Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rams have some serious camp battles at at least 5 positions, huh?

June 28, 2021 08:24AM
RockRam
I have a little different view.

Safety: It's Burgess's spot to lose. The reason is that he is a hybrid Safety-CB. Therefore coverages can be better disguised. Rapp and Scott will be situational subs.

CB: these guys are not fighting for the same positions. Rochelle is pure outside CB. Long is more slot than outside. Again, Burgess is a hybrid Safety-CB-Slot guy.

WOLB: Agreed. Very unsettled. May be a good thing (plenty of talent), may be a bad thing (no one is good enough to separate from the others and be a more complete WOLcool smiley. So a FA indeed stays as an open possibility.

ILB: imo Jones has the inside track for one major reason: he has the ability to be the "green dot" guy. He essentially did that at least his final two years at Carolina. A known leader and smart guy; quick to diagnose. It's the other ILB that I agree is wide open. But I'd place my bets on Reeder as the base D guy at least to start the year, but with specialty subs on obvious passing downs.

WR: No mystery here. Woods, Kupp, Jefferson. Despite what McVay says about Jackson, he'll be used sparingly. He's too old and fragile to be seen as a regularly featured "3rd WR". The other guy that has to be thrown in the mix for some specialty plays is Harris. The guy is just so tall and fast and athletic that he can be a match up problem, and the NFL is all about match ups. So we're going to see a bunch of different "WRs" out there for McVay depending on the game plan, and perhaps lining up in unconventional positions.

Great reply, Rock.

If we’re gonna make our respective SWAGs, here’s mine.

Safety. Probably Burgess paired with Fuller. But Morris just might find him to be the best nickel when all the dust settles. Other S candidates are more than adequate if he so chooses.

CB. I currently see Long as the nickel based upon early reports of his year to year progress. Future outside CB to replace DW could be either Long or Rochell. I think either could play nickel OR outside very well, frankly.

WOLB. We’re definitely on the same page here.

ILB. I just don’t know which 2 of about 5 candidates here are gonna be Morris’ starters. It’s gonna come down to camp and preseason accomplishments.

WR. It comes down to how one defines ‘3rd WR’, I guess. I predict that McVay will tinker around with some kind of loose ‘rotation’ for quite some time before it’s over. I further predict that when he’s done he will consider Jefferson, DJ, and Atwell as 3 different precise instruments with which to best attack specific D’s each week. Bottom line, it might be kinda tough to define exactly who is 3rd WR on any given Sunday. And yeah, Harris is definitely a wildcard. A very exciting one, at that.

Nice discussion, man.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams have some serious camp battles at at least 5 positions, huh?

Rams43320June 28, 2021 06:47AM

RockRam118June 28, 2021 07:16AM

Rams43109June 28, 2021 08:24AM