Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

July 25, 2020 04:37AM
I read the article about the NFL and NFLPA agreement. What is not clear to me what the fallout is when active players get the virus. I can't imagine that the team shuts down because it is close to inevitable that at least one person on every team will contract it. Doesn't mean they'll get sick; it's only that they'll test positive.

Anybody know anything about the procedures in this case?

Again, I can't imagine the NFL using a "zero tolerance" for Covid philosophy or it's pointless to even try to hold the season.

Obviously if a player tests positive he'll be put on the shelf. But for how long? Until he no longer tests positive....or after a period of quarantine.....or????

Personally I still think the NFL and NFLPA needed to create a kind of bubble for players and all the team personnel who regularly come in contact with them (like coaches and trainers) since it is the NFL's intent to have a season, and the players are intent on continuing their incomes and counting this time towards their contract terms. That is, the players could live in quarantined hotel "dorms". They eat together and basically have almost no contact with others, including family, during training camp and the season, and post season for those teams that make it that far. Yes, of course, that's tough. On the other hand, for most teams it is for no more than 4 months, and for a few perhaps 5 months or a tad more. But if safety truly is a major concern (and clearly it is) then this is one way to enhance it.

Obviously from the agreement, the NFL and NFLPA are trying to balance money with risk. Neither wants to consider only one or the other. Rather the decision is to mitigate risk to some level as opposed to eliminating it.

Honestly, with as much griping about it as I did, that they were able to agree on a platform (no matter what it is) that balanced the clear financial issues for both sides with being responsible about health, is really the way this needed to be done. Both sides have bought in, so there is no "imposing" it. This is the American way.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

RockRam266July 25, 2020 04:37AM

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again...

Rams43186July 25, 2020 06:38AM

Re: Not sure, 43

leafnose157July 25, 2020 07:03AM

Re: Isn't it nearly 100% that some players will get Covid? Then what?

ramBRO135July 25, 2020 08:13AM