Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aaron Donald doesn't feel he's at his best yet heading into the season

August 20, 2021 01:02PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
August 20, 2021 2:10 pm PT

Aaron Donald owns the title of being the best defender in the league right now, having won Defensive Player of the Year in 2020 – as well as 2017 and 2018, for that matter. He’s a dominant pass rusher who set the single-season sacks record for a defensive tackle in 2018 with 20.5, while also disrupting things constantly in the running game.

It’s hard to imagine him getting much better, but Donald still sees room for improvement. With the help of defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, Donald wants to better understand offensive tendencies so that he can be better on Sundays.

“That comes from studying film and understanding what you’re seeing from an offensive standpoint – to play fast or work a certain technique to a look you’re getting,” he said Thursday. “So, you’re able to be more stout in your gap or be able to transition to a pass rush or whatever the case may be. You got to absorb knowledge. Somebody asked, ‘What else can I bring?’ I feel like I’m not at my best yet. There’s always room for improvement and that’s continuing to work on my craft, but at the same time, continue to understand the game, absorb the knowledge and different things that Coach Henny (Eric Henderson) and these different coaches has given me to help me continue to get better.”

Donald had 13.5 sacks and 28 QB hits last season to go along with 45 sacks. He battled through torn rib cartilage in the postseason game against the Packers, which just showed how different the Rams defense looks when he’s either A) not on the field or cool smiley not 100% healthy.

He’s feeling good heading into this season – even if he does have some extra aches and pains from being 30 – and the Rams have to like their chances of once again finishing atop the league defensively.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam120August 20, 2021 01:02PM