Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

agreed...but it's too soon to tell what their real options will be

July 03, 2021 06:34AM
RockRam
Because of the league's structure that aims towards parity, every expiring position of strength can't always be equally replenished, at least in the short term.

What exactly the Rams are going to do for 2022 at LT I don't know. I feel confident they have a pretty good handle on it. However to think that the Rams are going to be fortunate enough to field a LT as good as Whitworth might be a bit optimistic.

Just as the Saints can't field a QB in 2021 as good as Brees even knowing he was soon going to retire, it's that way with the retirement or FA loss of some exceptional players for every team.

I agree with you that it's optimistic to think they will just have another Whitworth sitting there waiting for them in 2022. And the problem is, you can't "settle" at LOT. You don't "get by" at LOT. Your guy does not have to be elite, he can be just consistent and solid, but there are very few players who can be consistent, solid franchise LOTs.

What I meant by the way that got (strangely) contested is--what options that are there (trade? free agent? trade up?) is not under the Rams control, which is a point you're making yourself in different words. If there are no free agents then there are no free agents, for example, and usually there aren't. It;s the same in a lot of ways as finding a qb. Not many people can play qb in the NFL at at least a consistently solid level, and that's like that with LOT.

Somehow some people hearing this are taking it as questioning the Rams personnel competence. Which means they are not hearing the discussion right. Of course the Rams will explore all the options available--but they have no control over how many or which options will be real in 2022, at a position where in fact usually there are NOT a lot of options. Either way right now we have no way of knowing what options will be actual and real in 2022. Is a trade possible? Is there a free agent? Can they trade up for a rookie?

The Rams can try to develop a lower round pick and maybe even pull it off but the odds against that are really huge. And again, it's not like you can just "make do" at the position.

All this would be solved the most easily if Noteboom improves and projects as a solid, consistent franchise LOT. But I am not very confident he IS that. The issue is compounded by the fact that he will be a free agent. If he's real you pay for him, if he comes cheap it's likely because other teams don't see him as real.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

21 offensive tackles who are set to hit free agency in 2022

BerendsenRam458June 29, 2021 11:29PM

Ryan Ramczyk, Saints signed 5 year extension today

stlramz145June 30, 2021 09:00AM

which is how it usually works

zn224June 30, 2021 09:43AM

The issue is NOT whether they have options

PHDram141June 30, 2021 05:22PM

Yes. And everything can't be optimally fixed every year

RockRam119July 03, 2021 04:06AM

agreed...but it's too soon to tell what their real options will be