Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The state of the Los Angeles Rams offensive line heading into preseason action

August 13, 2021 10:01AM
[www.turfshowtimes.com]

Is the offensive line actually a strength?

By Christopher Daniel Aug 13, 2021, 10:57am CDT

NFL: Los Angeles Rams Training Camp
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Despite returning four starters on what was Pro Football Focus’ third ranked offensive line to conclude the 2020 season, the Los Angeles Rams once again begin the season with a bombardment of questions for the position group tasked with protecting quarterback Matthew Stafford and opening rushing lanes for running back Darrell Henderson and company.

Losing former starting center Austin Blythe was a bit of a disappointment. Combine that with the fact that L.A. didn’t invest any 2021 draft capital up front, and you have a situation that has drawn the ire from a significant portion of the Los Angeles fan base.

Projected Regular Season Starters
LT Andrew Whitworth 6’7 330 pounds
16 years of NFL experience
2 years remaining on contract

While Whitworth may officially have two years left on his contract, he has publicly stated that this may in fact be his last season in the NFL. Still among the best at his position at 39 years old, “Big Whit” can still be trusted to protect Stafford’s blindside, only surrendering two total sacks since 2019. His leadership and role as a mentor is immeasurable and is most certainly needed in getting the younger reserve offensive lineman ready to play in the near future.

LG David Edwards 6’6 308 pounds
3 years of NFL experience

Edwards is a solid, and possibly underrated starting left guard. He may not blow you away but he does his job well and efficiently. The former high school option quarterback is fairly athletic for his size and has used his versatility and high football IQ to carve out a role in Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense. Ranking 17th out of 80 guards in 2020, Edward’s best football is almost certainly in front of him.

C Brian Allen 6’2 308 pounds
4 years of NFL experience
1 year remaining on contract

Everyone’s favorite offensive lineman returns to a starting role in 2021 after missing all of last season while rehabbing a gruesome knee injury that included a torn MCL, torn meniscus, and fractured tibia. Allen struggled during 2019 and there really isn’t a way to sugarcoat that. On the flip side, imagine if he actually improves and becomes a competent starter. If new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry can develop the former Michigan State Spartan into a legit player, this offensive line becomes borderline elite.

RG Austin Corbett 6’4 306 pounds

Corbett balled out last season, especially in the run game. There is certainly room for improvement in his pass blocking, which should be expected to progress with another season under his belt. He is a key contributor on the offensive line and is deserving of an extension. In my opinion, General Manager Les Snead may want to think about a contract extension now before Corbett prices himself out of Los Angeles with a third consecutive successful season, in what is a contract year.

RT Rob Havenstein 6’8 330 pounds
7 years of NFL experience

Havenstein had a much needed bounce back year. While he did surrender the most pressures and sacks on the team, Havenstein still graded out as the 14th best tackle in the league, mostly due to his run blocking. The longest tenured offensive player on the Rams is not going to manhandle most of his competition in 2021 but he isn’t going to be a liability either.

Backups with Starting Experience
LT Joe Noteboom 6’5 321 pounds
Noteboom is another versatile lineman, starting at both left guard and left tackle during the 2020 campaign. While the Plano, Texas native struggled early in the season at guard, he played very well filling in for Whitworth at his natural left tackle position, allowing only on sack in the final nine games he played. This is another lineman I would like to see with horns on his helmet beyond the 2021 season

LG Bobby Evans 6’4 312 pounds
3 years of NFL experience
Evans played in three games in 2020, including starting against the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Divisional round. He struggled mightily. I’d expect to see him play a lot during the preseason, as he needs more live reps.

Reserves That Should Get Plenty of Reps During Preseason
RT Tremayne Anchrum Jr. 6’2 314 pounds
C Coleman Shelton 6’4 299 pounds
RT Chandler Brewer 6’6 320 pounds
I am probably most excited to see how Anchrum does this preseason. He has the college pedigree for sure and I am intrigued to see how he has developed after a full offseason.

Shelton and Brewer are more than likely competing for the last spot in the offensive line group. Nothing like some job on the line competition playing out on national television!

Practice Squad Candidates
LG Jeremiah Kolone 6’3 316 pounds
OL Jordan Meredith 6’3 300 pounds
OL Max Pircher 6’7 300 pounds
OL Ryan Pope 6’7 315 pounds
Out of this group, I want to see Pircher and Pope the most. We may not get to see them much on Saturday when the Los Angeles Rams host the LA Chargers but definitely expect this group to get reps as the preseason rolls on.

Poll
How much confidence do you have in the offensive line?
26%
All the confidence in the world!
(33 votes)
47%
I like it but I don’t like it.
(60 votes)
25%
It’s ok at best.
(32 votes)
3%
Where is the "break in case of emergency?"
(4 votes)
129 votes total
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam132August 13, 2021 10:01AM