Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Rams Transcripts - HC Sean McVay, QB Devlin Hodges - August 12, 2021

August 13, 2021 02:09AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Devlin Hodges - August 12, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Devlin Hodges

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On status update on S Nick Scott and what happened)
“He tweaked his knee a little bit. It's a little bit of a sprain of the knee. He'll probably be out for the next month.”

(On if he expects Scott to be back before final roster cuts)
“I think so. The goal is to have him ready for the Bears game. That's kind of where we're at with that right now.”

(On him seeming frustrated with the mental and emotional)
“It's camp days, there's all a lot of different things going on. It's designed to be stressful. That's why you practice. This isn't a rehearsal, this is practice. So, I like it when mistakes occur because we can correct it. We can all learn from it, it's coaches and players alike. You just don't want to see the same mistakes made twice. There's always going to be an added emphasis on the things that take place pre-snap, both offensively, defensively and in the kicking game and those are the things that I'm a little bit less tolerant of. But there was a lot of good competition. So, in a lot of these instances, somebody is winning the drill, somebody’s not, but I'm more interested in how do we respond from the next play. Especially if something does go bad, everything can be good when you're working from the front, but when things are going bad, how quickly can you snap out of it, be present, be able to move on to the next snap.”

(On is there are other prominent backups who will not be playing during the preseason)
“We'll see. We're working through that right now, but (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) is definitely one of those guys that (I) thought got a lot of good experience last week. Especially given the circumstances around just having that appendectomy, want to be smart. John's had a really good camp. Looking forward to getting him back out here on the field.”

(On what he’s looking to see out of QB Bryce Perkins and QB Devlin Hodges during the first preseason game against the Chargers)
“I think just good operation. Being good distributors of the football, getting us in and out as some of the right looks and really just enjoying themselves. I think making sure that you remind yourself to enjoy the moment, play to the best of your ability, try to play with a quieted mind and let the other 10 guys around you help you as well. Looking forward to both of those guys playing well.”

(On what he’s hoping to see out of WR TuTu Atwell)
“Just continued growth. Just understanding what's being asked of him from the receiver position within the framework of whether it's the run game, the pass game. He's doing a good job. I like the progression. (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber always does a great job with those receivers. If he gets the ball in his hands, want to see him be able to make some plays and then he’ll get an opportunity to catch some punts as well.”

(On Atwell’s speed and if there’s a plan to have him and WR DeSean Jackson running down the field together)
“We’ve got a lot of guys that can run. There's a lot of players that make plays down the field. The first thing, like I've said all along, is it starts with calling plays that give guys an opportunity to do that. So, I definitely have to make sure that I'm cognizant of that, but those two guys in particular definitely have juice and depending upon the personnel groupings that we're activating, they could both be on the field at the same time, could be one of them, they could both be waiting to get in, so they're definitely added elements and that's one of those traits that they both possess. It's pretty unique and special, but they're also a lot of other good things that they do.”

(On what he’ll be like with Offensive Coordinator Kevin O’Connell calling plays on Saturday)
“We're so much more regulated during the course of the preseason, so I think it's a good opportunity. It was something that (former Washington Head Coach) Jay Gruden afforded me the opportunity when I was in Washington and I thought it was great just to be able to get used to changing personnel is getting the play calls in within the 40-second clock or 25 out of a clock stoppage. Then you want to try to give guys a chance to be able to make plays and enjoy themselves, but it's very different than what a normal game would entail as far as just the different things that we're doing offensively and in the run game, in the pass game. I think it's just a good opportunity to get those experiences, getting comfortable just using the headset, but I'm looking forward. I know he'll do a great job there.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp being listed as the punt returner on the depth chart)
“I didn't see that depth chart if we did. He won't be our punt returner.”

(On status of CB Darious Williams)
“(Ccool smiley Darious (Williams), his ankle, he's got a couple of days. I expect him to be back later this week or next week. He just kind of had a little ankle tweak. We want to be really smart with him and get him back sooner than later. But do expect him back within the next week.”

(On how often he plays pickup basketball)
“I haven't played pickup. I'd probably pull a hamstring or tear my Achilles if I played pickup basketball right now. I like to compete in whatever it is. We used to play pickup basketball when we were in Washington – scrappy competitor. But it has been a while since I played some pickup hoops.”

(On how he teaches offensive linemen to block for a scrambling Qcool smiley
“I don't know that you really teach it, I think it's more of a feel thing than anything. I mean football has 22 moving parts on every single snap, but in a lot of instances things don't always go according to plan. I think that's the beauty of the game – is the creativity that kind of unfolds when things do go off schedule. But I think those guys have a feel for all right, when he breaks contain, or when he does break the pocket, is he getting flushed to his right? Is he getting flushed to the left? Is he up and under? Is he spinning out? And those linemen have an understanding based on where those rush patterns and the reaction of the defense, as they're trying to kind of mirror that quarterback. But it's really the 10 guys being able to work off of it. We have rules that we try to implement in terms of working with the flow of the quarterback for the skill players. Then the offensive linemen, it's almost just kind of staying covered up with the guy. But when those things occur, I think those are kind of organic things that the more guys play, they just get a real feel for it. It's hard to truly simulate those types of things. That's why you like the competitive opportunities, but with the quarterback not being able to get tackled, it is sometimes hard to simulate in practice.”

(On manipulating practices to simulate game situations)
“I think you can sometimes manipulate those situations in like seven-on-seven settings, if you're trying to work it. But with the team settings, usually the whistles are going to be fairly early when we aren't live on the quarterback.”

(On meeting protocols this season back at the facility)
“We’ll use that (tent) as an opportunity to kind of walk through and kind of just meetings in there, if we want to have a little bit more space than what our building allows. We are in our building. We're able to operate normally out of the meeting rooms. We'll still utilize that (tent) just in terms of just the structure of the day. If we want to be able to do kind of some stuff where you're standing up and you're moving a little bit without having to feel like you get your cleats on and get on the grass.”

(On when DB Robert Rochell will be able to fully participate)
“I'm not really sure. I think he's able to do a lot of the drills full speed off to the side. But we will have to put him in a cast when he does play full speed. What that exactly looks like and what the timetable is, anywhere over the next couple of weeks.”

(On protecting his depth during preseason)
“I think that's always an important part of what you want to do with the roster building. We'll get a chance to see a lot of our depth guys, because there's going to be probably about 35 players that are not playing in this game for us. It'll be fun, I think the goal is always to try to stay healthy. I think that has been something that we've done a really good job of that's a credit to our players, (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott and his group – relative to the things that you can control. There are certain injuries that, no matter what the circumstances are, unfortunately they would occur. But I think that'll be something that I'll be better equipped to answer after the next couple of weeks.”

(On what it will be like going against former Rams defensive coordinator and Los Angeles Chargers Head Coach, Brandon Staley on Saturday)
“It’ll be good. It'll be good to see him and looking forward to it.”

QB Delvin Hodges
(On how training camp has gone so far and if it feels normal)
“Definitely just a lot of excitement. Like you said, like a normal training camp, preseason and preseason games, last year didn't get to play any (preseason games). So, there's just a lot of excitement to be able to play, and just looking forward to it. Love this group of guys, obviously day-by-day, getting to know them a little better. Man, so far, they’re a lot of fun, the staff's a lot of fun and just the energy here is a lot of fun. Just blessed to be here and excited.”

(On what it’s been like integrating into this offensive system and his impressions)
“When you come into a new system, obviously, for me anyways, reps are definitely a way to learn. Just getting more reps, you get better each and every day and you just get more familiar. Now there is some similarities in some of the concepts we may do, but just terminology is different. With those reps, you just get more comfortable. Every rep, is it just another opportunity to get better.”

(On what it’s like hearing Offensive Coordinator Kevin O’Connell on the headset and his command of the offense)
“(Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Kevin O’Connell) has got great command and like you said, just hearing his voice, especially when he's going to call the plays on Saturday and all preseason, it just kind of gives you a little comfort, a good comfort level. Just hearing him every day and the way he called plays, you kind of start picking up on what he's going to call, how he's going to call it and it's just been great.”

(On what he feels like he accomplished thus far in training camp)
"Just getting better each and every day, get closer with the guys. Obviously, learning the playbook still, picking up on new things, trying to get the base plays down. Now with it being game week, it's kind of getting a good idea of what we're going to do this Saturday. Getting ready to go out and play and be the best I can be for the team.”

(On if there’s anything he’s looking to get out of Saturday’s game)
“Just for us to win, show L.A. who is the home team of SoFi Stadium, so a lot of excitement.”

(On the activation drills at the beginning of practice and it being a lot of movement in the pocket)
“Absolutely. It's funny, because when we go back and watch film after practice, or the next day. When we kind of escape, Coach will be like, ‘Hey, look, that's the drill we did before practice.’ Also, it's good just to kind of get the blood flowing, get a good tempo and get the legs moving. Because I mean, playing quarterback, it's all about legs and core. We do some great stuff before practice that gets us ready for seven(-on-seven) and team (drills) and all that good stuff.”

(On if he wishes the coaches wouldn’t blow the whistle so quick in practice)
“Sometimes I feel like they blow the whistle a little too early, but you know, coaches always say, ‘No matter what if the whistle is blown, try to finish.’ And he basically says, you try not to hear the whistle. We try to play every play, play it out and just put those drills and work and compete every day.”

(On QB Matthew Stafford and his mentorship)
“(Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) is awesome. I mean, first of all, he's just a great dude and he's very like hands-on even with us. Lots of times, not even talking about football, he's just one of the guys. I've been fortunate enough to be behind Matthew and behind (Steelers Qcool smiley Ben (Roethlisberger), I mean two probably Hall of Fame quarterbacks. It's a lot taking what I learned there and what I learned from Matthew, it's just cool to watch him. That dude, he's got a cannon and he's just fun to watch at practice.”

(On if he feels like his style of QB is more similar to Stafford)
“I don’t know, maybe. I like to take a little bit from both of them and just try to make my game better.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Rams Transcripts - HC Sean McVay, QB Devlin Hodges - August 12, 2021

Shaky389August 13, 2021 02:09AM

Thanks Shakes! Love the transcripts!

stlramz125August 13, 2021 07:57AM

Re: Thanks Shakes! Love the transcripts!

Shaky194August 13, 2021 10:33AM

BerendsenRam222August 13, 2021 10:40AM

stlramz196August 13, 2021 11:07AM

Hope it's a good busy...

roman18179August 14, 2021 03:44AM

Re: Ditto

RamsFanSince69141August 14, 2021 10:01AM

Rams Transcripts: Appreciated Shakes.. Reading is sometimes better

Anonymous User225August 14, 2021 01:10PM