Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: An insightful post about Ram coaching relationships by den-the-coach...

May 27, 2020 09:20AM
Rams43
zn
Rams43
O'Connell will not only free up Sean McVay, but also Aaron Kromer, so Kromer can focus more on the Offensive Line.... @OldSchool & I have posted about this, that when Kromer is given more responsibilities, it seems the OL takes a step back, well, now hopefully Kromer can get back doing what he does best, teaching and coaching up the Offensive Linemen.

That's a good post. I don't agree with this bit though. Kromer HAS had more responsibilities than just OL coach before and did well when he did. He was effectively the run game coordinator in Buffalo from 2015-16, and they did well at that. He was the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR in Chicago and still kept a hand in coaching that OL, and that OL did well. The offense slipped his second year (2014, and I think that was mostly issues with Cutler) but the OL never slipped there. Anyway OL coaches are frequently the run game coordinator--just adding the title of run game coordinator is a way to sort of promote a guy, it doesn't mean he added new responsibilities. (Hanifan was in effect Martz's run game coordinator.)

I think what went wrong with the OL last year had nothing to do with Kromer. From what I saw, that was both OTs starting out the season shaky. If anything he helped right the ship because the OL stabilized toward the end, and that was with 3 inexperienced injury replacements. Normally we don't have the right to expect anything good from that...but they did it. They couldn't do that if the coach was an issue by being overstretched or whatever.

I also doubt O'Connell takes over the running game. It seems to me he's the qb coach and contributes to the passing game--the guy he frees up is McV, not Kromer.

I agree with your take on the focus of O’Connell’s duties.

As to Kromer? Nobody is a bigger fan of Kromer than den. Heck, he’s the one that opened my eyes about the coach. But whether we grade Kromer as an OL coach or a Run Coordinator, the fact remains that ‘19 was not a stellar year (to be polite). So, as always, the man in charge should be prepared to receive his fair share of criticism when things go sideways. Just the way it is.

Not to say that any of us doubt that Kromer is still a helluva coach, of course.

Yes, 2019 was not a good year, mostly (actually I think coming through with 3 inexperienced injury replacements is very good work). I just don't put much of went wrong in 2019 directly on Kromer. I agree with the principle of "fair share" of criticism, I just personally don't think that in this particular case it's deserved.

So what I disagreed with (and it was a small, "among friends" disagreement, this ain't no Warner v. Bulger board war lol) was the idea that AK was overextended. As I said, he has had extended responsibilities before and done well, and also, OL coaches are often the de facto run game coordinator. Just adding the title didn't in itself necessarily add responsibilities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 09:22AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An insightful post about Ram coaching relationships by den-the-coach...

Rams43503May 27, 2020 07:20AM

zn208May 27, 2020 08:43AM

Rams43175May 27, 2020 09:13AM

zn153May 27, 2020 09:20AM

Rams43137May 27, 2020 09:52AM

zn141May 27, 2020 10:52AM

Rams43135May 27, 2020 12:27PM

zn132May 27, 2020 12:53PM

Rams43148May 27, 2020 12:59PM

nope

zn138May 27, 2020 01:10PM

Re: Did he pick the players or play the hand dealt?

hammer154May 27, 2020 01:37PM

Re: Did he pick the players or play the hand dealt?

Rams43143May 27, 2020 01:43PM