Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay & DL Michael Brockers – Media Availability – August 18, 2020

August 19, 2020 02:57AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay & DL Michael Brockers – Media Availability – August 18, 2020
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On how the first day of practice with pads went)
"It was good, you know the thing that's been good about that is our guys have really learned how to practice with or without pads being able to go full speed. I think that's one of the big things. Learning how to be a pro, is how to practice full speed whether you're playing with or without pads. Obviously we can thud up. We didn't tackle today, but today really represented our third practice of real football, going offense versus defense. Guys did a great job, and it was certainly good to be able to hear those pads pop a little bit. The guys where smart about doing it the right way, and that's exactly what we wanted."

(On how it was practicing without S Taylor Rapp today)
"He just got a little knee right now. We feel good about him being on track to get back on the field sooner than later, but it's just a little knee right now."

(On if OLB Justin Lawler was practicing today)
"No. Well, he got his foot stepped on and we're getting that thing checked out. Hopefully, we get some good news, but that was why he wasn't out there."

(On what it was like to watch the running backs practice with pads on today)
"It’s been good. These guys have done a nice job. You know, I continue to come away impressed with the leadership from (Running Backs Coach) Thomas Brown, (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown has done a great job setting an example for that room. I think (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson has taken a lot of good steps in the right direction, where you can see he's really grasping a lot of the things that we're doing offensively whether it's the run or the pass game. You see where (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) is and (Rcool smiley John Kelly is a solid player."

(On if he’s seen any improvement with QB Jared Goff)
"Yeah, I think he's just continuing to grow. (Offensive Coordinator Coach) Kevin O'Connell done a phenomenal job with him. I think those two have a great rapport. Just every little thing, fundamentals, details, snap in and snap out. There's so much that the QB position entails, above the neck, physically. I think those two being able to work together is going to be a huge benefit to Jared. I think he's really receptive to him. I think (Assistant Quarter Backs Coach) Liam Coen has also done a really nice job. I've been very pleased with Jared. I thought today he had his best day yet."

(On what he was able to see Goff do in practice today)
"Made completions, took what the defense gave him, made good decisions consistently. I thought we got in and out the huddle the right way. It was on track for doing things with the standards that we have set and I though it started with his performance today."

(On if any rookies made an impression during training camp)
"You know, I've been really impressed with all these guys, but those two young safeties, when you look at (S Terrell) Burgess and (S Jordan) Fuller have really been standouts the last couple of days and (WR) Van Jefferson has really done an excellent job these last few days. He's made a lot of plays. He's got great ability to be able to work edges on people, separate, good aggressive hands, he's physical, but Burgess and Fuller. Its been good getting (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis back out on the field. We've talked about what a special player Cam Akers is. I think when you look at those guys that we're really counting on to contribute from that draft class, we’ve been very pleased. They got a long way to go but they're certainly doing things the right way and I think that's a credit to them and also the leadership from their coaches."

(On what he saw from the O-line and D-line during practice)
"I think it's good to be able to, you know, when you're fitting it and when you're hitting blocks up front, you can hear those collisions and it sounds good. I think it's more realistic for those guys. It was just an overall smart but physical day. I think we try to mix it up where we get a lot of the competitive work where we're going ones-on-ones. But then also, kind of getting some of our ones versus some of the younger guys. But when we really do ramp it up in those competitive periods, that's when you can really feel those fronts are going to make each other better. I mean clearly when you look at the way (DT) Aaron (Donald) performs day in and day out. I've been really pleased with (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd, (DL) Michael Brockers continues to be a great leader. So, I've been pleased with our defensive front and then the leadership from (OL Andrew) Whitworth, (OL Rob) Havenstein, and (OL Austin) Blythe and seeing a couple of our young guards, those guys are making steps in the right direction."

(On his reaction after viewing the first episode of Hard Knocks this season)
"I just wanted to make sure that I didn't come off as a total tool with my shirt off at my house in the pool. That was my biggest concern. As soon as I did that with them, I said 'I cannot believe I was that dumb to do that.' If you can believe, it was actually worse before we cut a couple of those scenes out. So, I came away scathed, but not as scarred as I would have been otherwise."

(On LB Terrell Lewis)
"Yeah, he certainly looks like you're supposed to. I mean, he is exactly what you want when you draw up a Madden player, in terms of what that outside edge player looks like. (Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula has done great with him. It's been good just getting him back into the building and getting into the flow. You forget when he missed a few of those days with the COVID-IR. He's feeling good. He's looked good the last three days in practice and has got a long way to go. But, you definitely see the flashes and we're encouraged with what we've seen with Terrell so far."

(On Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
"It's been great. I've been so impressed with (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) from the first time I met him. I think his ability to collaborate with our defensive coaches that have already been in place, his big picture understanding. When we talk football with this guy, I'm sure you can tell in the few times that you've spent a little time with him in these media sessions, he's an impressive person. He's a great human being. His capacity for football is as good as I've been around. He has a big picture understanding for offense and defense. He knows how to attack protections. He knows how to manipulate route combinations with coverage principles. He knows how to get guys freed up, up front. I'm very excited about the leadership that he's provided and most importantly, he's established a great rapport with the coaches and the players. I think they feel really good. Knowing we have a long way to go, but I couldn't be happier with what Brandon's done so far."

(On if he agrees with DL Michael Brockers' sentiment of playing football offers a distraction from the pandemic and any ensuing challenges)
"I agree with what (DL Michael) Brockers is saying right there because as long as we're smart, and everybody's doing the right things day in and day out to keep the ecosystem right, you can go play football with a quieted mind knowing that 'Hey, we're getting tested every day.' Guys are making the mature decisions outside of when we're here and I think there is an element of there's so many things that you want to do to risk mitigate, but when you get out on the field, there's a little bit of a release where you can focus on playing football. You almost forgot how much you enjoy being out on the field with these guys. Competing and being able to do what we do. And that offer a nice kind of escape, if you will. While you still want to do the right things, but our goal is to make sure we're risk mitigating and doing all the right things outside of when we're playing football, so when everybody is taking care of their business, you know it's just not going to create itself unless someone brings it in."

(On any concerns about Brockers’ ankle)
"He's a guy who's had a lot of experience. He's done a nice job of the rehab. I just have so much confidence in (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott and his group, that they felt good about the trajectory (Brockers) was on in terms of getting back and being back to normal. That was a significant injury he suffered against the (Arizona) Cardinals last year, but he's done his part. I think he's had great guidance from our medical staff and he looks like himself on the field these last few days. Very, very thankful that we didn't lose him to the (Baltimore) Ravens."

Rams DL Michael Brockers
(On getting back into pads today)
“I don't know, man, I felt like a baby in water a little bit, just putting these pads on for the first time in a couple of months. It's always some things you feel like you should've did better. So, I mean I like it that way. Nothing is perfect and you’ve always got something to correct and get better. So, today was a great day.”

(On any lingering effects from his ankle injury)
“Not that I know of. I've been going full speed every practice. No let up, really no treatment besides a little bit of old man stuff just to keep me going and stay stretched, but besides that I feel great.”

(On at what point of preseason he felt his ankle was 100 percent)
“With all this Corona and stuff like that, I kind of used it as a blessing in disguise. It gave me a little bit more time to rehab, little bit more time to totally get comfortable with the ankle, pushing off of it and stuff like that. So with all that time off, a lot of rehab sessions. I feel great. I think all the time that we had off, I used productively, and I was ready to rock and roll when camp started.”

(On taking the ball away being a point of emphasis for the defense considering the back-to-back interceptions in today’s practice)
“Definitely at this point in time, early on, to see the secondary as on point as they are is definitely a good sight. On the defensive line, me personally, I feel like I have to be better with my hands, stuff like that you have to get used to with hitting pads rather than taking a little bit off going through walk-thrus and stuff like that. But for the most part, today was a great day. Some good things, some bad things and, you know, it’s going to be a great session for us post-practice when we get to look at this film and get better from some of our mistakes.”

(On the impact of not having DT A'Shawn Robinson there on the defensive line)
“We’re just missing one of our key components. This unit is about having a bunch of great guys, at the starter position, at the backup position, that can all pretty much start. So, to talk about those guys on the second team, we don't even call them that because we rotate so much. And just having depth behind us, having depth behind 'AD' (DL Aaron Donald), getting him off the field sometimes, so we can be able to go later quarters and stuff like that. So, I think having him is going to be great, adding to our depth and stuff like that."

(On OLB Leonard Floyd)
"The guy has a motor out of this world. Even 'AD' (DL Aaron Donald) told me the other day, 'Man, I love running game with him because he is off that ball'. So, his first step, getting of the rock, him coming underneath, and just his practice habit. What you see on gameday is what you see at practice as well, because he's going full tilt. That's what you like to see because you get a full visual of how he rushes and how you can help him with your rushes as well."

(On OLB Terrell Lewis)
"That dude, he's a massive dude. At first, I was like, "Yeah, that's the guy that they've got replacing me," then I saw him at outside linebacker, and I was like, "What? What's up?" (laughs), but he's picking up very well. He's doing all the right things as a rookie, but there are things that he has to learn, has to adapt to in the NFL, but we've got time. He'll catch up most definitely with the coaches we've got. I know he'll definitely be up to par when we come September 13th."

(On how different the defense is compared to the last couple of years)
"It's still a 3-4 basis. (Former Rams Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) was a little different, as far as having a solid three, having a four. This defense we can play all over. So it's a little bit of, I don't know, it's the same but it's not, man. You'll see September 13th what we'll come out with, but it's still a 3-4 basis. We’re bringing definitely a lot of different things, coming along, especially with (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon Staley and his whole package."

(On what working with Brandon Staley has been like)
"It's been a great honor, man. The guy comes in wanting to work, he comes with a lot of juice every morning. He actually makes you want to feel like you want to play. I told him the first time we were on the Zoom call, he had me fired up, ready to go. I wanted to put my helmet on, on the Zoom call because he had me so fired up. For most part, he's been completely down to earth. He's a perfectionist. He wants it to look the way he wants it to look, but at the same time, you know it comes out all out of love and he just wants us to perform and be the best players we can be."

(On experiencing the defense in person instead of virtually on Zoom)
"We definitely know Zoom is a little different. Just kind of learning the plays, it's like x's and o's, and I was all over the place early on, but as a walked through the plays and got a little bit more comfortable with the calls, in and out, and stuff like that. I thought it was very well put together. It's about practicing and repetition. I think the more reps we get throughout these practices and padded practices, we'll get way more comfortable. But as far as looking at it right now, I think we're on the right path."

(On if he forgets about the pandemic while practicing in full pads)
"It takes your mind off of it a little bit, man. It's kind of a free space here. When you go out in the world, you've got all this news and the numbers are going up. But when you're in here, we talk about nothing but ball and I think that helps a lot of these players get their mind off of what's really out there and it kind of simplifies it for us. For us football players, I think we’re out here, and this is our little getaway, to get away from the world and get away from everything and understand how healthy and how our ecosystem is. It's almost like this is the best place you want to be right now."

(On how comfortable he is with the COVID-19 protocols in place right now)
"As comfortable as I can be. That's stuff that we have to make sure that we get done. We've got kids, wives, grandparents, mothers, fathers that we have to think about as we move forward throughout this pandemic. So, we have to be comfortable with whatever standards there are and follow through with them."

(On how many times he has heard the word ecosystem so far)
"A bunch, a bunch and we plan on keeping it free and clear of Corona as far as all the protocols that we have to do. So like I said earlier, at work it’s pretty much the safest place you can be as far as right now."
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky341August 19, 2020 02:57AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams QB Jared Goff – Media Availability – August 18, 2020

Shaky286August 19, 2020 02:58AM

My favorite parts were about Staley...

Rams43154August 19, 2020 07:52AM