Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After re-watching the Cowboy game I have some general thoughts...

September 16, 2020 05:51AM
BTW, I simply re-watched, but without rewinding and watching every player on every snap. So, these thoughts should be taken as general impressions only.

On Offense.

Both Goff and McVay seem to be benefiting from O’Connell’s input. Goff seems more confident and poised, more of a master of this O. McVay’s gameplan was brilliant and playcalling was better than last year, including McVay staying with the run game even in a tossup game late.

Running game was just good enough to demand respect from the Dallas D. Akers got his feet wet but didn’t impress like I thought he would. Then again, chunk running plays are hard to come by if the OL doesn’t open the occasional big hole. I believe running game will improve over time if only because they’ll knock the rust off.

OL played pretty darned well, overall. Boom was the weakest link and needs to win me over as a LG. I’m pulling for him, of course, but there needs to be significant improvement or I would hope that Kromer replaces him at LG. I still think Boom’s future is at LOT (if Whit ever retires, lol).

Big Whit has obviously discovered the Fountain of Youth, huh? I would love to have a glass of that water, man. Amazing.

Blythe is making an early case supporting the wisdom of his 1 year extension. Don’t look now but he might be our starting C next year and beyond if this keeps up. Many a poster will be gnashing their teeth upon reading this, I know.

Don’t look now, but Corbett might be a gem for that 5th in trade. Fingers crossed.

Everett needs to step it up if he wants to be a Ram next year. Both Higbee and Everett need to improve their blocking and I mean ASAP! Both looked rusty there.

We’re absolutely loaded at WR, aren’t we? Heck both our 3rd and 4th WR’s made critical big catches that kept drives alive. But I must say that WR blocking I saw was not nearly up to their normal standards.

On Defense.

Floyd didn’t impress me, despite that one late sack. He needs to step it up in this ‘prove it’ year if he wants to be a Ram next season. I expected more from the vet, tbh.

Well, Staley has got to find an NFL edge on the other side. SOMEBODY has to seize that starting position because Ebu (and nobody else, really) seemed to want it. Might be our Achilles heel based upon this first game.

I’ve been saying this for several years, but why can’t other players take better advantage of AD’s presence and occupation by the opposing OL? I think that the others in that front 7 should be feasting when AD is on the field. Geez...

Tackling, other than DL looked worse than rusty, if you ask me. Gawd! Probably a result of no OTA’s, normal camp (including scrimmages with other teams),and no preseason games. But still... Surely the coaches will be emphasizing that this week. Better tackling, even decent tackling would have really shut the Cowboys down.

Kiser also disappointed. Watching that game film couldn’t have been a pleasant experience. I thought tackling was his forte for crying out loud. The young man needs to win me over and PDQ, at that.

Love our secondary. Heck, who doesn’t? Talk about loaded. We’ve got two 3rd rounders in Long and Burgess that can scarcely see the field other than ST. A 2nd rounder in Rapp May have at least temporarily lost his starting position to a 6th round rookie. An embarrassment of riches that I doubt even the most ardent among us really saw coming.

On ST.

Sloman needs to win me over, too. Missed short FG, a low 2nd kick, and short kickoffs? Really? Bonamego needs to keep those other 2 PK candidates on speed dial.

What the heck is up with Kupp as our ‘designated fair catcher’? Whose idea was that, McVay or Bonamego? When McVay tries ‘different’ things (like no vets playing in ps games) I at least can see the logic of his thinking. But this Kupp thing leaves me grasping at air. Wasn’t Calais supposedly brought in for this? Didn’t Webster do well as PR last year? C’mon, Coach...

Speaking of coaching, I think the Rams are better at HC, OC, and DC than at anytime since McVay came on board in ‘17 (with the possible exception of LaFleur that one year). And I think Bonamego is at least the equal of the recent Fassel for ST’s. Staley gets special kudos from me for the deceptive nature of his D presented to opposing QB’s.

Well, that’s it. Overall, a good first game against a quality opponent. Lots of things to clean up, but doable with the possible exception of lack of sufficient talent at edge and ILB. Those are 2 areas where these coaches must really earn their money. Fingers REALLY crossed here. Gulp...

I see this team with a floor of no less that 10 wins and a ceiling of maybe 13 wins. Probably an 11-12 win team, even in the difficult NFC West.

Anybody see things differently? Or have something I missed?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

After re-watching the Cowboy game I have some general thoughts...

Rams43594September 16, 2020 05:51AM

our STs are just meaningless to me now...listless.

SunTzu_vs_Camus294September 16, 2020 05:58AM

I really didn't think we had the opportunity..

sstrams309September 16, 2020 06:21AM

Re: I really didn't think we had the opportunity..

Rams43211September 16, 2020 06:28AM

yeah, I'm just overreacting about the STs cuz I'm bored....

SunTzu_vs_Camus141September 16, 2020 02:07PM

Nice little tidbit post by fearsomefour...

Rams43235September 16, 2020 08:16AM