Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on our OL for next year…

August 14, 2021 06:02AM
Here’s oldnotdead…

I saw enough in 2019 to see that Allen could be a quality center in the NFL. He was stout in his blocking and had enough mobility to get to the second level and to pull on power runs plays, things Blythe simply couldn't do. Did he make mistakes? Absolutely, but what first-year starting center doesn't. Now he looks physically improved and I have no reason to doubt the reports of his play.

I also have no doubts that the Rams will be able to re-sign Allen, Corbett, and Noteboom. With Edwards still under contract through 2022, the only question will be RT. There is no way Havenstein is worth $8.3M with his mediocre play. He will be 30 next year and that will inhibit any thoughts of extension. They can release him now and clear $5M in cap to help pay for the other 3 FA OL. But they will play Havenstein this year before they release him next year and that will clear $7M.

IMO Chandler Brewer is going to be a priority extension next year. The Rams have shown a huge interest in Brewer and he does have the physical and psychological metrics for playing RT where you want a mauler mentality. He showed in college he has good mobility for a man of his size to make second-level blocks in the run game. I think Brewer is a dark horse candidate to replace Havenstein.

So basically the entire starting OL will be priority FA signings. I like Brewer and I'm surprised he's been so under the radar. He's had a good TC and I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the OTs playing in the rotation this Saturday. This is an aspect of how the Rams conduct their contract signings that really mystifies me at times. They know Corbett and Noteboom are going to be their starters next year. So why wait to extend them? I could easily see an OL next year of:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Brewer

All but Edwards will be UFA next year. What are they waiting for, lock them up now. Then they are only waiting on Allen's performance this year and who they will look at for RT next year. Brewer is the logical choice as he has the physical metrics you want at the position. Also, run blocking is one of his strengths which is what you want in your RT.

The one aspect that the Rams need to consider is the financial impact of winning a Super Bowl. The cost of re-signing your entire OL is going to escalate. It would be cheaper by millions to do it now. Once a player has that ring the price for them goes up.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on our OL for next year…

Rams43291August 14, 2021 06:02AM

not surprised if they are gun shy

headslapper235August 14, 2021 06:43AM

Re: not surprised if they are gun shy

SoCalRAMatic115August 14, 2021 09:30AM

Good news, Brewer has 1 accrued season- 2022 (ERFA) OTC

Rams Junkie221August 14, 2021 09:55AM