Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: QB accuracy chart puts Matthew Stafford in good company

June 30, 2021 09:38AM
BumRap
Good info. I always wonder about who the receivers were for those targets and I wish they would provide those receivers win rates so you can really see who is driving the success. If you have a great contested ball WR you will take more shots I bet. Kupp was our best but not often a deep ball target since he was predominantly in the slot.

I did wish Goff saw or challenged deep more but I also saw a lot of drops or recievers that did not show the awareness or did not do well going up and getting the ball consistently of contested deep balls once we lost our deep threat.

I do see that Stafford has been an agressive QB historically but he has also had some WRs that excell at either getting open deep or going up and winning in those situations. I am certain his communication and level of autonomy is and has been greater. Rams seem to have gone after bigger Redzone targets and have now added downfield threats so this could be a plus. I am still hesitant to imagine that Sean will call better plays but if he is willing to amend to his QB's Strengths and allow Matts leadership and experience to enhance or augment the offense instead of staying in the QBs earhole like he was known to do then I can see our offense moving forward.

McVay is not like his Mentor in SF who is a better play caller and game manager IMO. I think McVay can have more success if Stafford lightens his gametime burden,

People who say Goff wouldn't throw to deeper routes are part right. That happened in 2020. It certainly wasn't the case the previous 3 years. But that's just a matter of getting the history right.

In terms of Stafford, he's a longtime deep route attacker, but then the complaint on him is that he doesn't handle shorter routes as well. This shows up in his 3rd down stats for example. On 3rd and long he was ranked first in the league (in terms of getting 1st down conversions). Yet on 3rd and medium and 3rd and short, he was ranked 15th and 29th respectively.

A qualifier for the inevitable handful of responders who take that as an attack on Stafford, the Rams, McVay, and all that is sacred. cool smiley Naw don't sweat it, it's just this minor detail. A fact to be put in with lots of other facts.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

QB accuracy chart puts Matthew Stafford in good company

BerendsenRam547June 28, 2021 08:55AM

Interesting chart

NewMexicoRam235June 28, 2021 02:59PM

Re: Interesting chart

LMU93143June 29, 2021 03:23AM

Re: Interesting chart

BerendsenRam147June 29, 2021 11:17PM

BumRap105June 30, 2021 09:25AM

zn112June 30, 2021 09:38AM

Chart is only passes from a clean pocket...

max107June 30, 2021 09:36AM