Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Is the NFL season on with Fans in the stands

August 28, 2020 12:26PM
Rams43
Rams_81
How in the world can we have 50 people maxes in small venues all over the country and kids between 0-20 can't even play golf together without masks where kids who get the virus are impacted like .0001 percent of the time

yet the NFL can play the most contact sport in the world in front of tens of thousands of people

Don't see how the inconsistency can be there to such a large extent?

Why is it okay for shoppers to go to big box stores like Costco to shop (with masks) but it’s not okay for one person to go to one barber?

It’s hard to make a helluva lot of sense out of today’s inconsistent and often illogical regulations.

This is an interesting question...one that I've asked myself.

I believe that, as the scientists learn more and more about the coronavirus, they're better able to pin down methods of transmission and account for them. Earlier today, the State of California issued new guidelines dictating the conditions under which certain businesses/establishments can open. Included in the guidelines were:

Criteria used to determine low/medium/high risk sectors

- Ability to accommodate face covering wearing at all times (e.g. eating and drinking would require removal of face covering)
- Ability to physically distance between individuals from different households
- Ability to limit the number of people per square foot
- Ability to limit duration of exposure
- Ability to limit amount of mixing of people from differing households and communities
- Ability to limit amount of physical interactions of visitors/patrons
- Ability to optimize ventilation (e.g. indoor vs outdoor, air exchange and filtration)
- Ability to limit activities that are known to cause increased spread (e.g. singing, shouting, heavy breathing; loud environs will cause people to raise voice)

So, under this criteria, a large box store (e.g. Costco) that has a lot of space and limited interaction amongst visitors and staff might see lower chances of transmission than...say, what might occur in a barber shop which typically has a much smaller space, longer direct interaction in close quarters, and only one person wearing a mask.

But I believe that the state is turning the corner (again) as, if I'm reading the information correctly, Los Angeles Co. may be able to see barber shops re-open on Monday (with certain restrictions, of course). I've already made an appointment for next Friday, so we'll see.

But these are only California rules. These criteria would be difficult to meet on a federal scale (at least, with air travel).
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Is the NFL season on with Fans in the stands

Rams_81491August 28, 2020 11:31AM

Rams43224August 28, 2020 11:56AM

ramBRO230August 28, 2020 12:26PM

California 40 million people

ferragamo79256August 28, 2020 04:09PM

Re: California 40 million people

Rams43183August 29, 2020 07:11AM

They and New York