Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A very nice OL game review by TexasRam...

September 15, 2020 02:03PM
Here’s TexasRam...

I was able to rewatch the entire Rams Cowboys game today focusing on the Oline. Every snap and every block.

I didn't take notes and perhaps someone else can do snapshots with notes if they want.

But I did watch every snap and block carefully rewinding several times to see each linemans blocks for each snap. Below is what I found.

Whitworth - A Whit is playing at a high level still. His run blocking is still Elite. He gets perfect position, locks on forever and pushes people. Not a lot of long developing pass plays, but when they were there he was solid.

Noteboom B- Noteboom was real solid knowing assignment and showed some push in this game. His biggest weakness is he is completely unable to lock on to his block. If you rewatch the game focus on Notebooms blocks. He has trouble holding his man virtually every play. I am not sure if its technique or weak hands, but he cannot lock on at all. This resulted in the Smith sack and several run plays where his man came off him to make the play. With his quick feet, smarts and initial punch he is by no means a slouch. He has value, but he HAS to learn how to sustain a block. I think Edwards is way ahead of Boom and would be an improvement.

Blythe - B+ Blythe is so assignment solid and technique solid that he is almost always getting the job done. He didn't have any breakdowns that I remember. Because we run so many zone runs, he is able to leverage that running block and translate it into pushing his man back. This scheme is really perfect for him.

Corbett - A Corbett was awesome on tape. He showed lots of power at times, quickness and a real understanding of what we were doing. He pushed him man back on most plays. He did get beat on a spin move one time during pass protection but overall his game was really awesome in this one. Lets see how he holds up to a better defensive front. Right now I am on his bandwagon big time.

Havenstein B+ Big Rob is back to being excellent in the run game. He used perfect positioning, hand usage and his wide frame to really stonewall people and push them back. His Pass protection in this one was mostly pretty solid. Considering the very few longer developing pass plays, he didn't have much opportunity to give up a sack. He looks like the old Rob that was rated at the top in run blocking.

TE's Everett and Higbee need work in the run game and failed on more than one occasion.

Kupp - Cooper is maybe our favorite player here. I love the guy, but he has a lot of work to do in the run game. At times he gets completely destroyed or missed his block. It was the same last year. Love the guy but he has a lot of work to do. People don't realize how important our WR blocking in in the run game, but at times a breakdown is due to our WR's.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A very nice OL game review by TexasRam...

Rams43633September 15, 2020 02:03PM

Some Ram OL PFF grades vs Cowboys...

Rams43391September 15, 2020 02:05PM

Couple of interesting follow-up posts...

Rams43403September 15, 2020 02:25PM

Re: Couple of interesting follow-up posts...

LMU93234September 16, 2020 06:33AM

Here’s a tidbit by Merlin...

Rams43337September 15, 2020 02:29PM

BonifayRam chimes in here...

Rams43282September 15, 2020 02:32PM

Re: BonifayRam chimes in here...

Killrazor216September 16, 2020 12:20AM

Andrew Whitworth remains a major factor for Rams...

Rams43225September 15, 2020 02:36PM

Re: A very nice OL: agree on Boom

Steve217September 15, 2020 11:53PM

It's a long term decision. He is being groomed to be LOT, not LG.

RockRam330September 16, 2020 02:35AM

OL game 1

LMU93235September 16, 2020 03:16AM

agreed....and that's a big deal...cuz we were not sure what we had on OL....

SunTzu_vs_Camus360September 16, 2020 06:06AM

Re: agreed....and that's a big deal...cuz we were not sure what we had on OL....

Rams43190September 16, 2020 06:24AM

yup, I put that in McConnell's wheel-house...

SunTzu_vs_Camus167September 16, 2020 03:12PM

Re: OL game 1

Rams43180September 16, 2020 06:22AM