Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft. He's an Icon but his hit ratio is lacking

April 15, 2021 08:00AM
Kiper was never an NFL scout or GM or even a player. He can watch millions of hours of film reacting to college player's relative success against like competition and give an opinion on what he sees. And he does. And sometimes it's entertaining. But it isn't an expert analysis in any way. Plus, he doesn't know all the ins and outs of any particular team's needs, but instead, offers a generalized view of each team's needs or desires. I'll take this board's draftees over Mel every time and appreciate all the work they do. They watch college games specifically for talent who might help the Rams. If you want outside insights I would go with Charlie Casserly who was a big time GM who has actually made giant trades and moved up, down or out of draft positions to get targeted picks.
All that aside, let's look at Mel's thinking...our Rams with Woods, Kupp, Jackson and Jefferson have a NEED at WR. So not true. We could pick up a speedster somewhere to blow the top off defenses when Jackson retires or gets injured. We might look to get a Megatron type, but that kind of guy, if there ever was another one, would be a first round top ten pick. I predict we add someone with raw skills deep in the draft or undrafted FA. So nah Mel, we ain't jumping on a WR at 57. We might need some help at edge and DE, but I can see us drafting these guys later or signing FAs after the draft. But, to predict Snead to jump on an ILB is plain silly. Especially one who runs a 4.71. We like our LBs to be fast like Littleton.
The next thought is that all the draftniks spend a majority of their time trying to mock an accurate first round. And they're not great at that. So, after a few surprises the accuracy goes down from there. To nail a pick perfectly in the middle of the second round is nearly impossible. And if Mel Kiper were given the first 56 picks and had to give his educated guess at that point I bet he would miss. I think we trade down myself into the 60s. Snead like to predict a range and has many possible picks in mind and trades down just enough slots to guarantee he gets his target in that range while adding picks. This is smart.
Mel is not.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams reach for LB Ernest Jones in Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft...

Rams43604April 13, 2021 05:41AM

Re: Rams reach for LB Ernest Jones in Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft...

PHDram271April 13, 2021 06:21AM

Re: Rams reach for LB Ernest Jones in Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft...

Ekern55506April 13, 2021 07:51AM

Ridiculous.

alyoshamucci312April 13, 2021 08:02AM

Yes and what is ironic here IMO

merlin197April 13, 2021 01:19PM

Re: Ridiculous.

Classicalwit257April 13, 2021 01:36PM

He makes up his own pick and then calls it a reach?

promomasterj235April 13, 2021 01:59PM

as long as he's better than the earnest Jones we drafted a few years back NM

joram152April 13, 2021 02:02PM

Re: He makes up his own pick and then calls it a reach?

21Dog196April 13, 2021 02:53PM

Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft. He's an Icon but his hit ratio is lacking

Anonymous User309April 13, 2021 03:45PM

Re: Mel Kiper’s 2021 mock draft. He's an Icon but his hit ratio is lacking

SoCalRAMatic202April 15, 2021 08:00AM