Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Why aren't we focused on the disappearance of the run game?

November 30, 2020 05:43AM
This offense is wed to the play action pass. As many pointed out in the GTF, the 49ers were playing 8 man fronts. Stop the run and the play action becomes pointless. Then if we don't run, proceed to the QB and rattle Goff. Hence, Rams have to keep their TE's home, eliminating that passing option. The screen plays we love so much aren't much use when there are so many defenders close to the line.

McVay needs to add a wrinkle somewhere in his offense to combat this, but we haven't seen it in multiple seasons. Like you said, Goff just isn't the type of QB to win this on his own.

I'm no offensive expert, how do you counter the 8 man lines? Quick passes to the TE in the flat? Pound it until someone breaks free? Rollouts?

The reason I am suggesting powers and traps is because those stacked boxes can be exploited by allowing penetration away from the run while doubling the point of attack. This is what Robinson and Knox did so well against 8 man boxes. Now, I'm not advocating a wholesale revamp of the offense. I'm saying we should use similar concepts more frequently as a counter to the rules the defenses have in place to stop the ZBS.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why aren't we focused on the disappearance of the run game?

Leoram132November 30, 2020 05:02AM

I almost get the impression..

sstrams64November 30, 2020 05:07AM

303059November 30, 2020 05:20AM

My total guess would be..

sstrams125November 30, 2020 05:24AM

Leoram53November 30, 2020 05:43AM

Classicalwit97November 30, 2020 01:22PM