Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams secondary ranked just inside top 10 after losses of Hill and Johnson

June 09, 2021 10:06AM
Link

Cameron DaSilva
June 9, 2021 6:57 am PT

No team in the NFL allowed fewer passing yards or touchdowns through the air than the Los Angeles Rams last season. They clearly had the best pass defense in the league, giving up just 190.7 yards per game and only 17 touchdown passes in 16 games.

The secondary was led by Jalen Ramsey, but he got plenty of help from John Johnson, Darious Williams, Troy Hill and Jordan Fuller. Johnson and Hill are both gone after signing with the Browns in free agency, leaving the secondary a bit thinner.

However, Pro Football Focus still views it as one of the 10 best in football, ranking the Rams’ secondary ninth in the NFL.

The Rams would rank higher here had they been able to bring back John Johnson III and Troy Hill from the league’s most efficient defense last season. Instead, both took their talents to Cleveland.

Jalen Ramsey and Darious Williams are still in place, though, and they formed one of the best cornerback tandems in the league last season. Of the 100 cornerbacks to record at least 250 coverage snaps in 2020, 20 players allowed fewer than one yard per coverage snap. Ramsey (0.5) and Williams (0.9) were both among that group. Los Angeles just needs younger players, such as Terrell Burgess and David Long Jr., to step up and replace the starters lost in free agency.

As Ben Linsey notes, Burgess and Long must step up on defense. They could be the replacements for Johnson and Hill, respectively, but so too could Taylor Rapp, Robert Rochell and Donte Deayon.

The losses of Johnson and Hill are significant, but the Rams have talented young players on the roster who could fill in as starters. It’s just a matter of those unproven guys rising to the occasion and playing at a high level so the drop-off isn’t steep.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsdude192June 09, 2021 10:06AM

Ranked pretty well

Ram_Ruler144June 09, 2021 10:36AM

Re: Ranked pretty well

BerendsenRam192June 09, 2021 10:54AM