Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: McVay explains the importance of becoming more than an offensive-minded coach…

June 16, 2021 05:30AM
This is a very interesting topic. I can see this one of two ways.

1. McVay is trying to become a more holistic coach and wants to as CEO of the team ensure all phases are at their best. This is a well rounded approach and has potential for the long-term. Compare that to Belichick who is a known Defensive guru but has enough focus and knowledge of the offense to find the right guy to run it and ensure it plays to strengths (last season aside).

2. The more critical eye piece would point to McVay jumping on the bandwagon of the units that are having the most success. The offense has regressed significantly the last 2 seasons. Shouldn't McVay focus on his 'strengths' first? Maybe McVay has fixed the problems with the offense by adding WRs, Stafford, and a new OL coach. If the offense still struggles significantly the next 2 years even with all the changes, then it will point to this scenario to me. It means that McVay is a decent head coach, but a very mediocre coordinator trying to take the credit of others (LaFleur 17', Taylor 18', Staley 20').

I still can't tell how much McVay is the cause of the Rams #1 defense versus Staley. We will know a lot more after this season. If the Chargers have great defensive improvement and the Rams regress significantly, that will point to Staley being the primary driver. If the Rams still keep a top 5 and the chargers are relatively flat, that will point to McVay focusing on the defense and it having success.

Summary: My radar is on to see if McVay is trying to take credit for the Rams best unit last year as a way to pump himself up and shed the woes of the offense. He made a lot of moves this off-season. He has a new QB he chose. Filled in player gaps. Upgrade OL coaching. This is the big year to see just how good McVay is!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay explains the importance of becoming more than an offensive-minded coach…

Rams43275June 15, 2021 03:45PM

Re: McVay explains the importance of becoming more than an offensive-minded coach…

BearlyThere250June 16, 2021 05:30AM

Rams43130June 16, 2021 07:21AM

zn110June 16, 2021 12:38PM

BearlyThere said: I can see this one of two ways.

Anonymous User136June 16, 2021 05:08PM