Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

July 25, 2020 08:13AM
RockRam
I read the article about the NFL and NFLPA agreement. What is not clear to me what the fallout is when active players get the virus. I can't imagine that the team shuts down because it is close to inevitable that at least one person on every team will contract it. Doesn't mean they'll get sick; it's only that they'll test positive.

Anybody know anything about the procedures in this case?

Don't know what the procedure is/will be, but like you said...I would think that any player testing positive would be put on the shelf for a minimum of 14 days. Thereafter, I'm sure that they'd have to test negative for 2-3 days straight prior to clearance.

My concern is that a QB becomes infected. This could expose the whole unit. I think it would be wise for all teams to go with 3 QB's on their roster this season and have the 3rd QB essentially stay home and participate in team/unit meetings via skype.

Personally I still think the NFL and NFLPA needed to create a kind of bubble for players and all the team personnel who regularly come in contact with them (like coaches and trainers) since it is the NFL's intent to have a season, and the players are intent on continuing their incomes and counting this time towards their contract terms. That is, the players could live in quarantined hotel "dorms". They eat together and basically have almost no contact with others, including family, during training camp and the season, and post season for those teams that make it that far. Yes, of course, that's tough. On the other hand, for most teams it is for no more than 4 months, and for a few perhaps 5 months or a tad more. But if safety truly is a major concern (and clearly it is) then this is one way to enhance it.

I've always thought that putting the teams/staffs in a bubble was the best way to go. If I were the commish, I'd designate 5 - 6 sites to host all the games (preferably within a single region to reduce the amount of travel). The players and staff would all be quarantined within a bubble (e.g. Vegas resort).

Under my plan, players/staff would be quarantined from family and friends (who would most likely be the source of transmission). Now, over the course of a typical season, something like this would be a HUGE challenge for all involved. But I think that these challenges could be mitigated by giving all teams quarterly bye weeks. This way, after, say...Week 4, everyone goes home to be with family (or whatever). However, 24 hours prior to returning to their respective bubbles, players/staff would have to test negative before being allowed admittance.

EXPENSIVE, but do-able...and likely way more effective than just letting everyone run wild in the general population right now.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

RockRam266July 25, 2020 04:37AM

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again...

Rams43186July 25, 2020 06:38AM

Re: Not sure, 43

leafnose157July 25, 2020 07:03AM

Re: Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

ramBRO134July 25, 2020 08:13AM