Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jalen Ramsey calls this his best camp yet, in part thanks to Raheem Morris

August 20, 2021 09:46AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
August 20, 2021 5:23 am PT

Jalen Ramsey had his best season ever in 2020, a statement he made himself. The 2021 season hasn’t yet begun, but Ramsey feels great as Week 1 approaches.

The All-Pro corner said on Thursday that this has been his best training camp yet. Part of the reason for that? New defensive coordinator Raheem Morris. Ramsey was excited when the Rams hired Morris and his expectations have been met by the former Falcons defensive coordinator.

“Great. It has been going great,” Ramsey said of how it’s been going with Morris. “Feel like I’m building off of last year a lot. So, like, this has been my best camp so far and he has helped me a lot. He has taught me some new things that I did not know about. So that has been great. It has been fun.”

Seeing the way Ramsey played last year, it’s hard to imagine there could even be a lot more for him to learn. He was an absolute lockdown cornerback, allowing only 36 catches on 71 targets, according to Pro Football Reference.

He solidified his place as the best corner in football, but there are ways he wants to improve and get even better than he already is.

“A lot of different techniques I’ve picked up – inside and outside corners – things that help my game be a little bit smoother, a lot less wasted movement,” Ramsey said of what he’s learned from Morris. “He’s also teaching me a lot about the offense and how I should be thinking about the game a little bit more. These are the things that (Brandon) Staley started. He and I had this relationship and it kind of started last year. But Coach ‘Heems’ brings it this year and kind of took it to another level. And maybe I’m just listening a little bit more. Maybe that’s what it is, but that has been good for me.”

Morris has some experience on the offensive side of the ball, which can help as he teaches Rams defenders techniques. He was the Falcons’ assistant head coach and wide receivers coach from 2016-2019 before becoming the defensive coordinator in 2020.

He clearly knows a lot about wideouts when it comes to running routes, leverage and the different aspects that go into a receiver getting open. His knowledge can only help Ramsey and the other defensive backs.

Ramsey has been moving around a bit in practice, too, playing different positions – something he’s excited about after beginning to do that last year, as well.

“In the end of last year and this year has been a little bit different for me. Learning new roles, playing new positions and techniques has been fun, getting me more involved I feel like, and just helping me grow as a player,” Ramsey added.

Expectations are always high for the Rams corner, and there’s no reason to believe he can’t be an All-Pro once again in 2021 – especially as he learns from Morris.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam152August 20, 2021 09:46AM