Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Goff: "We're not on the same page". Nail in the coffin

February 07, 2021 06:59AM
The first thing I want to say is that the OP put together a balanced and well written post. I know it's good when it inspires me to dig deeper.

To me, it comes down to whether or not McVay believes he has the QB he needs to execute his vision for the offense. Personally, I thought Jared did a good job (for the most part) in handling the intricacies of varied tempo and when he did have a firm grasp of the play concept, he was pretty darned accurate. Where I saw flaws and purpose for a new direction were as follows:

1. Many times they came to the line with no time left on the clock. Perhaps McVay had too much to communicate for Jared to get the play off?

2. When the play didn't go as planned, Jared's programmed, robotic processing couldn't adapt to more creative options. Players like Favre, Tarkenton, and Montana had an innate ability to think outside the structure by sheer instinct. It's a rare, subtle quality that separates good from great.

3. There is no substitute for experience when quickly diagnosing a defense. This I believe was the single greatest factor in why the trade was executed. McVay didn't want the patient approach. He wanted to skip five chapters in the book so he could get to the climax in the next to last chapter. Mission accomplished.

4. This point is related to the third, McVay is excited about having a coach on the field that is a true collaboration of concepts. Instead of teaching the options of offensive concepts, he now has a QB that already understands how to attack defenses, adjust to sudden changes in disguised defensive schemes, and can actually challenge McVay with perspectives drawn from many years of playing the position. I believe Stafford becomes the true passing game coordinator who gets the new opportunity of playing with an excellent running game. The offseason where the player and coach get to brainstorm their approach will likely be the most exciting for them both.

5. 2021 is a Rams reset. Most of the coaching staff and many of the players will be far different than the 2020 squad. While there are several key players returning, McSnead is creating a new operational identity. Yes, they will build on established principles, but the existing trajectory had become too limited and stale for sustained success. The appetite to become multiple in scheme IS their identity. 3/4, 4/3, Zone, Man, combo defense ready to pivot upon command. Zone blocking, power runs, spreads, varied personnel packages, Akers in the wildcat (or a QB yet to be drafted), run and shoot, it's all on the table. The draft and FA will tell us a great deal about what direction the schemes will favor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2021 07:03AM by Leoram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff: "We're not on the same page". Nail in the coffin

RockRam767February 06, 2021 04:10AM

Papatrey491February 06, 2021 04:36AM

At first it did seem that way; turns out it meant something more

RockRam241February 06, 2021 05:07AM

Re: At first it did seem that way; turns out it meant something more

Classicalwit237February 07, 2021 04:39AM

McVay had to do what he had to do. I think it will be better for both. I never saw...

Ramgator289February 06, 2021 04:37AM

Very fair

BumRap189February 06, 2021 08:10PM

Good read right there. NM

NewMexicoRam172February 06, 2021 05:39AM

Re: Hope springs eternal

BumRap171February 06, 2021 08:04PM

Eternal pessimism

RockRam185February 07, 2021 02:08AM

NorCalRamFan151February 06, 2021 11:56PM

21Dog143February 07, 2021 05:28AM

Remember the controversy when he was drafted?

Ramboni211February 07, 2021 04:28AM

Re: Remember the controversy when he was drafted?

CraigMatson254February 07, 2021 05:05AM

Leoram251February 07, 2021 06:59AM