Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 14, 2020

September 15, 2020 12:26AM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 14, 2020
(On whether he heard from the league about masks in the bench area)
“I did. I figured that memo was directed at me. I’ve got to do a better job about that. So moving forward there will be a conscious effort to do that.”

(On whether he will use a mask for a face shield)
“It's a good question. I haven't decided yet. I might even try one of the gaiters or whatever. I don't know. I just know I've been getting blasted all day about it, so I just love it. No, but you know, I will do better. I know I was definitely one of the main culprits of not following what the league wants and I will definitely be aware of that and do better next week.”

(On any injuries from Sunday’s game)
“Your typical bumps and bruises, but we came out of it clean. Don't expect anybody to be affected as far as their ability to practice this week and that was a real positive.”

(On the status of TE Gerald Everett)
“Yeah, he got his back banged up a little bit. But, he ended up coming back in at the end of the game and he'll be okay.”

(On any effects of not having a preseason)
“I think the big difference that I would say is for our defense. I was really pleased with the way that they played, But I thought they settled in. We missed a lot of tackles for the standards and for the expectations, but as the game went, I thought we were physical really throughout the course of the game. But the missed tackles was something that just from not getting as many opportunities to do. That was something that showed up. But overall, I thought I thought the guys handled it really well. That would be the one thing that stood out to me, if anything.”

(On the second half adjustments made on defense)
“It wasn't necessarily that we were doing a whole lot of different things as far as the calls, it was just the execution of the calls. I thought players did a great job. I thought our coaches did an excellent job of communicating – ‘If we do this, this'll lead to us having a little bit more success.’ Then just in general, just tackling better. I thought that showed up in the second half. I mean, when you look at it, thought we played really well overall throughout the whole night with the exception of the two-minute drive and then the touchdown to (Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) Zeke, where he ends up kind of getting uncovered and breaks a couple tackles on the little swing pass. But, when you look at just the way that the game started, the way our guys were able to settle in and finish the game, I thought that was reflective of being our best in the most important moments in those. Those ‘gotta have it’ moments, if you will., It's a job well done. But, the coaches did a great job. To answer your original question of communicating, if we get these calls, let's make sure we do a good job of executing within the framework of the call with the technique and the fundamentals that we preach.”

(On whether the lack of tackling in preseason aided to missed tackles in the game)
“I think so. We'll never make excuses because there's been the last couple of seasons, a lot of our starters that's exactly what's been par for them. That’s what’s been on par for the norm, I guess you could say. I think we'll be better next week. I thought we felt physical on both sides of the football specifically with our fronts. That was exactly what we wanted to do, and I credit those guys for getting it done.”

(On any individual performances that stood out last night)
“I thought (DL) Morgan Fox was outstanding. He played, I want to say around a little over 20 snaps and he was great in run defense. He did a great job. When you've got tough players that are versatile, that can play across the front and that understand exactly what we're trying to get done, those players are instrumental to your success as a team. You now, (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day. Really our interior front, when you look at (DL) Aaron (Donald) always shows up. (DL) Michael (Brockers) had a good game. But Morgan Fox and Sebastian were really bright spots. I thought (Lcool smiley Micah Kiser and (S) John Johnson (III) with just the communication and the responsibilities we placed on them were outstanding. And then when you look at the offensive side of the ball, I know it is kind of obvious based on the stats, but I thought (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown just did such a phenomenal job of contributing in a variety of roles – whether it be in protection, whether it be in the run game, the past game, where he made a couple plays in the screen. He was playing on special teams. I mean, what a stud in a tough, physical game that he had as well.”

(On his assessment of Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
“I thought he did a great job. You know, one thing too is, it was his first game coordinating in the NFL, but he's been a coordinator longer than I've called plays. He’s called defenses longer than I've called offense. So, at any level, he's been a high caliber performer at that job. He was great. He had great poise. I thought he had some great calls in some major situations where there's a lot of tension in some of those moments. But his poise I think was reflected in the way that he sent it in and then the way that the guys ultimately executed. I thought he had a great feel for the game, his composure and his ability to see things in live action is I think one of his special traits. That was definitely indicative last night of some of the decisions he made. There was definitely no hiccups. He did a really nice job.”

(On whether there is any hesitation to place WR Cooper Kupp as a punt returner)
“No, because I think the more touches that he gets, the better it is for our football team. It was a left-footed punter, it's got a different spin on it. We trust (WR Cooper Kupp) as much as anybody in terms of when you look at what our plan was, where we were in a lot of punt safes. You know that ‘Bones’ (Cowboys Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel) has a bag of tricks from here to Dallas in terms of all the different types of fakes that he can activate. So, that was part of it, but Cooper will be our punt returner moving forward.”

(On the running back rotation)
“I think yesterday was kind of indicative. I think Malcolm got a little bit more work just based on the flow of the game than maybe what we had anticipated, but he was rolling. He had a great feel. There was a lot of situations where he happened to be in the game and we did run it and he got some tough, hard-earned yards. I thought his fourth down run was phenomenal where he created a lot of that on his own. You see the tough touchdown runs that he had, But, I think that's par for the course. I would say this, as the game unfolds each week can kind of present some new things in terms of what do we like, what kind of concepts in the run game do we want to be able to activate? You are truly going into yesterday blind because we had zero inventory on what they were going to do. You look at a little New Orleans (Saints) film. (Cowboys Defensive Coordinator) Mike Nolan had been a coordinator in a lot of different places where you had an idea of what he would do. But, you're really just kind of just going off of all right, ‘what are we seeing?’ And then ‘how can we react accordingly?’ as opposed to what this week will entail work where (Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz) Coach Schwartz has done a great job for a handful of years and we’ve played them as well.”

(On what it was like in a live game with three new coordinators)
"It was good. It was just such a different atmosphere than what you’re so accustomed to, but what we tried to do, was simulate as many of those game-like situations as possible. That's why the scrimmage is so valuable and in a lot of instances, I mean, it seemed like we had the noise cranked up a little bit louder at that second scrimmage. I'm sure you guys would probably agree with that, but it was great. You know, we had the one little substitution error that I think is something that we’ll do a better job with our first punt operation, where we ended up taking the delay. But I thought (Special Teams Coordinator) John Bonamego did a really nice job. I thought (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley), like we talked about earlier and then Kevin (O'Connell), you know, his ability to communicate with Jared (Goff) throughout the game and then our communication and our dialogue, I thought it was a smooth process and we'll just continue to evaluate ourselves too. We talk about evaluating our players, but we're evaluating our process, our rhythm, our ability to communicate and have a smooth operation on gameday. Yesterday was definitely a start in the right direction. But there's definitely some things that we'll continue to always clean up and I think that'll be consistent every week."

(On how long it takes to get in the rhythm with new coaches)
"Yeah you know what, I wouldn't say too long just because you've been around them, we've been working and then it's really just, more than anything, it was good to be able to feel a real gameday demeanor, because practice is one thing where, Kevin (O’Connell), Brandon (Staley) and ‘Bono’ (John Bonamego), I thought they all did a great job. Just real steady. I think that's such an important thing to be able to display, especially as the ebbs and flows of a game unfold and players, you know, you want them to feel your poise and your ability to stay even-keeled. And then I think that was reflected by those guys last night, without a doubt."

(On preparing for back-to-back road games on the east coast)
"We'll just travel the day before and really what we've learned – especially with some of the parameters, like if you were to stay in Philly and practice for the week, with guys having to stay in their hotel rooms, you'd almost say, ‘Alright, I would rather substitute that, being able to have them sleep in their own bed. We maybe get up a little bit earlier and adjust to a rhythm.’ That's where I even think just for the mindset of having practice, training camp a lot in the mornings, where you're used to peaking at 10 a.m. in our heads, which is what that one o'clock game will be each of the next two weeks in Philly and Buffalo. So, we'll just travel the day before and just for the mental approach as well. Not keeping guys cooped up in a hotel room with just all the restrictions with what Corona entails, is the thought process behind that."

(On if he will move practice to an earlier time or try to keep it consistent)
"I'm going to keep it consistent. We end up practicing earlier on Fridays anyways. One of the days, we might end up having the meetings a little bit earlier on the Friday and Saturday, than what we're normally accustomed to, just because we'll have to travel a little bit earlier on Saturday. But, I think getting into that rhythm is as important as anything and guys being ready to peak at the right time. What we've learned too, when you talk about just your circadian rhythm, it takes a couple of weeks anyways. So, I think a lot of it is your mental approaching and the guys’ ability to say, ‘You know what? I feel good. I'm not going to allow this to be a distraction or an excuse for why we're not ready to roll at 10 a.m. – in our head – in Philly and Buffalo.’"

(On what went into punting with two and a half minutes to go)
"Yeah, I thought about it. I think it was more the confidence I had in the way that our defense had played with the adjustments that (Athletic Reporter) Jourdan (Rodrigue) talked about earlier in the call (today’s Zoom Press Conference). There's just the flow of the game. If it was something to where I felt confident in our ability to convert, but I also felt the way that our defense was playing in and the confidence I have in (P) Johnny Hecker – pin them deep inside their 10 (yard-line), they're going to have to score a touchdown to take the lead. They had missed a longer field goal earlier on. It was just kind of that fuel for the flow of a game. If the same situation comes up later on in the year, I might have a different approach, but I think there is an element of feeling the dynamics of what's going on and you’re trusting your gut in some of those situations."

(On the mood around the facility today)
"Yeah, it was good. All these new rules - we have guys come in and lift and then we had zoom meetings because Sunday's the day that they don't Covid test on gameday. So, we're all getting used to it. I made the guys unmute the screen a couple of times and give some cheers for a lot of good stuff that popped up on that film. So, it was a very good atmosphere, but the guys weren't around as much as normal. I don't like that quite as much, but like being able to be at home and just jump on a zoom call. It's a little bit easier for them."

(On if he could make up a word to describe DL Aaron Donald)
"(Inaudible word). Well, no. Well, I don't know what's a word that doesn't exist. It's more of an expression. I have no idea. It's unbelievable though. But how about that? That's an answer for ya, huh?"

(On if virtual meetings will still take place in the regular season)
"I think it will just be these Monday meetings and I'll connect with our coaches and get a feel. I think the one thing that we've definitely had to demonstrate as a team, as a coaching staff is some agility. The ability to kind of positively respond to change very quickly and rapidly. I think our guys have definitely demonstrated that and so, I want to continue to have that. But like anything, I'm always more interested in what's the best way to do things as far as just being locked in to this is how we do it and not necessarily having a reason. I want to be able to just figure out what's the best rhythm to establish for our players and then our coaches to be able to get the right information communicated to them."

(On how he came to decide to start RB Cam Akers)
"I think it was reflective of, we went into the game thinking he’d probably get a little bit more work on some of those early downs than (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) had. Malcolm had a big role on special teams. We knew he was going to be in there and a lot of those later down-and-distance situations. But that was really what went into it. But again, that's where it's uncharted waters. You don't have a lot of evaluation, especially for a rookie player. Cam is going to continue to be a big part of our offense. Last night it was Malcolm's night and I thought he delivered in a big way. It might be the same next week in Philly. It might be different. I think each week we'll kind of present different approaches, but we feel good about three running backs. I thought it was good just to get (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) in there for a couple of carries as well, even though he was a little bit more limited, but I think as he continues to get healthy, we feel really good about all three of those backs."

(On S Jordan Fuller)
"He had some plays that we definitely expect them to be better. I don't think you can ever truly simulate some of the skill and some of the looks that those guys give when you're actually playing real tackle football. I mean, you look at the…what players they have, you look at (Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) ‘Zeke’, you look at (Cowboys Qcool smiley Dak (Prescott), I think that's going to be a really good offense, just like they were last year. What I love, is that he just stayed the course, ended up making the biggest play of the game arguably on the fourth-and-3. They have a man (inaudible) route on him and he does a great job being able to come off and fight over the top and beat (Cowboys WR CeeDee) Lamb to that spot and make a sure tackle on a fourth-and-3 that we had to have. That was arguably a game-winning play. He had a couple of missed opportunities and plays that I know he'd be better from but he's such a conscientious guy that he's wired the right way to be able to handle mistakes in stride and I thought that was reflected in just the way that the game played out, where he got better as the game unfolded. Then he made a big time play when his number was called up in that situation specifically."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky258September 15, 2020 12:26AM

Re: confused

AlbaNY_Ram160September 15, 2020 02:35AM

Re: confused

zn134September 15, 2020 04:51AM