three guys going into the game, being up and active for us, no more than that.”

(On if RB Xavier Jones is a guy that they plan on brining back and putting on the IR)
“I think he's going to actually unfortunately require surgery on that thing. Which is a shame because he did a great job of putting together a really good camp. (I) thought he played really well and had some good, tough, hard earned yards against Denver. Those are the things that are just really hard, but he's going to come back. He's a guy that we definitely want to continue to work with. Some of the semantics, as far as how that's structured with the settlements and things like that, I don't want to get too far in the weeds on that, but really pleased. It's unfortunate that he is going to have to get surgery (on) that Achilles.”

(On if all of the 53-man roster is fully vaccinated)
“Only one that isn't. I don't want to say who it is just out of respect, but 52 out of 53 is not bad.”

(On if not having all 53 men fully vaccinated is a concern)
“No, because that person has done an incredible job of demonstrating all the precautionary measures that you would ask and that you would require. And I'll tell you what I'm very legitimately concerned about, is the fact that now you're seeing guys come up with positives that are fully vaccinated, that I do trust are making smart decisions off the field. And like, I'm sure we all feel, you just want to know, ‘Alright, what can we do to implement smart, strategic procedures and processes that limit this being a factor for us?’ Because whether it's Joe DeCamillis, (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber, now you talk about (OL) Coleman Shelton, (P) Johnny Hekker’s missed time, you're talking about all guys that have been fully vaccinated and now it's like, ‘Okay, how do we make sure that we're understanding exactly what those things are that we can do and implement so that it doesn't become a distraction for a football team.’ I think that's going to be the case for the other 31 teams as well. So that's the thing that (we are) trying to work through and it's something that we've got to get figured out and I need to do a good job of getting a handle on so that you don't have it as any sort of crutch. It won't be an excuse for us. I can promise you that.”

(On if there were any decisions made about the 53-man roster based off vaccination status)
“No. Definitely not. That was a zero factor in terms of our decision-making.”

QB Matthew Stafford
(On if he ever gets used to cuts being made)
“No, it's always tough. It's obviously an exciting time. You feel that much closer to Sundays, but it's a tough time because there are so many guys that work so hard and everybody sees training camp. They see it on TV. They see it in the news, but there are so many hours before that that go into it and just really appreciate all the work that everybody in our organization has put into getting to this point. This part is never easy and just know that there's a ton of appreciation for everybody that has helped us get to where we are right now.”
(On what he has seen in QB Bryce Perkins)
“I think the same thing you guys have seen. I mean, he has been out there in those preseason games playing great. The strides he’s made since I even got here and saw him for the first time really ever this spring and to where he is now – just really proud of him and it's a testament to him and the work that he has put into it. This is really important to him. You can tell the way he goes about his business. And then obviously he feels so prepared that he goes out there and plays the way he plays in the preseason games, which is awesome and really fun to watch.”

(On where he feels where he is in the offense and wide receiver group)
“I feel good. I feel good about where I am. I got to go out there and earn that every day. We have a tough day, one other day, you asked me, I've said it probably wouldn't feel so good, but I just know I have to go out there and earn it every single day. I think our entire group takes that approach, which is awesome to be around. As far as receivers go – really, really talented group. A bunch of weapons that can all do a bunch of different things and put stresses on defenses. So, I'm excited to get to work with them.”

(On if he has ever worked with a wide receiver group as diverse as the Rams)
“It’s lot of years, a lot of groups. No. I mean I've played with receivers – all different types, all different sizes, speeds, all that kind of stuff. I think this one is up there with some of the best that I've played with both in their abilities, their knowledge, their effort, the way they affect the game – not only when they have the ball or when they're running a route, but how they block and spring runs. I mean, it's pretty impressive to watch them go out there and do their work.”

(On if he has allowed himself to think about playing in the Super Bowl at SoFi stadium)
“At the moment I'm just taking it day to day. I can't sit there and spend a bunch of time daydreaming about that kind of stuff. It's always nice to think about, but a majority of my time is spent trying to make sure that I'm ready to go every single day. (Head) Coach (Sean McVay) always talks about being where your feet are and trying to do that as best I can – both for myself and for this team.”

(On if he had any preconceived notions or thoughts about the city and if any of them have come to be true)
“I spent a little bit of time here, so I kind of knew it a little bit. I came here at one point when COVID was really kicking and the traffic wasn't so bad, but it's now back rearing its ugly head. So that's a real thing again. We've enjoyed it as a family. It has been amazing. Everybody here has been extremely welcoming, which is awesome, don't have to be so we appreciate that and love the time we've had here so far.”

(On if he embraces the extra time off leading up to the first regular season game against the Chicago Bears)
“I think I'm used to the amount of weeks now. We don't have that pre-season game – that fourth game –but I'm used to the amount of weeks kind of leading up to a season. It's going to be interesting to see how everybody handles it. Normally, we all have that fourth game and everybody kind of knows what to expect from there. It's obviously a different thing this year. So, it'll be interesting to see how people handle it. I know we'll do a good job here and make sure we're prepared to go when the time comes.”

(On how beneficial time is as he continues to get acclimated)
“Every day is beneficial for me. So, I'll take all these I can get. It was a little bit of a shorter practice today, but it was really crisp. Guys are out there running fast and I'm getting as many reps as I can and those are always going to serve me well.”

(On what the addition of RB Sony Michel will do for the offense)
“He's just an experienced back. He has played in big time football in college, big time football in the pros, played in huge games. He's an experienced guy. He understands what it takes to perform at a high level, in the NFL. So, I'm excited to have him. He has got a lot to learn. He knows that, and then I'm going to do everything I can to work with him – whether it's extra meetings or whatever – just to try to get him up to speed so he can be somebody that helps us out on game day.”

(On his impression of the secondary with S Jordan Fuller stepping up in a leadership role)
“I'm really impressed with them. All these guys have such amazing physical tools. You could sit there and talk about it all day – the range they have, the ball skills, all that kind of stuff. But, I'm probably most impressed by their overall feel and intelligence for the game. It starts in the coaching staff and then those guys go out there and carry it over onto the field. It's pretty impressive to watch them take away routes, combinations and things and understand how offenses are trying to attack them. It makes it really difficult for guys like me trying to go against them every day. So, it's a great challenge, but I am really impressed with those guys.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky539August 31, 2021 02:30PM

Very interesting

CROMWELL21342August 31, 2021 04:15PM

Yeah that is hardly a ringing endorsement of Perkins by McVay

Rams Junkie357August 31, 2021 05:16PM

I don't think I recall the final 53 as discussed as this year...

JamesJM215August 31, 2021 04:20PM

Top takeaways from Sean McVay's press conference on initial 53-man roster

RamBill282August 31, 2021 04:29PM

I'm not buying it...

JamesJM239August 31, 2021 04:31PM

Well, maybe he didn't, but that's what I envisoned.

RockRam380August 31, 2021 04:56PM

I'm having a brain fart...

JamesJM241August 31, 2021 04:58PM

No, it was my brain fart. I meant no need to keep 4.

RockRam223September 01, 2021 02:07AM

Thankis for another excellent job on transcription

HornsUpRamily!163August 31, 2021 09:21PM

the rams media dept does that

stlramz173August 31, 2021 11:38PM