Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Instead of trading Kupp or Woods, what about Higbee

February 09, 2021 08:27AM
promomasterj
Bringing in a FA WR like Marvin Jones would be a good thing, it seems - but why destroy our WR depth. Next year it will be one of our more thin position groups. After Kupp and Woods there is no proven NFL starter talent. Jefferson may become that, but have we seen enough of him in limited snaps to be sure? Someone like Jones would just add to the weapons.

For whatever reason - Higbee's 2020 was pretty sub-par. Not sure if it was injury, or gameplan but he seemed to be less involved and I'm not sure how good of a blocker he is at this point. It's not that we have great depth at the position - but maybe it's easier to find vet blocking TE's or H-Backs on the cheap. Maybe we could get Everett cheaper than Higbee. They kind of have the same skillset.

Higbee has been really good at times, but when it comes to a pure numbers game - his contract, plus others like Brockers and Havenstein might be too much for the amount of production they bring.

The problem with trading players that would be painless to part with and feel palatable to no longer have is you're not going to get much for them. Those trades are often pointless.

If we trade Higbee we save $5,675,000 on the cap. But that's not enough savings to get a Marvin Jones. As for draft compensation, maybe you get a 5th round pick.

But the flip side of a Higbee trade is, we would then have no proven TE's on the roster. And that position is traditionally one of the harder ones for a rookie to come in and be productive right away. I think that move would be more risky than taking from the WR strength.

IMO, they would not trade Woods or Kupp if they didn't feel Jefferson was ready. McVay said he's going to be a star so while we haven't seen enough it sounds like the coaching staff has seen enough to be very high on him.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Instead of trading Kupp or Woods, what about Higbee

promomasterj482February 09, 2021 08:16AM

Rams43173February 09, 2021 08:22AM

dzrams161February 09, 2021 08:27AM

Higbee is a darn good TE

RockRam143February 09, 2021 09:49AM

5 years in the league, pedestrian numbers, no pro bowls

promomasterj185February 09, 2021 12:51PM

Stats aren't everything. Plus, too big a cap hit for 2021

RockRam129February 09, 2021 12:58PM

We can't replace the 19th ranked TE in the league?

promomasterj172February 09, 2021 02:12PM

I like Higbee a lot. I just wish he was more of a RZ threat.

Ramgator142February 09, 2021 02:33PM

Higbee was not well used last year...

Rams43193February 09, 2021 04:52PM

TEs were targeted 24 times in the Zona game

merlin219February 09, 2021 08:59PM

Killrazor198February 10, 2021 12:03AM