Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams QB Jared Goff – Media Availability – August 18, 2020

August 19, 2020 02:58AM
(On what it was like to finally wear pads)
"It felt good. It felt really good. I think being out there, especially on offense being able to run the ball the way we did today with real pads and being able to really move some things up front, it was really good and a fun day for us."

(On if he watched the first episode of Hard Knocks)
“Yeah, I did.”

(On his reaction to the first episode of Hard Knocks)
"It was good. It's so different in years past because there are two teams. So, it's a little bit difficult for them to as in depth as I'm sure it's been in years past, but it was good. It was fun. It’s cool to see how other teams are operating as well."

(On if they made fun of Head Coach Sean McVay's pool scene in Hard Knocks)
"No, no we didn't (laughs)."

(On how different it feels this season with a new offensive coordinator)
"Yeah, (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O' Connell) has been really good. It's been a lot of fun working with him up to this point. And really, we've only had however many practices we've had in training camp actually working together. But he's been incredible, he's been really good and you can tell he knows what he's doing and has done it at a high level. It always helps when you have a guy coaching you that has played the position as well and he's done it at the highest level. It's been a good marriage up to this point and I've enjoyed it."

(On his personal goals for this season)
"I'm looking forward to everything. I'm looking forward to playing. I'm looking forward to getting back on the field and having fun with my teammates, scoring touchdowns, you know. Just having a good time doing what we love and you know, it's coming up soon and we're getting excited."

(On what he thinks WR Van Jefferson has been able to contribute to the team)
"(WR) Van (Jefferson) has been really good, man. He's been really good. I say that cautiously because you never want these young guys to get too far ahead of themselves (laughs). But he's been really impressive and done a good job. It reminds me a lot of when (WR) Cooper (Kupp) was a rookie, and he was just so far ahead of where a rookie kind of should be. He's done a great job. He's really picking things up fast. He's obviously extremely athletic, but I think his ability to be able to pick up the offense mentally and understand the little intricacies of it has been really impressive, and I'm excited to play with him."

(On if he thinks Jefferson's college workload on the field helped him prepare faster for this offense)
"Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it. Just being in an offense that does, maybe, some similar things at Florida. I'm not sure how much was similar, but more than anything it's the way he approaches it every day. The way he comes to work and is a pro. Not surprised, you know, his dad is an NFL coach and he kind of gets it. So, you can tell when those young guys are the ones that get it and he certainly up to this point is one of those guys."

(On McVay believing this was Goff’s best day of practice and what he thinks clicked for him today)
"Oh, man. We just finally caught our rhythm offensively, I think. When we get the pads on, it's a little bit different. I think without the pads on the pocket can be just a little bit different because we're not able to fit up as well up front just without pads. The same thing outside, and same thing running the ball. It forces the defense to react naturally and not – truly, they're supposed to react as if they have to tackle and that's what changes some things for us and allows our guys to get a little bit more open and just really open up the offense."

(On what has been his biggest impression of OLBs Leonard Floyd and Terrell Lewis)
"Yeah, I mean, you can tell they're both SEC (Southeastern Conference) guys immediately as you get on the field with them. They're both built like they're supposed to be and it's fun. I think (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd) has been fun to see him on my own team. I played against him a couple times and he's always been tough for us to deal with. He's so good, both in the run and the pass. I think that's what separates him on the edge. You know, he's obviously a good pass rusher and has that length, but dropping into coverage he's actually really good with too and has done a good job. Then (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis, we've only been out there a couple days with him, but he's done a great job as well. He's flashed in certain areas and you can't miss him on the field and we've certainly seen him."

(On if the offense will look different this season given the new personnel)
“You’ll have to wait and see, I don’t know (laughs). We always have our wrinkles every offseason and this year is no different. We’re going to try some stuff. We’re going to do a lot of the stuff we have done, but there will be some new stuff I’m sure.”

(On TE Tyler Higbee’s sentiment about the great shape Goff is in and what he did differently this offseason)
“That was nice of Tyler (Higbee). I did a lot of things, I just worked out and ate right. At the end of the day, that’s all you can really do to further your body. I took care of it. I have a trainer, I have a nutritionist, I have the whole thing going now and I feel really good.”

(On whether he feels more mobile given his nutrition and physical shape)
“I sure hope so, I better be. I’ve been working pretty hard to be that way. So yeah, I would like to be more mobile. I think it’s definitely part of it. Up to this point, I do feel a little bit faster and we’ll see if that pays off.”

(On whether he wants to be more mobile within the pocket or taking off)
“A little bit of everything, hopefully. Hopefully, I can extend plays a little bit better than I have throughout my career and continue to be the best player I can be.”

(On RBs Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“They’ve both done a great job. Like I said about (WR) Van (Jefferson) earlier, (Rcool smiley Cam’s (Akers) the same way. He shows up every day. He’s really smart, willing to learn, willing to listen and has done a great job up until this point. Both of them, I think as much as I can – you know, obviously they’re getting their coaching points from their coaches, but as much as I can give them some shortcuts to some things and allow them to understand some things from my vantage point, how I’ve seen it work in games and seen it work in practice. I think that’s the best I can do. They’ve both done a great job and I expect them to both have really good years.”

(On any specific goals going into practice and if it changes from practice to practice)
“I wouldn’t say anything is ever statistically based in practice. I’m working on different things daily, absolutely. It changes daily and that’s really mainly between me and (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell). What we want to work on that day and what we’re going into the day on what we want to work on. I think he’s done a great job with me at keeping that very focused on one or two things every day to work on. Every day, it does change. Every day we work on different things. Every day we’re doing a different phase of our offense. So yeah, there have been things and it does change.”

(On if those goals help him focus mentally)
“Absolutely. Usually, we’ll put an emphasis on it in our individual drills and then hoping that carries over into the team drills, and often it does and that’s been great.”

(On how the new Rams defense has tested him)
“They’ve been really good. They’ve done a really good job. It’s been tough for us.”

(On why he thinks DL Aaron Donald is a good player)
“Why is (DL) Aaron (Donald) so good? I think the easiest answer is how hard he works. It just shows up every day how hard he works in practice, how hard he works in the weight room, how hard he studies film. It truly makes everyone else bring their level up higher when they see the best player on the field, arguably the best player in this league, working as hard as he does every day. I expect him to have another Defensive Player of the Year type of year and I know he does too.”

(On whether he notices more rotation in the Rams secondary)
“They’ve rotated guys, both 1’s and 2’s. I don’t think there’s much I could divulge that would even give anything away. But yeah, they’ve done a good job rotating guys in and out. But, it’s nothing unusual.”

(On his impressions of S Terrell Burgess and S Jordan Fuller)
“They’ve both done a good job. They’ve both done a really good job. I think both of them have interceptions at this point and picking up good. Picking up really good. Have a lot of speed, really smart and I think in that defense they’re going to really thrive.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay & DL Michael Brockers – Media Availability – August 18, 2020

Shaky341August 19, 2020 02:57AM

Shaky285August 19, 2020 02:58AM

My favorite parts were about Staley...

Rams43154August 19, 2020 07:52AM