Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 19, 2021

August 19, 2021 02:35PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 19, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey

Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“We didn't get to finish up the practice, but I did think that there was a lot of good work that we were getting in. We only had a little bit left, and it felt like the best decision just based on kind of the temperature of the situation was – bag the last eight plays in the team period that we had. I did not see it. I just kind of had heard what had happened. Other than me seeing it, I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm glad that nobody got injured. We ended up finishing up our team stuff and then our guys got off the grass. So, I was pleased with the way that we came out and were ready to practice today. It's unfortunate we didn't get to finish up, but that's kind of where I'll leave that at.”

(On what he said to the team after the fight before regrouping and finishing practice)
“Kind of that same thing, ‘Let's just finish up the day.’ I liked the way our guys came out today. There was a lot of stuff going on during that special teams’ period so I didn't see exactly what led to kind of that fight breaking out. But I'm just glad that nobody got injured and we finished up our work and then we'll continue on tomorrow.”

(On what made the fight keep going)
“I'm not really sure. I got over there late, so I'd be speaking on a situation that I don't know enough about. I'll continue to gather information, but I think the most important thing is that everybody was okay. Nobody’s injured and we're going to keep it moving on. This is as big a deal as we make it and we're going to keep it moving.”

(On if the team got the work in that they wanted)
“I thought today was a good start. We didn't get exactly everything that we had anticipated, which it's a little bit of a bummer, but there were so few snaps left that it's not a huge deal. We would have liked to have gotten the rest of that special teams’ period and then we had eight plays in a move the ball sequence that we were going to get for both offense and defense. That was what we missed out on.”

(On where CB David Long Jr. was today)
“He was just a little bit sore, so we were being smart with him. No injuries more than anything kind of precautionary. I think his groan was just sore because he's been getting a lot of work. He's done a nice job, but nothing to be concerned about.”

(On what he liked out at practice today)
“More than anything, just the energy, the effort, the focus and concentration that we came out with. Just felt like it was a crisp, business-like mindset and approach. That's what we wanted to do today and that's how our guys came out. I thought they did a nice job in that regard.”

(On the offense looking sharper today)
“I think so. Any time that you had some of the things that occurred yesterday, want to improve on it. I love some of the adversity that naturally can occur through training camp settings. Where we've got the right kind of guys, I love the way they responded. You definitely don't take it for granted, but you're appreciative of it. They did a good job, and it was a much more crisp day for sure for the offense.”

(On if he’s okay)
“Did I? I don't know. I didn't take a hit. What do I have a black eye or something? No, I'm good. Everything's good. It might've been (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach) Zach Witherspoon, it wasn't me (laughs). It was my stunt double.”

(On if ending practice early was a mutual decision)
“I think we had just talked about – it was more of kind of, you don't really talk about those things in the heat of the moment. You just get a sense for what was going on – broke the two teams up. There was still a lot of tension for whatever had occurred. That was what the decision that we felt like was best in the moment.”

(On if he talked with Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden about ending practice after the fight)
“It’s kind of one of those deals where when there's an all-out scuffle and you're yelling, ‘Hey, get back. All right, that's it go get on the bus,’ we're kind of all agreeing that, ‘Hey, this is the end of practice.’ Unless we said, ‘Why don't you guys get on the bus cool down and come back out here (laughs).’ So, we decided that was a mutual agreement there.”

(On what he saw from the defense today)
“Because they were going on at the same time, it’s hard to say. I know they do a lot of different personnel groupings. There was a lot of things that we were able to activate yesterday. I didn't get a chance to see as much, there were so many less snaps today, so I didn't really see to be able to comment on it until I see the film.”

(On his approach for Saturday’s preseason game against the Raiders)
“Similar approach (to the Chargers’ game). That's what we'll go through right now. We're going to get through this practice, talk as a coaching staff and kind of figure out how we are health wise. We'll still have meetings with our players. Once we get them out of the building, then we'll really figure out exactly what our plan is for Saturday.”

(On if there’s anything in particular he’s looking for)
“I think you want to just see who's available because we do have a couple guys with some bumps, bruises, just some sore muscles just based on the way that they've gotten a lot of work the last few days. So, got to make sure that you're always protecting our guys, being smart about that, but we'll see what that looks like later this afternoon.”

(On if there’s anything he’s looking for in the game)
“We'll kind of just take it a day at a time. You always want to see improvements in the standard stuff. The semantics pre-snap on both sides of the ball and the kicking game, eliminating the pre-snap penalties and then just good overall execution from one snap to the next. But I want to also see guys go out there and compete to their best ability. No fear in failure. Those are the kinds of things you want to see, especially with the approach we take.”

(On how QB Matthew Stafford internalizes practice/film and produces the next day on the field)
“Steady, accountable, can't wait for the next opportunity to compete. All the things that you would want from your quarterback. Some uncharacteristic things, but I think I look at it as, (I) could put guys in better spots. He's looking at as he's taking extreme ownership and accountability. That's what you love. I know he couldn't wait to get back out here today and compete with his guys. He definitely did a lot of really good things with those snaps that he had.”

(On Stafford’s mental strength)
“To me, what we talk about is being your best, regardless of the circumstances. Not letting the outside influences or things that occur affect the way that you handle what's next. I use the analogy, whether you say it's cheesy or not, ‘You always want to be a thermostat, not a thermometer.’ You don't want to let the outside influences affect the way you get hot or cold. You control whether you go up or down and that's really what he is.”

(On if he feels like he got what he needed on evaluating the veterans/starters from the three joint practices throughout training camp)
“I think we did. I think you wanted to be able to finish up today. But we definitely got some good work in and the thing that I really liked the most about it is, there's totally different structures on offense and on defense that it's really good not only to mix up the monotony of camp when you're going against one another day in and day out, but really to prepare yourself for a 17-game season. There's going to be some different things that we’re going to see offensively and defensively. But there is some consistency in both what the Cowboys are doing and what the Raiders are doing defensively around the league. There are some things that (Raiders Head) Coach (Jon) Gruden does that we're not giving to our offense and some things that the Cowboys did as well. So, that was beneficial. We’ll still set up something similar to what we did last year with an inner squad scrimmage, but we'll do that here.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On how practice went yesterday)
“It went good, I think it was physical guys were flying around. It’s what you want to see.”

(On what the defense is able to learn when going against another opponent)
“Well, it's more just working your technique and stuff you've been working on. Obviously different players, different body types, a little bit bigger upfront for them on the (offensive) side of the ball. So, holding double-teams a certain way – you're able to half and do certain things you want to do and just put it on film. So, just good work.”

(On if he was surprised that they called practice after the scuffle)
“No, it's football man. Honestly, every joint practice I’ve ever been a part of, there’s always a fight. The way things happened yesterday, how physical it was, I was pretty sure it was going to come back and be a lot of BS.”

(On a progress report on the defense)
“It's great. Like I said, guys are flying around, guys and making plays. It’s been fun to watch, guys are playing physical. As a great defense, that's what you want, that's what you need. And I feel like we are building to where we need to be.”

(On if they will be able to maintain the top-ranked defense after offseason departures)
“I feel like we're fine. Guys are stepping up. (DL) A’Shawn (Robinson) had a good day. I watched A’Shawn today, he looked strong, he looked explosive today. He was stout on his double teams. He had some good rushes today. That's a guy that has been improving a lot in this camp and in my opinion, from what I've seen, this is probably one of his best days he put on film. He did some real good things. That's what you want in camp, that’s what you expect from guys. We just got to keep working.”

(On what it’s like not having former DL Michael Brockers on the team anymore)
“We got a group text. We FaceTime a lot. After the first practice in Irvine, I texted him, I said, ‘I miss you, man,’ because he’s been with me since I've been in the league, now he's gone. But, it's just a part of the business.”

(On what he thinks the environment at SoFi Stadium will be like Saturday)
“I don't know, but it's a game. I know a lot of the guys who are going to be playing are going to be amped up. Because they got to put things on film, still guys trying to make the team and get a job. It's just football.

(On what Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris brings to the team)
“A lot of energy, a whole lot of energy, a lot of knowledge. I feel like we got a lot of great players, a lot of players that understand the game, that played a lot of football. So, adding him to the mix with the energy he brings and the knowledge he's given us and the different schemes and things he's given us to play to guys’ strengths, it's definitely a big plus for us.”

(On what Morris is like on the practice field)
“He makes it make it fun, but at the same time it's work. There’s a time where he might joke a lot, but when it's time to lock in, he locks in and it's all about ball.”

(On learning offensive tendencies from Morris and if that’s applicable for a defensive lineman)
“Yeah, it does. That comes from studying film and understanding what you're seeing from an offensive standpoint – to play fast or work a certain technique to a look you're getting. So, you're able to be more stout in your gap or be able to transition to a pass rush or whatever the case may be. You got to absorb knowledge. Somebody asked, ‘What else can I bring?’ I feel like I’m not at my best yet. There’s always room for improvement and that's continuing to work on my craft, but at the same time, continue to understand the game, absorb the knowledge and different things that (Run Game Coordinator/Defensive Line) Coach Henny (Eric Henderson) and these different coaches has given me to help me continue to get better.”

(On his growth from the start of training camp)
“A lot, there've been a lot. A lot with Coach Henny. (I’ve been) working with him for three years. Him breaking down film, showing me the bad, the good. Talking to me as far as different schemes and different looks from an offensive standpoint. It’s not just technique things but giving me the knowledge of the game. So, it’s been helping me a lot.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On the last two days of joint practice with the Raiders being physical and combative)
“I guess you could say that. It's football. So, you’re going to have a little bit of that. We were just trying to get some good work in. That's what we were trying to do, but whatever happened, happened.”

(On being disappointed when practices end early when he doesn’t play in the preseason and there’s such an emphasis on joint practices)
“It is for sure. Going against the same players all the time, you can kind of get content a little bit – you try not to, but you can get content a little bit. So going against different teams, different styles, body types, players, is always good. So yeah, it's definitely disappointing that we didn't get to finish, but it is what it is. I mean, it is what it is.”

(On why it took so long to break up the fight)
“I don't know. I was on the opposite end, so I was late to the party. I don't even really know fully what happened, if I'm being honest with it with you. But I don't know. Something happened. They were doing special teams period. I guess one thing led to another. I really don't know. I don’t know. I wasn’t there. I was in the back end. I don't even know.”

(On if he was surprised the fight kept going on)
“Like I said, I don't know. I was in the back. Things happen sometimes. Emotions get high. It’s a physical game, fierce game. So, I guess it just kept popping off. I don't know.”

(On how things have been going with Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris)
“Great. It has been going great. (I) feel like I'm building off of last year a lot. So, like this has been my best camp so far and he has helped me a lot. He has taught me some new things that I did not know about. So that has been great. It has been fun.”

(On if he has learned as much with every camp as he has this year)
“It has not been. Nah. Being out here in L.A. has been different for me. It has been great for me and in a lot of aspects it has been better.”

(On if he thinks the defense is getting close to where they need to be)
“Not yet. Not yet. If I'm being honest about it. We have got some time left we’re going to do whatever we have to do to get it together.”

(On what he thinks needs to be worked on the most)
“Everything. Yeah, all aspects just because our standards are so high – put it that way. So, it's not like we're out here doing terrible or doing bad, but our standards are so high that anything below being elite is not enough. So, we just have to push ourselves to those limits.”

(On his first impression when he first saw the defense)
“My initial reaction – I was majority playing outside corner, so I knew kind of what my role was going to be on the team and guarding opposing teams’ number one receiver. So, I kind of knew my role. I wasn't really too much worried about it. I was excited for other guys to have play ops and things like that. But this year, it's a little bit different for me. In the end of last year and this year has been a little bit different for me – learning new roles, playing new positions and techniques has been fun, getting me more involved I feel like, and just helping me grow as a player.”

(On if he likes that things evolve in that way)
“Definitely. Yeah, definitely.”

(On specific areas of growth that he has noticed in himself with the help of Coach Morris)
“A lot of different techniques I’ve picked up – inside and outside corners – things that help my game be a little bit smoother, a lot less wasted movement. He's also teaching me a lot about the offense and how I should be thinking about the game a little bit more. These are the things that (Former Rams defensive coordinator Brandon) Staley started. He and I had this relationship and it kind of started last year. But Coach (Defensive Coordinator Raheem) ‘Heems’ (Morris) brings it this year and kind of took it to another level. And maybe I'm just listening a little bit more. Maybe that's what it is, but that has been good for me.”

(On how challenging it has been to replace key players the Rams lost last year)
“I try not to think about it. I don't like to compare last year versus this year, really any year versus this year – we have to focus on like what's ahead of us. So that's kind of what we're doing. We did lose a couple of key guys, guys who play important roles –we have guys here who have to step up into those roles now and do what they can do, and we've got to help them be the best that they can be. So, that's all we’re focused on right now.”

(On if he feels that is happening right now)
“I feel like it is. I feel like it is. It’s a journey, man. Nothing is going to happen overnight, changes happen, differences happen. But it's a journey that we've been embracing so far and I think it's trending up the way we’re going. I think we'll be right where we need to be when it's time to be there.”

(On how he makes the decision to chime in about things on Twitter)
“I've been trying to be like less active on social media. Even this offseason, I was way less active. But, over the past couple of days – it's funny because, one of the receivers told me about (Minnesota Vikings WR) Justin Jefferson's comments, how he had our game circled – the receivers and (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) told me about that actually. So, then I went and checked it out and I saw it. It is what it is. I feel like the media blows things out of proportion. I think he said it out of a competitive spirit. You know what I mean? But I don’t really look too much into it. It is what it is. We'll see him when we see him. We have a lot more games before we play them, I think, so I’m not really worried about that. And then yesterday, when we were in a defensive meetings, Coach ‘Heem’ came up to me and he made a joke about, I don't know, saying I was ‘Michael Jackson popular’ or something like that. And I was like, ‘What are you talking about? What did I do now?’ I'm like, ‘What I do now?’ And he was like, ‘You’re trending on Twitter.’ I'm like, ‘Let me go look.’ You feel me? So, I go check it out. I guess some of their (Raiders) media thought that (Las Vegar Raiders WR) Hunter Renfrow had a really good day against me. I still can't find the plays, I’ve watched the film twice and I still can't find the plays where I was burned multiple times. But sure. I mean he had one good catch on me yesterday – six yards, still a fourth down, but it's cool. I get that sometimes mentioning my name going against certain receivers may give them buzz and it may pump them up some – and this is no disrespect to Hunter Renfrow, because I actually think he's a pretty good player. I think he has some (Rams WR) Cooper Kupp in him. But I didn't have any issues yesterday. Watching the film, I played pretty well yesterday. So, maybe people just need to learn the differences between zones and man, and schemes. But it doesn't really bother me. But sometimes I feel like you have to set the record straight sometimes, and then you just leave it at that. You tell people to enjoy their day. You keep it pushing. That's about it. It's just fun, really. It's nothing major.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky305August 19, 2021 02:35PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 19, 2021

HornsUpRamily!126August 19, 2021 04:33PM