Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff: "We're not on the same page". Nail in the coffin

February 06, 2021 04:10AM
Funny how in our many (and interesting) discussions on the matter of McVay, Goff, and the trade that Goff's very public comment that he and McVay aren't on the same page gets less attention than it should. That was a very unwise statement from a young QB if he hoped to remain in good stead with his HC.

This is code in any profession for a rift between 2 people. Doesn't mean they hate each other. But it does mean theyhave opposite, or at least very different and incompatible, views of what direction matters should take. In the case of Goff and McVay, clearly that matter is the offense and what Goff is being asked to do. And no doubt, what the outcomes have been.

The thing is, should McVay have tried to heal that rift? The take of many people is that he didn't try hard enough. Or was too stubborn (immature?) to change. That Goff just needed more seasoning, understanding, and perhaps an adjustment to complement what he does best.

I've never been in an NFL QB room. Nor have I been part of an NFL locker room. Nor have I been privy to just exactly how it works between QB and coach. But if it is anything like most other businesses, the coach is the boss. Sure there is collaboration. And of course, the importance and accomplishments of the employee in question matter as to how much input he gets. But in the end it is the HC that decides on the direction.... not the QB.

Should Jared Goff get as much of a say as Aaron Rogers? Tom Brady? Even Mahommes? Should the coach bend his will to the QB? Naturally the coach should do what his QB is best capable of doing..... but only to a point. That QB has to be able to do certain things well that the coach sees as fundamental to his offensive and overall game strategy. Doesn't mean the QB is a bad QB. But it can mean he's not a good fit with the HC.

We've all watched the Jared Goff that we thought was on a trajectory to elite, that took a sudden turn to average. A guy that took care of the ball that suddenly, over a 2 year period, was next to worst in the league in that category. A guy that could drive you to victory or to drink. No matter what offense, no QB can be a turnover machine like Jared had become. Not in one game, or even one year..... but two full seasons. And clearly it's not like Goff and McVay didn't talk.... many times. McVay is known as the great communicator.

McVay made the judgment that Goff was not going to get the Rams to the promised land. No way Snead or Kroenke thought McVay was wrong or they wouldn't have backed such a dramatic move. After all, they could have gone the route of the Eagles and fired McVay and kept Goff. McVay would have been off the market in about a day if they decided to go the Pederson route.

McVay and Snead obviously think they have significantly upgraded the # 1 most important position on any football team. Of course there are question marks. But there were also question marks when the GOAT Brady left the Pats and went to the Bucs at age 42.

While we can all prophesy about how things are going to go with Stafford and McVay, the reality is we won't know until a few games into the 21 season. Some feel great about it, others despondent. That's fair.

I am optimistic because I still trust Mcvay and Snead to continue their high batting average on player acquisition and running a team. A team that has not has a losing record under McVay. A team that went to the Superbowl. A team that has made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he's coached. And because they aren't afraid to make bold moves to try to get the Rams into a Superbowl mode.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff: "We're not on the same page". Nail in the coffin

RockRam767February 06, 2021 04:10AM

Re: Goff: "We're not on the same page". Nail in the coffin

Papatrey491February 06, 2021 04:36AM

At first it did seem that way; turns out it meant something more

RockRam241February 06, 2021 05:07AM

Re: At first it did seem that way; turns out it meant something more

Classicalwit238February 07, 2021 04:39AM

McVay had to do what he had to do. I think it will be better for both. I never saw...

Ramgator290February 06, 2021 04:37AM

Very fair

BumRap189February 06, 2021 08:10PM

Good read right there. NM

NewMexicoRam173February 06, 2021 05:39AM

Re: Hope springs eternal

BumRap172February 06, 2021 08:04PM

Eternal pessimism

RockRam186February 07, 2021 02:08AM

NorCalRamFan152February 06, 2021 11:56PM

21Dog143February 07, 2021 05:28AM

Remember the controversy when he was drafted?

Ramboni211February 07, 2021 04:28AM

Re: Remember the controversy when he was drafted?

CraigMatson254February 07, 2021 05:05AM

Leoram252February 07, 2021 06:59AM