Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, because I'm a broken record if I do...

July 09, 2021 02:51PM
I've told this many times here, and over the years. It's not much.... and I think you'd have to be me, or my wife, to really appreciate it. It's certainly nothing Jourdan can use.... but here, let me copy and paste it:

JamesJM
I have been a football fan, Ram fan, since the 50’s. Merlin is my all time favorite football player.

In the 70’s it was quite easy to get up close and personal with players… as they entered the Coliseum and as they exited. At that time I would arrive early for the games and park in the same parking lot that the players used. Often right next to them.

My new ‘toy’ in those days was a portable TV I could plug into my car’s cigarette lighter - so when I arrived at the parking lot I’d set up my TV on the top of my car and watch the 1st game, 10am on the west coast. It was common for players to stop by my car when walking from the parking lot to the Coliseum and watch a little of the early games with my wife and I. Merlin, often, was one of them.

Some players would stick around for a long while watching, but not Merlin. By the time Merlin arrived at the parking lot his game face was on. I’m not sure during his football career if Merlin ever didn’t have his ‘game face on’. But he did stop by. Merlin was as personable, kind, and generous as his legend speaks of him.

At one time he actually knew my wife and I by name… I suppose that’s my proudest football memory, and shall remain so forever. Merlin would stop by and join the group surrounding my car watching the first game, whomever was playing. Occasionally even his brother Phil would stop by. For a few minutes Merlin would join in on the lively banter, football discussion… always bright eyed and with a gentle smile.

But Merlin had a game to play - so there would come that moment when the smile would fade, his eyes would narrow, and he’d head toward the Coliseum; always with a gracious good-bye and a “Cya next home game”. You could easily see the transition in his countenance when he turned to enter the Coliseum. Game prep for Merlin began long before donning the uniform, or the entrance thru the Coliseum tunnel, or the gathering around the captains before taking the field for a hearty “RAMS!”.

The one thing my wife and I could be sure of, as sure as the sun coming up, was that Merlin was going to give it 100% that day.

And then there was the exit from Tunnel after the game… my wife and I waiting to congratulate the win or, blissfully seldom, offer condolences for a loss. And win or lose he’d exit the tunnel to the waiting throngs with bright eyes, and that gentle smile. He’d sign autographs, shake your hand, make brief small-talk and then…. he’d turn and head to the parking lot…. game-face on. He had a game to play the following week. - Jimmy Marchini
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Request from Jourdan Rodrigue…

max652July 09, 2021 01:45PM

Thanks Max, I sent a short Merlin story directly. (nm)

JamesJM157July 09, 2021 02:35PM

Re: Thanks Max, I sent a short Merlin story directly. (nm)

Rams43156July 09, 2021 02:36PM

Thanks Max, I sent a short Merlin story directly. Yeah Jimmy?

Anonymous User159July 09, 2021 02:44PM

Well, because I'm a broken record if I do...

JamesJM173July 09, 2021 02:51PM

Here’s one from me….

max340July 09, 2021 05:01PM

Very nice story. (nm)

JamesJM138July 09, 2021 05:23PM

Re: Here’s one from me….

Rams43154July 10, 2021 06:36AM

Re: Here’s one from me…. Good stuff max... nm

Anonymous User183July 10, 2021 07:05AM

Thanks. I sent her a personal story with Merlin Olsen (nm)

RockRam107July 10, 2021 01:58AM

I sent her this.................

Crazylegs153July 10, 2021 07:20AM

I sent her a link to.......

21Dog118July 10, 2021 07:36AM

Re: I sent her a link to.......

Crazylegs107July 10, 2021 07:43AM

Re: Request from Jourdan Rodrigue…

RamsFanSince69140July 10, 2021 08:03AM

Re: +1!!!!!!! (nm)

AlbaNY_Ram98July 10, 2021 08:21AM