Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An analysis of this team as it stands now post by oldnotdead...

May 01, 2020 12:31PM
I don’t agree with his take on Allen and Ebu, but do think the rest of his post was both interesting and well worth sharing...

Here’s oldnotdead...

This is a very good team right now. In my opinion, it's an underrated team, especially by the media. They have improved in key areas and are set to make a comeback.

OFFENSE

The o-line has largely been rebuilt with 2 exceptions at both OT's. Whitworth clearly showed his age last year with his playing grade dropping significantly from the previous 2 years. That said he's still a better than average LT and hopefully, he remains so because the Rams are committed to him for the next two years. Assuming that Allen returns, they are improved on the interior o-line. I see no reason Allen can't return and continue to develop. Last year I judged Allen's play to be at a slightly better than average level overall, which is good for a first year starter and better than Sullivan and Blythe. He can build on that and continue to improve. Corbett joined the team during the season yet he stepped right in and helped to stabilize a disintegrating o-line devastated by injuries. He played well and should play better with a season to train and gel with his teammates. Edwards at RG also elevated the play at his position. Even though his metrics scream OT, he showed he can play at this level. His experience on the right side will serve him well as I expect him to slide outside next year to RT when Havenstein is released or traded. With an entire TC to practice the implementation of a new blocking scheme, the overall play of the o-line should improve.

I expect this offense to transition to a power gap run scheme focusing upon running between the tackles. They have 2 good RBs who should thrive in that kind of run scheme. Both have the speed to take advantage of the blocks and are one cut RBs who can break arm tackles. Last year the RBs clearly had problems reading the blocking when they switched during the season to a gap blocked run attack. Both RBs now will be in sync with the scheme and their execution should be at a high level. As I speculated in other posts, a power run game requires a lead blocker. Teams like the Niners employ a FB. But that lead blocker can also be a TE. I believe that is the reason they drafted Hopkins. All the media types are saying he can't block. But blocking is a skill that is taught. Also, Hopkins did perform wham blocks at Purdue. Using a TE, especially one that can catch (unlike Mundt) does not tip the play to the defense. He can play from the H-back position or come in motion.

With the drafting of Jefferson, the Ram passing game does not miss Cooks. Jefferson still can provide the possession routes and receptions and he has the speed to go deep along with Woods. Think of him as a hybrid of Woods (vertical routes) and Kupp (possession routes). I see Jefferson ahead of Reynolds on the depth chart as the #3 WR. He can play all 3 WR positions but I think the slot maximizes his ability to be a mismatch. He's too fast and elusive for safeties and LBs and will force them to cover him with their #3 CB. IMO Jefferson is Wood's eventual replacement in 2022.

The inside run game will pay big dividends in the play-action game. Defenses will have to honor it whereas with the old simplistic outside zone it was a far easier read. I still see them playing with their 11 personnel most of the time. It forces teams out of their base and to play with their nickel. This takes one man out of the box. I still see McVay layering his receivers but now with Higbee, Everett, Henderson and Akers they have dump-off options that can still threaten a defense. This offense will be designed to give Goff easier and faster reads allowing him to throw quickly. I can envision Woods running his patented deep sideline route (9 route), Jefferson running a post route (8) forcing the FS to double leaving Woods in single coverage, with Kupp on a 10-15 yard in (6 route) with Higbee or Everett on a short slant (2 route) for a quick throw option. While all that's going on do they run a draw with Henderson or Akers?

This offense is designed to play ball control, but be able to strike quickly when it has to. They will be dangerous on any part of the field both in their run game as well as their passing offense. I really like what I'm seeing developing on this team.

DEFENSE

Staley is going to stay with the 3-4 hybrid as he should as it will give him maximum flexibility on how he plays his guys. But the Ram front 4 could end up being one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL. With Donald and Robinson, they can blow up the pocket or disrupt any inside run. They have speed on the edges with Floyd and Lewis. They will only have to rush 4 to get quick pressure on the QB.

Though relatively untested, the Rams have talent at LB. They have one of the better SAM OLBs in Ebukam who is a bonafide impact player. He can rush the passer, play pass defense in coverage, and most of all he sets a hard edge in the run defense. They have good speed at ILB in Kiser, Young, Howard and Reed all running in the 4.6 range. Kiser can be that classic MIKE who is a real thumper. If he can stay healthy he looks like he could be a force inside in the run defense. Young has a solid resume during his last year with the Ravens. He can blitz, cover and tackle. He's the size and speed of a SS but he plays like an OLB and I wouldn't be surprised if Staley slides him outside opposite Ebukam or uses him in relief of Samson. People view the LBs as a weakness but there is real talent there and I think their play will open a lot of eyes because I expect Staley to use them properly, in ways Wade didn't.

The Rams have the CBs to play tight man coverage with Ramsey and Long. Their safeties are very good as well. Johnson lacks the range you really want in a FS but his play recognition skills are improving and it allows him to read the plays faster. I really think however, this will be Johnson's last season with Burgess replacing him. But this year I think Burgess will see the field as a slot CB. He has the agility and quickness, coupled with boundary CB speed to play that position.

Adonis Alexander is an interesting prospect. I'm not sure where he fits in. He's got ILB size and good speed for a man of his size at 4.6. At 6'2" he's a Richard Sherman type of boundary CB. He doesn't have the burst or agility to play slot CB. He struggles in zone coverage so he's not a safety. I see him as strictly a backup/rotational boundary CB.

Hill is another DB I'm not sure how he fits in this scheme. He has shown repeatedly how he struggles in man coverage. He lacks the agility and burst to mirror receivers particularly out of their breaks. Hill's stats are inflated from last year simply because Wade played mostly zone coverage. In that coverage he posted his best numbers. But in man coverage schemes he allowed a terrible 65% completion rate vs his coverage and some of those incompletions were bad throws by the QB so his numbers are probably closer to 70%.

Once Burgess moves to FS Williams will provide a good slot CB. I liked what I saw last year from Williams, he looked solid as a slot CB. I think the Rams are set this year and next with a very good secondary built to provide good man coverage. That will force most QBs to hold the ball that extra second or two and give the d-line time to get to him.

I really like the makeup of this team and think they are a contender this year and next as well.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An analysis of this team as it stands now post by oldnotdead...

Rams43919May 01, 2020 12:31PM

Troy Reeder - 4.6?!

Suh-weet!307May 01, 2020 01:11PM

Fuller faster than his 40 time also

BumRap255May 01, 2020 04:38PM

Re: An analysis of this team as it stands now post by oldnotdead...

rampage666412May 01, 2020 02:08PM

After reading this, a question for the board coached

OzRam289May 01, 2020 02:18PM

He lost me at Allen better than Blythe at C

stlramz248May 01, 2020 02:25PM

And T. Hill struggled?

PHDram229May 01, 2020 04:47PM

Re: He lost me at Allen better than Blythe at C

den-the-coach208May 02, 2020 06:14AM

Re: He lost me at Allen better than Blythe at C

bigjimram21214May 02, 2020 07:16AM

Blythe is bad