Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Possible explanation for Goff frustration syndrome

December 22, 2020 03:01PM
Sure that's possible. But, what I think frustrates me more is that we never see our backup QB. Of course it is probable that Goff is much better than his backup and the coaches see both side by side, but we fans never get that chance. We get to see all 3 RBs each week. We get to see 4 of our WRs and usually two TEs. We usually see the same OL as all five guys take every snap, but, for some unfathomable reason we don't see the backup QB. He only comes in if the starter gets injured. Why? I really don't get it. I've heard it explained that it would crush the starter's confidence. Why? It is this strange unwritten rule that NFL head coaches observe religiously. And I have never understood it. In a normal non-Covid year we would see other QBs compete in preseason games. Our backup did very well in these games. But, they weren't real and he was competing against backups. Now, if he gets in it is a desperate moment where Goff is being carried off the field and the backup has had no (zero) percent actual playing experience and would be coming in cold off the bench to play with ten guys he has never played with against an opponent he has never faced. To me, that is stupid. I would give my backup chances throw out the seeing. Coming off the bench for a series or two. Getting that necessary experience so that if the tragedy happens the backup will be ready. I am a big baseball fan. There are star starting pitchers. They are paid millions and get a lot of credit when they can shut down another team. But, they almost never finish a game. They bring in relief pitchers all the time due to matchups. They even have closers who shut the door late by blowing away three batters in the ninth inning. And these starters don't have 300 pound monsters trying to tear their limbs off. Yet we expect the starting QB to never tire, he is expected to fire a perfect pass on that fourth down and six play with seconds remaining on the clock even if he has thrown fifty passes and been hit twenty times throw out the contest. Why? In the NBA the starters play way more minutes including crunch time, but their backups play. Some play a lot. Why is the NFL different? I really don't understand it and the explanations I've heard over the years are unsatisfying.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Possible explanation for Goff frustration syndrome

promomasterj346December 22, 2020 02:37PM

..And the problem is...

sstrams148December 22, 2020 02:43PM

Re: Possible explanation for Goff frustration syndrome

SoCalRAMatic265December 22, 2020 03:01PM

Wolford is not an upgrade

promomasterj159December 22, 2020 03:11PM

Sorta sounds like Kurt Warner..

Ramgator142December 22, 2020 03:20PM

STATS.. just to put this out there...